Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default My new motto...........

Trust NOBODY; verify EVERYTHING.

Picked up my RT from it's first service, from a dealers shop that I thought was competent. (Key word is THOUGHT.)
    Got it home and checked the oil.
    Almost a quart OVER.

And yes, I checked it right.
    And the invoice has me billed for an extra quart.
    AND I called the shop and they owned up to the mistake........but had no explanation for why nobody checked the dipstick as a part of the oil change.

SO NOW.....it is Sunday. The shop is 50 miles away and not open again until Tuesday, when heavy rain is in the forecast.
    I am leaving Wed. for a 3 week trip......with the Spyder.

Looks like I'm gonna have to suck the extra oil out myself.
    At least enough to get it down to a reasonable level.

I think I feel an anxiety attack coming on.
    Or maybe it's just an overwhelming urge to choke somebody.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 04-08-2018 at 12:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

Join the club. I took our RT to the dealership where I bought it, a very capable and well liked dealership I might add, and they did the same. We were set to leave for Nova Scotia and my RT was blowing oil from somewhere. I discovered it was coming from the oil fill cap. I kept sucking oil out until the level was correct and ended up a quart and a half. I called the dealer and talked to the salesman who is a decent guy. He called me back and informed me that their regular Spyder tech didn't do the oil change, but had the new guy training on it. I thanked him for looking into it and for his honesty, but I will be changing my own oil from now on.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Good motto....

One of my own and I mostly apply it to ryding. Have seen this several times and had a friends that ended up having the engine changed due to the dealer not checking the level correctly. Ironicly the dealer asked him never to come back.... after the engine replacement....maybe BRP made the dealer pay for it....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default motto

Welcome to the world of spyder delerships! your situation sounds exactly like our dealer witch is in Coeur d ' Alene Idaho. I hit a dear a few years back and the dealer so called fix the damage. When I got the RT back every panel and part on it was loose. Needless to say I do all my maintenance now and parts replacement.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by randyandsandy74 View Post
    I hit a dear a few years back
    Are you still with your "dear" or did she leave you after you hit her ??

(sorry)

Spyder Garage

If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

3 years ago when I began looking at Spyders the local dealership told me, and I quote, "i'll sell you a Spyder but we won't service it". I bought mine slightly used from Harley store here in town and I service it myself. if/when I ever need it hooked up to BUDS i'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have no dealer's in my area I would ever trust to do a service on my Spyder. I am in hopes I never have to go to a dealer for anything. I only have one key for my Spyder and would like to have another one but am afraid to even have a dealer make me another key. I have about 20,000 miles on mind now and have never had any problems. I have changed oil in it three times, bleed the brakes, laser aligned it replaced tires with car tires and installed Doc's belt tension-er and it drives and handles to good to let any dealer touch it.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you're handy enough: you don't need the dealership for much more than a place to see the latest and greatest bikes!

Spyder Garage

They are not called "Stealerships" for nothing. I have found that they range from the lazy to downright totally incompetent. The unfortunate thing is that BRP has virtually no control over them. Once again we, the consumers, are left holding the bag. Nothing will sour you on a company faster than a lousy dealer. It seems that it becoming the norm, rather than the exception.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess that I'm just lucky: I've got a couple of really good ones near me.

Spyder Garage

Typical dealer stuff. The give the oil changes to the "newbie flunkies." They gotta be trained sometime.

They never replace my panels properly either. I have to put them in place everytime I have service and am ready to drive off.

PS. this dealer is the only dealer in 1500 miles now. They have two places--twenty five miles apart.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post

Picked up my RT from it's first service, from a dealers shop that I thought was competent. (Key word is THOUGHT.)
    Almost a quart OVER.

AND I called the shop and they owned up to the mistake........but had no explanation for why nobody checked the dipstick as a part of the oil change.

SO NOW.....it is Sunday. The shop is 50 miles away and not open again until Tuesday, when heavy rain is in the forecast.

Sorry for the trouble. Maybe this will teach them a lesson. Lesson learned. Trust but verifi. Hope the trip goes better. Happy Trails. Ride Safe-Ride Often.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    I only have one key for my Spyder and would like to have another one but am afraid to even have a dealer make me another key.
    I think that is a foolish gamble.
    You will NOT like the cost and inconvenience if you lose that one key.

Try to be realistic, not paranoid.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The cost of one new key, is a heck of a lot less than replacing the ignition switch!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post

Almost a quart OVER.

Make sure you get that extra oil out before you leave or you will have oil blowing out the dip stick. It makes a mess. That happened to my buddy's 15 RT. About a 100 miles into the trip. Hard to drain at a motel but he had to.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do us all a favor and name the irresponsible dealership.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Good call

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Join the club. I took our RT to the dealership where I bought it, a very capable and well liked dealership I might add, and they did the same. We were set to leave for Nova Scotia and my RT was blowing oil from somewhere. I discovered it was coming from the oil fill cap. I kept sucking oil out until the level was correct and ended up a quart and a half. I called the dealer and talked to the salesman who is a decent guy. He called me back and informed me that their regular Spyder tech didn't do the oil change, but had the new guy training on it. I thanked him for looking into it and for his honesty, but I will be changing my own oil from now on.
    Changing your own oil will give you a chance to learn more about your RT and a chance to check over the rest of the items that need to be checked during a service.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

If you're handy enough: you don't need the dealership for much more than a place to see the latest and greatest bikes!
    So You don't wanna pay $250 for a bad oil change?? They probably forgot to change the oil filter any way
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Default Watch this video

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    I have no dealer's in my area I would ever trust to do a service on my Spyder. I am in hopes I never have to go to a dealer for anything. I only have one key for my Spyder and would like to have another one but am afraid to even have a dealer make me another key. I have about 20,000 miles on mind now and have never had any problems. I have changed oil in it three times, bleed the brakes, laser aligned it replaced tires with car tires and installed Doc's belt tension-er and it drives and handles to good to let any dealer touch it.
    The process in this video is spot on.
    Do the work yourself!
    https://youtu.be/a8xbXEE_ky4
    It's a 21 now....,BUT I like being on top
    TricLed afterburnerz gen2
    BajaRon sway bar
    F4 customs SRT 28" Clear Wide

2011 RT limited , BajaRon plugs and custom wires Pearl white

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 11rtLTD View Post
    The process in this video is spot on.
    Do the work yourself!
    https://youtu.be/a8xbXEE_ky4
    Oops, bad call! Gerald has a 2015. The cloning process only works on 2013 & older. He has no choice but to buy a key from the dealer. BRP has not released the info needed for anyone else to duplicate the electronics in the key, and as far as we know no one has reverse engineered them. The key has to be entered into the DESS database of keys permitted to operate the bike. That is done with BUDS.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Same Here

Our dealer is only about 10 minutes away, the owner has an excellent reputation to uphold. Last winter they sold 70 sleds, and have sold 3 spyders so far this spring, I have no idea how many atvs and boats. They have been in business for over 30+ years that i know of. So , I know if anything like the OP had happen to him it would be taken care of no questions asked. They covered and oil leak I had after purchase as warranty work. So, yes we are lucky
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I guess that I'm just lucky: I've got a couple of really good ones near me.

Spyder Garage

Default That sucks

That sucks, pun intended. One of the reasons I like to do any maintenance myself. Most of the time it is done right and I know exactly what has been done.

Side note when the dealer assembled my Spyder, one of the four mounting screws for the Windshield was cross threaded. I got a metric thread tap and fixed it. Power drivers are nice but you have to hand start the Bolt by hand.

Chris
    Last edited by No 2817; 04-09-2018 at 05:36 AM.
    One of the FIRST to own a Spyder 2008 No.2817 Premier Edition Spyder GS. I knew a good thing when I saw it!!

2016 F3-T, LED Headlights, Frnt. & Bck. Side Marker Lights, Back Frnt. Fender Lights, Trailer Hitch. Floor Boards Frnt. and Bck. Third Brake light. Cannonball seats. F4 24" windshileld. ( CAT Delete Pipe (muffler bck. on) ) 2003 Valkyrie