Thread: 2012 RT Battery

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT Battery

Hi folks. I have two 2012 RTs that my wife and I bought new. They batteries are both getting weak and want to buy 2 new ones for this northern NY riding season. I have two questions? First what is a good replacement that folks are using? Anyone know what the numbers are on the original? The reason I ask is that my Spyders are in the back room of my garage for winter. I haven’t moved them out front yet and would just like to buy batteries now before I take the old ones out at a little later time . Also, what are the best priced places online to pick a couple up??? I know I could buy a couple at the dealer, but would like to save money. I am more do it myself. Anyway, thanks in advance for any help?
    Live to Ryde my Spyder!

Spyder Garage

Yuasa YTX24HL is the OEM battery. Its what we normally replace with.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Yuasa YTX24HL is the OEM battery. Its what we normally replace with.
    And you don't need to go to a dealer to get them either!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, you've certainly got your money's worth from those batteries. Yes, the OEM battery is the best. It's an AGM style battery, necessary because the battery in the 2012 lays on its side. You'll find that battery on line, such as Amazon, with a "-BS" designation after the model number. Stands for Bottle Supplied. You'll get the battery shipped dry with the electrolyte in bottles and activate the battery yourself. As a DIY-er, you'll be able to handle it with ease. It may be worth the investment to purchase a battery charger with an AGM battery charge mode. Relatively inexpensive. This video shows how to activate one. Different model, same procedure. Since this is your first time, the biggest challenge will be removing the old battery. They pack some wiring harness and a number of connectors in that space. One large connector will want to get in your way. It’s kinda like unwrapping a pretzel. Patience and you’ll be able to move things around.

Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 04-08-2018 at 09:17 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Peter would that be the same battery for a 2011 RT SE5? I think mine still has the original battery. If I don't ride at least one a week it cranks slow.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Sure is the same battery 8.1!! You've certainly had a good run if you are still on the original from 2011, but slow cranking after standing for a week is a good sign that you should really consider replacing it now!! All the Spyder models run the same battery from the factory, & while they are available from other battery resellers & outlets besides BRP dealers, there just aren't too many other options out there that do the job as well as the Yuasa - so like the fly said, "when you're on a good thing, stick to it!" Just don't pay the premium dealer prices without checking alternate suppliers of the same battery first!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-08-2018 at 08:40 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RE-PLACE BATTERY

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Sure is the same battery 8.1!! You've certainly had a good run if you are still on the original from 2011, but slow cranking after standing for a week is a good sign that you should really consider replacing it now!! All the Spyder models run the same battery from the factory, & while they are available from other battery resellers & outlets besides BRP dealers, there just aren't too many other options out there that do the job as well as the Yuasa - so like the fly said, "when you're on a good thing, stick to it!" Just don't pay the premium dealer prices without checking alternate suppliers of the same battery first!
    ........ you don't mention whether you keep that battery on a MAINTAINER or Not ........... RT's are known to have " parasitic electrical " loss's ( at least prior to 14 ) so using a maintainer is wise ...... This winter ( 4 mos. ) I didn't put my RT on the maintainer I have, because I was testing the batteries charge capabilities ..... well after 4 mos. it started , slowly , but it fired ....... go figure ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Cool BATTERY

I just went to advance and they carry the corret one for $104 after core charge. Everything is bright and cranks again.

Spyder Garage

Default Battery

Replaced origanl battery on my 2012 RT 2Yrs ago with a Interstate Battery.So far works great.

Spyder Garage

Just ordered two Yuasa YTX24HL OEM Batteries. Best price I found was $104.90, maintenance free, filled and sealed from factory, no acid bottles to mess with. I thought better since the battery lies on its side in the Spyder. I found cheaper batteries that say they fit (non Yuasa) with acid bottles to fill, but I decided to do another Yuasa like what came on the Spyders. A little more money, but considering that the originals in both bikes went through 6 riding seasons...I'll take it! How can you beat that? Thanks guys, for the help! Much appreciated! The link I bought mine at is below:

https://www.2wheel.com/yuasa-high-pe...iABEgIuw_D_BwE
    Live to Ryde my Spyder!

Spyder Garage

Actually, the batteries I just bought may need to be filled as I read it. Not totally sure.....It says:

"Dealer fills battery from included acid tubes to create a sealed, spill-proof battery."

But still no big deal. Piece of cake and a killer battery! I'm in for the ride after I put it together! Who wants to be on the side of the road with a cheap replacement? Not me!

Thanks again!
    Live to Ryde my Spyder!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BATTERIES

Quote Originally Posted by polygonguy View Post
    Actually, the batteries I just bought may need to be filled as I read it. Not totally sure.....It says:

"Dealer fills battery from included acid tubes to create a sealed, spill-proof battery."

But still no big deal. Piece of cake and a killer battery! I'm in for the ride after I put it together! Who wants to be on the side of the road with a cheap replacement? Not me!

Thanks again!
    The most important and critical thing with a New Battery ( any ) is ...it needs to be properly charged after it is activated by the Acid....... Batteries that aren't have a much shorter life .......Mike

Spyder Garage

All Spyders use the same battery. The part number I gave is for a pre-filled and charged battery from the factory. Highly recommended. The pre-filled ones are available from amazon as well and for under $100.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by polygonguy View Post

Thanks again!
    There’s a Q & A section below the reviews on that web page. Indicates that you’ll add the acid and activate it yourself, as I’ve described above and shown in the video. No sweat. That way you’ll know it’s a fresh charge and done right, because you did it yourself. Happy riding.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Default Just installed a new battery

Bought a Lamonster Glass Mat battery this winter. Haven't gone ridding yet, so we will see. Not the cheapest, but I trust Lamonster.
    Easy to switch out.
    2012RT SE5.