Spyder Garage

Default Ultimate versus Corbin versus Coast to Coast Seats for F3L

Hello All

I'm in the process of trying to decide on a new seat. I've had an RT with a RDL in the past and yes it was the best. I'm not considering the RDL for F3 as I moved from the RT because I wanted to sit in the bike, not on it and the RDL raises you up due to the suspension system in the seat. I know Corbin has had F3 seats for a while and Ultimate just came out with their version. The Corbin per history will be hard until break-in and some people just don't ever like them. What's the prevailing thought on the Ultimate, is it worth it over the Can Am Coast to coast seat as all three are about the same price. I can get heated seats with the Corbin but not the others mentioned and as I live in the frozen north, that might have value.

I don't want to be pushed further away from the bars or pedals so give me your thoughts based on personal experience with the Coast to Coast, Corbin and Ultimate. I typically ride for 2-3 hours but sometimes do 500 mile trips.

Thanks

Mark
    2016 Spyder F3-L Special Series
    2016 Spyder RT Special Series

Spyder Garage

Default Seat

I found that the Coast to Coast is not much different than stock. Spend the money and get a Russell Day Long made just for you.

Spyder Garage

Mark,

With the Corbin seat there is no returning it if you do not like it. With the Ultimate they give you two weeks to see if it's right for you. If you return it it will cost you the shipping (both ways), but you do get the price of the seat back.
    As for the BRP seat see if a dealer who has one will let you return it if you don't like it.

For me when I have the funds I will get an RDL seat for my F3 - even if it raises me up some as there isn't a better seat out there.

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I’ve had the Coast to Coast and the Cannonball on my F3-L and found virtually no difference to stock. I can’t help with the Corbin and Ultimate choice as I have an RDL, but I believe Mustang also make a seat for the F3-L.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Ultimate versus Corbin versus BRP options....

Thanks all for the comments so far..

Les, the RDL while I agree is totally the end all be all comfort package, I just don't want the elevation it will give me, probably 2.5 " minimum and that changes the dynamics of the bike for me. i appreciate hearing from the rest of you regarding the BRP options not being different from stock, while that was my guess, it's good to hear it validated from folks with actual experience. Would like to hear from folks with experience with the Ultimate, even you RT guys and gals as that would be applicable in this case.

mk
    2016 Spyder F3-L Special Series
    2016 Spyder RT Special Series

Spyder Garage

I had the Corbin on my STL and Liked it, except on long rydes where I depended on my Air Hawk to get me threw the day. On my new F3 I went with Ultimate. Im still in the evaluation stage but so far, so good. I can tell you more after Spyderfest. I had purchased a Lamonster backrest for my stock seat and could use it on the Ultimate. I just had to swap out a part. They charge you 45.00 for the part but refund that back when you send them the part you took off the Lamonster backrest. The Ultimate seat did sit me about an inch higher and an inch further back because I ordered the Tall Boy. After break in I may lose that inch because their site says it puts you at the same height as stock. To be honest I felt the inch at first but do not feel it now. Maybie I just got used to it, Maybie it just settled and broke in..
    The Corbin I had on my ST was the Lamonster cut in which they scoop out more padding to get you to feel like you are sittin in it rather than on it. I did still consider the Corbin but cost was my main determining factor. You will pay more for the Corbin and I am already farkel poor as you can see from all the stuff in the list below, LOL.
    Last edited by AY4B; 04-09-2018 at 08:47 AM.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I have a leather Coast to Coast and agree with the others that it is not much different than stock. I would get a Russell.

Spyder Garage

Default I have

The RDL seat on my F3T and had them only raise me up about an inch and a quarter. They will work with you on the height. As far as the set back you can always change the handlebars .

Just what worked for.
    Dave....

2016 Red/Black F3T w/ Audio
    Bajha Ron Swaybar, BRP driving lights
    F4 Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy Seat
    BRP Passenger Backrest
    Custom Dynamics fender lights
    Tricled Rear Bag lights w/ Flashing Brake Modulator
    Wolo Horn, Lamonster's Bungee Buttons
    Spyderpops Bumper Skid

Spyder Garage

Default Tall boy rider size question AY4B

AY4B. Just curious how tall you are and what your weight is. I am considering the tall boy and think being pushed back an inch would be great. I am 6’4” and weigh 235. I assume you are fairly tall if you went with the tall boy Have you found the height is still settling down?

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I had the Corbin on my STL and Liked it, except on long rydes where I depended on my Air Hawk to get me threw the day. On my new F3 I went with Ultimate. Im still in the evaluation stage but so far, so good. I can tell you more after Spyderfest. I had purchased a Lamonster backrest for my stock seat and could use it on the Ultimate. I just had to swap out a part. They charge you 45.00 for the part but refund that back when you send them the part you took off the Lamonster backrest. The Ultimate seat did sit me about an inch higher and an inch further back because I ordered the Tall Boy. After break in I may lose that inch because their site says it puts you at the same height as stock. To be honest I felt the inch at first but do not feel it now. Maybie I just got used to it, Maybie it just settled and broke in..
    The Corbin I had on my ST was the Lamonster cut in which they scoop out more padding to get you to feel like you are sittin in it rather than on it. I did still consider the Corbin but cost was my main determining factor. You will pay more for the Corbin and I am already farkel poor as you can see from all the stuff in the list below, LOL.

Spyder Garage

Default Cannon Ball seat review

First, RDL is booked into September and requires down time. Second, even if my bike was fitted with a Lazy Boy recliner I would still squirm in the seat of anything after 3 plus hours of riding.
    1. The cannon Ball seat gave me two great seats in one. The stock 2016 F3L front seat was a decent seat for me but I gained more riding comfort and saddle time as it is slightly thicker. It does not seem to raise my riding position.
    2. The REAL BONUS IS THE REAR SEAT!The passenger seat is a HUGE upgrade and adds to the ride quality for the passenger. I had a friend give me a ride on my bike and was stunned how comfortable the rear seat was and how well the pocket secured the passenger. I thought the passenger would be subject to a rougher ride sitting on the tail but the opposite is true. Not a single hard road hit got through to me on the back seat. Jealous of how comfortable my passenger is back there.
    3. I have the Smooth Spyder back rest which is the most well crafted, adjustable, and well made product I have had on any cycle. When riding solo I have it forward for me and it only slightly makes contact with the wider Cannon Ball seats. When I occasionally have a passenger, I rotate it backward for the passenger. The quality and stoutness of the hardware is amazing.

http://www.smoothspyder.com/f-3-backrest/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-Spyd...72.m2749.l2649

I'm really pleased with mine and my passenger upgraded riding comfort.
    Dennis

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gcclubs View Post
    AY4B. Just curious how tall you are and what your weight is. I am considering the tall boy and think being pushed back an inch would be great. I am 6’4” and weigh 235. I assume you are fairly tall if you went with the tall boy Have you found the height is still settling down?
    Im 6'3 300 pounds. My weight works to help squish down the padding. The extra inch, I can barely tell its there. Some people that are not tall but have a large bottom could use the tall boy just because it give a little more butt room. My wife got a Harley tall boy that is 2 inches further back on her Road King. She wanted it further back just because the stock seat had you right up to the tank and she is only 5'9". Same with the Spyder seat. Its stock position has you right up to the tank. Every inch helps.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MKrone View Post
    Hello All

I'm in the process of trying to decide on a new seat. I've had an RT with a RDL in the past and yes it was the best. I'm not considering the RDL for F3 as I moved from the RT because I wanted to sit in the bike, not on it and the RDL raises you up due to the suspension system in the seat. I know Corbin has had F3 seats for a while and Ultimate just came out with their version. The Corbin per history will be hard until break-in and some people just don't ever like them. What's the prevailing thought on the Ultimate, is it worth it over the Can Am Coast to coast seat as all three are about the same price. I can get heated seats with the Corbin but not the others mentioned and as I live in the frozen north, that might have value.

I don't want to be pushed further away from the bars or pedals so give me your thoughts based on personal experience with the Coast to Coast, Corbin and Ultimate. I typically ride for 2-3 hours but sometimes do 500 mile trips.

Thanks

Mark
    I know you are looking for information on a custom seat,but my experience is on something different. I bought a gel pad from motorcycledave. I put it in and it was not very difficult,only requiring a power stapler and some help from Dave which he graciously gave. That gel pad turned my 2 hr seat into an all day seat. I spent $120.00 dollars for my seat. If I had wanted heat he also has a heat system to put in at the sametime but I didn't use that. My feeling is that this is a good option if you don't want to spend a lot of money on a seat. If you can't DIY then go to an upholstery shop and have them do it pretty cheap.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    1. The cannon Ball seat gave me two great seats in one. The stock 2016 F3L front seat was a decent seat for me but I gained more riding comfort and saddle time as it is slightly thicker.

I'm really pleased with mine and my passenger upgraded riding comfort.
    Dennis
    Yep, and there is the real issue Dennis. The stock seat, the Cannonball and the cost to coast gave me no more than 20 before squirming set in. Your experience is totally different.

You just don’t know how a seat is going to work for YOU, until you try it for a while. UNLESS it’s an RDL. I can ride 8 hour days on the RDL with zero squirming. It’s the only “guaranteed” bum comfort seat out there. That’s why I forget the rest these days and go RDL on every new bike.

Sorry, Mark.....bit off topic.....but relevant.
    Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red