Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How cold will you ride?

Out of necessity I have ridden in -9 degree F. weather and it was not fun!. Normally, since it feels about 10 degrees warmer than it really is behind the RT's fairing, I will ride when it's in the 20 degree F. range. The trick is dressing in lots of layers. One day I rode about 100 miles at 28 degrees and I was comfortable. When it is this cold I wear a pair of insulated overalls (like you see farmers wearing) over my other clothes and cold weather boots. These make a big difference. How about you?
    Last edited by Casher50; 04-07-2018 at 08:50 AM.
    2011 Spyder RT SM5
    2006 Honda Shadow Aero 750
    1974 Rokon MX340
    1984 Toyota tube buggy (Truggy) rock crawler (highly modified)
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser(modifiedfor off-roaduse)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Casher50 View Post
    Out of necessity I have ridden in -9 degree F. weather. Normally, since it feels about 10 degrees warmer than it really is behind the RT's fairing, I will ride when it's in the 20 degree F. range. One day I rode about 100 miles at 28 degrees. How about you?
    I've rode from gatlinburg to nashville tn in 30 degrees and snow flurries for 3 1/2 hrs. Good thing I packed our winter stuff in the trailer before we left. It was 72 when we left nashville on Friday and 30 on sunday coming back.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The record low for me was 29. Unfortunately it was on the RSS, which had no heated grips. I rode 60 miles to VIR for a toys for tots ride. The added heat put off from the 2012 RSS engine helped, but I would have rather had my 2014 RT with the large shield, heated grips, and additional fairing. I still had a blast. Sorry about the upside down picture. It looks right on my computer, but downloads upside down
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by blacklightning; 04-07-2018 at 09:02 AM.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I'm still waiting for the temp to get to at least 15 C (60 F) before I take my initial ride on my new 2018, but for a day long outing, I prefer closer to at least 20 C.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

60f & up for me

Spyder Garage

If it is a nice day other than clold I will ride in the 20's. Not an all day ride, but maybe a hundred miles. I have a great pair of lightweight thermals for under my riding pants and then a heated jacket liner to go with the heated grips. I wear a t-shirt, Heated liner, then maybe a heavier long sleeved shirt under my jacket. Two things that will make it much more comfy. Wear the heated liner as close to your skin as you can get it, thus the t-shirt and make sure you have something around your neck to keep the air from entering at that point. The coldest temp I have rode in was 5 above zero and the farthest cold ride was Maggie Valley to Ohio, 400 miles and it never got above freezing.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I try to avoid anything under 32 F, simply because of the ice on the road.
    Typically, around this time of the year, I'll go out in the morning on the way to work when it's below 40, but then on the way home it can be very pleasant in 50s or 60s. Which, incidentally, is the way I like my music.
    I've ridden in the snow, but I got caught in it, I didn't LEAVE in the snow.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

For me it's more about road conditions than temperature here in Ohio, the weather changes quickly in the winter & spring and the roads are generally covered in salt. I won't ride with the salt or if there a risk if ice on the road. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LOW TEMP RIDING

Well what I used to tolerate back in the day and now are a whole different thing ....... Now I ride if it's FUN ...I'll go out if it's 40* F and it's sunny and the temp is on the rise ..... which is not to say at 60* F and it might rain I will also go riding....in Vt. we have very few perfect days ...... ride safe - ride happy ....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Out of necessity I have ridden in -9 degree F. weather and it was not fun!. Normally, since it feels about 10 degrees warmer than it really is behind the RT's fairing, I will ride when it's in the 20 degree F. range. The trick is dressing in lots of layers. One day I rode about 100 miles at 28 degrees and I was comfortable. When it is this cold I wear a pair of insulated overalls (like you see farmers wearing) over my other clothes and cold weather boots. These make a big difference. How about you?
    With full heated gear including socks down to 25 is no problem below that the air leaking past the helmet is the problem
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

I've ridden my GW in 33 deg. temps along with blowing snow in the Rocky Mountain Natl. Park, but I prefer to not ride in conditions such as those. The lowest is 45 deg. if I absolutely have to ride. 65-75 deg. is about perfect riding weather for us. Mac

Spyder Garage

Default 60 degrees F

60 degrees F is the minimum for me but I prefer 70 so the heavy jacket isn't required.

I hope it reaches 60 soon - I am ready.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

When I was young and in my prime...back in the mid 60's, my first motorcycle was a Yamaha 80 (one lunger). I practiced riding that one long before the snow left Duluth. I did 20 below zero for about a half hour. That was before there was a lot of winter gear. I had blue jeans, a jacket, a stocking cap, under my Bell helmet, and gloves.

Fast forward to reality of the times. Now I will ride down to 20 above or so. If ice is on the road, I am not.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Depends...

Althoght this is a mild climate and we ryde all year long I will not go out under 55° without the heated gear (gloves and jacket liner). The GS/RS/RSS have no wind protection and we ryde mostly up in the mountains where it gets a lot colder and there is snow etc.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Normally: 40 degrees is my threshold.
    But I've also hit the road at only 28 degrees
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default How Cold

I enjoy an hour ride in 40 degree plus temperature on a sunny day. Never been big on snow riding. Needs to be 60 or better for the wife to ride with me.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

24 was my lowest last fall! Thank god when I got out of work at the end of the day the sun was out and climbed to 58 that was a nice ride home the long way
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default I, too, am a 40 degree guy

because I HATE being cold and it seems like I can never get enough layers... We were riding home to Northern Indiana after Spyderfest 2017 and it was about 43 degrees... and we were cold, and I was cranky, and we vowed never to ride again... you know how you do sometimes. But we got home, it warmed up and we rode a bunch more. I expect to go get my Spyder from the dealer - stored and prepped for spring - next week... supposed to be in the 50s here. Got my chaps, my electric vest, my long riding gloves, my Air Wings, my full face helmet... I'm going to ride. BTW - have you seen the Motorcycle Wind Chill Chart?

windchill chart.jpg

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

I can layer up to get warm (& safer for it) I can't do to cool off "properly"IMG_5372.jpg I honestly don't know how cold it was, guess is pre-teens cuz bout as low as it gets round here. Still that's too damn cold. I remember how pretty the snow was blowing by my visor a rarity to enjoy as a memory & try not to repeat I may personally tolerate the temp but will not trust anyone else on street, too many non working defrosters & IMG_5435.jpg round here anyway. & I springfield is as far North Ive been on bike as of yet. That will hopefully change sooner.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I rode a three hours Thursday getting my RT serviced at Midwest Performance in Keokuk IA. It was 31 when I left at 7:30 in the morning. I try to stay above the freezing mark and salt free roads when I'm contemplating something like this. By the time I got home though, I was chilled and took a couple hours to thaw out. Hot cappuccino helped.

Coke
    2015 RT-S , RED/BLACK

Spyder Garage

Default How cold will you ride?

September 30,2017 I went on a group ride in Maine & into New Hampshire. 38 Degrees when I left home to meet up with the rest of the group. Highest temp all day was 41! I rode 222 miles! I wore my leather jacket & chaps from my two wheel days & a sweat shirt with a thermal undershirt under that. Once a number of years ago I rode with a group of friends two wheeling from Clearwater,Florida to Key West,Florida. When we crossed the "Skyway Bridge" from Tampa into Sarasota Florida the temp at the toll booth was 32 degrees! The lady in the toll booth said to my now deceased wife " You must really Love that man!" The wife replied "Well,as a matter I do but why did you say that?" The toll booth lady said " I'm standing here in my booth and my thermometer says it's 32 degrees and you're sitting there on that motorcycle going at least 55 miles an hour! As we were pulling away from the toll booth she (the wife) says "Do we go 55 miles an hour?" To which I replied " yes we do, on the way to 70-75 miles an hour and down from 70 -75 miles an hour to the posted speed limit!" She was a real trooper! Once in the mountains of Maine we had to wait out a 20 minute barrage of sleet before we could continue our ride! I miss her! She'd Love the Spyder!!!

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

After riding today with temps in the upper 90s a 20 degree ride with heated gear sounds quite nice.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Like the rest of you, I love ryding the Spyder!!!, BUT, I won't ride it when it gets to be work just getting geared up for it. I've ridden in low 30's F*, but that's all the colder. I have a truck for the cold weather.....LOL..For those who ride in the cold, good on you. If I HAD to ride it in the cold, I would.....
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Cold ryde

Personal record was 6-below - open face shield would freeze eyeballs, closed would steam/ice up. 10-above has been my usual limit, thanks to heated grips, Aerostich suit w/layers under, winter gloves. My RT-S is warmer than my Beemers were, but ice and salt this season has kept Raven on life-support.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

I have ridden when the temps are in the 40's ( going to work in the early morning hours 4:15).
    I dressed for the weather, jeans, can-am riding pants, sweat shirt, can-am jacket, boots.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue