Spyder Garage

Default Oil Temperature gauge

Wondering if anyone has put an oil temp gauge on a Spyder? (1330 engine)
    looking for info on whether it has been done, type, source of gauge, install info, etc.
    Not interested in why or why not it is or is not needed-just actual install info.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

can't believe no one has done this
    so many here have done so much to their Spyders, but not this?

Spyder Garage

I figured you didn't want to discuss the pros & cons of why or why not, but now you've asked..... I thought about it, & talked to a few of the local race bike engineers here, who collectively convinced me there was no real point or any benefit to be had in fitting that type of gauge.......

If I can pass on their explanation coherently... basically, it comes down to these engines being dry sump motors with external oil coolers, all computer monitored & controlled; so there's not going to be all that much 'helpful info' for the operator to be gleaned from an oil temp or oil pressure gauge.... the major point being that your oil temp (& pressure) is either going to be controlled & safe, or it's not - and if something breaks/gives up so that it's not, then your check engine light IS going to go on pdq & you'll very rapidly be dumped into limp home mode or the engine will be shut down. And that process is going to happen in less than a second of the oil system &/or cooler not keeping the oil temps & pressure within the specified 'safe' parameters, which is likely to be well before you'll be able to notice & react to any changes in the info shown on a gauge.

But there are apparently quite a few places you can tap into to get that info to a gauge - altho the biggest risk with that is that by tapping in anywhere, you'll upset things enough to kick off one of those warnings & trigger limp home mode.... So if you REALLY want to see that sort of info, you might be better off tracking down a Scan-gauge or similar that can read all the electronic info which is already collected & used by the system, and work out how to display whatever bits of the collected info are going to be of most interest or helpful to you....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-11-2018 at 07:47 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

really not looking at tapping into any electrical system on the bike-not necessary.
    Power for the gauge coming from a switched circuit is no big deal..
    The hard part is where to install the sending unit.
    I have done water temp installs many times and the source is easy-install the sending unit in a radiator hose.
    Not so easy for oil. Can't think of a place to install the sending unit. With many engines there is a threaded hole to use for the sending unit. Not about to tap a hole so I'm thinking I should find another project.
    Was hoping to see if it had been done, guess not.

Spyder Garage

Default Go here for Oil PSI Gauge info on a Spyder.

http://www.spyderrt.info/

Go here - Randal has all info, and what to do. Not so hard. And relatively inexpensive.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I LOOKED but could not find "Oil Temp" just pressure???

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Ken View Post
    http://www.spyderrt.info/

Go here - Randal has all info, and what to do. Not so hard. And relatively inexpensive.
    I found "oil pressure" Not oil temp.???

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it.....

The trick is finding where the sending unit for oii temp is on the spyder. Now a simple TEE off an exisiting oil line or the oil pressure sending unit would get you a reading but you really need to be reading at the hottest point. Should not be that hard to do but more than likely will not match the readings and results from the spyder's measure...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There are oil pressure and temperature sensors in the Hydraulic Control Module, Based on what I see in the parts list the HCM is apparently sold only as a complete unit and the sensors are not removable. That's the only oil temperature sensor I find in the service manual. Here's a blurb about the temp sensor.

HCM.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

@Indiana Ken
    thanks for the link
    real good stuff there
    but no temp gauge info
    There are some good DIY tips, everybody who does "stuff" to their Spyder should go through that site