Spyder Garage

Post Purchasing a 2013 Can Am Spyder RT Limited SE5---questions about reliablity

Hello Everyone,

I am purchasing a 2013 Can Am Spyder RT Limited SE5 with 2000 miles on it....very clean.. has had a gentle life up to this point. After reading forum entries for a few weeks, I have questions as to the reliability of this machine. I have no dealer close, living in Hawaii. Yea..... sounds great... year round riding, beautiful Hawaii……the downside of Hawaii? Cam am told me to ship it to California to preform heat issue recall… my serial number is one of the lucky ones. No dealer means no computer diagnostics locally. Can am will not allow a local licensed motorcycle dealers to perform. I half agree… liability is the issue today… for everything, but a qualified shop should be able to assist. Not worried about changing tires, oils, all routine maintenance. I have 47 years riding motocross..and crashing, plus 135,000 miles on the street, no crashes. This spans Yamahas, Hondas, Kawasaki’s…. all of them used to the max, with no problems. So reading about the RT--- and having no dealer to reset the error codes…that may be valid or just loose bat terminals---I question if they have the quality of above mentioned work horses. So a few questions asking about everyone’s experiences.

1)BUDS software sold online—amazon sells it--- that makes it legal..right..? If I purchase it, and learn how to use it, I can address computer codes and troubleshoot and reset? Below is what is listed on Amazon…..

BRP BUDS / BUDS2 MPI-3 Diagnostic Scanner 4TEC/ETEC for SEADOO SKIDOO CANAM LYNX

2) Is there a way to get recall parts/ECU data to perform the heat recall?

3) The RT is in the same class as a Goldwing—sofa with wheels. But how does its quality and reliability compare?

I appreciate all comments. I understand, this machine may never even have one hiccup… my hope. Or it maybe a maintenance nightmare….. But want to know what she’s like before we get married.

And..your all welcome to bring your Spyders over and ride---any day--- summer year round you know…….

Thank you very much!!

Joemoto

Last edited by JOEMOTO; 04-06-2018 at 02:44 AM.

Spyder Garage

Yup! No dealers or service centers for in HI.

We rented a Spyder on Maui when Maui Scooters was in the business and had one to rent. We drove the Hana Hwy. The unit we rented was in need of service and we could tell it had not been properly serviced for some time.

BUDS can be purchased--but it is not cheap. You might check in with HISpyder. I think he lives on Kauai.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-06-2018 at 11:49 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's sounds as if you'll be "ryding" in Paradise!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I am going to be blunt here.

Do not buy a 2013 Spyder RT that has not had the recall done and you have no way to do it. Its a major recall for real fire danger. IT IS NOT LEGAL to sell the bike without the recall done, even though it happens all the time. The fire danger is REAL. MANY burned to the ground. USDOT demanded the recall, it was NOT voluntary. There was also a STOP SALE order issued when the recall came out.

If you really want the bike, factor the cost of shipping it to CA to have the recall done and shipped back. If that makes it financially nonviable, don't buy it. Period.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wish you the best !!

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You most definitely want to get the re-call done on this machine, on this I agree with JC. Once that is done the machine is reliable we have almost 55000 on our RTL and the recall made a huge difference. We rode all the way across the country this last summer without a lick of trouble. I believe that the machine is reliable, but we have a really great dealer to take care of it too!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I agree recall needs to be done! After that it is better than any other year! I know I will get flack over that🤔. The bike will run cooler fthan any othe model year. I have 60,000 + miles no issues. Good luck and ride safe!

Spyder Garage

Default DON'T BUY IT

I have one, and it has been a POS since day one. Endless weeks at various dealers for all sorts of problems and warranty work, stranded and towed 6 times, shoddy work on the heat recall, the list goes on and on. I have written letters to the CEO of BRP, asking for a buy back, the answer is always no, we don't do that, as we have to work within the parameters of the warranty. If I could possibly sell it, I would. I will never buy another BRP product; they are inferior, always have problems, are expensive to buy and maintain, most dealelers are crap and BRP has very little control over them. If I were you, I would stay far, far away.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one....

But most will agree that the work needs to be done for your own safety. Not worth the worry of if it will or won't. But check out getting one on the mainland and having it shipped to you as an alternative if the cost is close or better. Welcome to the 🎪 glad you jumped in and hope you find a spyder and get out there cause they are a different ryde that is more relaxed fun than most....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post

Do not buy a 2013 Spyder RT that has not had the recall done and you have no way to do it. Its a major recall for real fire danger. IT IS NOT LEGAL to sell the bike without the recall done, even though it happens all the time. The fire danger is REAL. MANY burned to the ground. USDOT demanded the recall, it was NOT voluntary. There was also a STOP SALE order issued when the recall came out.

If you really want the bike, factor the cost of shipping it to CA to have the recall done and shipped back. If that makes it financially nonviable, don't buy it. Period.
    This is what happened to my 2013 RT, this was one of the reasons there is a recall. Like James said don’t ride it without the work being done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=akspyderman;1349707] Yup! No dealers or service centers for in HI.

We rented a Spyder on Maui when Maui Scooters was in the business and had one to rent. We drove the Hana Hwy. The unit we rented was in need of service and we could tell it had not been properly serviced for some time.

BUDS can be purchased--but it is not cheap. You might check in with HISpyder. I think he lives on Kauai.[/QU
    Last edited by JOEMOTO; 04-07-2018 at 03:32 AM.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=JOEMOTO;1349699]Hello Everyone,

I am purchasing a 2013 Can Am Spyder RT Limited SE5 with 2000 miles on it....very clean.. has had a gentle life up to this point. After reading forum entries for a few weeks, I have questions as to the reliability of this machine. I have no dealer close, living in Hawaii. Yea..... sounds great... year round riding, beautiful Hawaii……the downside of Hawaii? Cam am told me to ship it to California to preform heat issue recall… my serial number is one of the lucky ones. No dealer means no computer diagnostics locally. Can am will not allow a local licensed motorcycle dealers to perform. I half agree… liability is the issue today… for everything, but a qualified shop should be able to assist. Not worried about changing tires, oils, all routine maintenance. I have 47 years riding motocross..and crashing, plus 135,000 miles on the street, no crashes. This spans Yamahas, Hondas, Kawasaki’s…. all of them used to the max, with no problems. So reading about the RT--- and having no dealer to reset the error codes…that may be valid or just loose bat terminals---I question if they have the quality of above mentioned work horses. So a few questions asking about everyone’s experiences.

1)BUDS software sold online—amazon sells it--- that makes it legal..right..? If I purchase it, and learn how to use it, I can address computer codes and troubleshoot and reset? Below is what is listed on Amazon…..

BRP BUDS / BUDS2 MPI-3 Diagnostic Scanner 4TEC/ETEC for SEADOO SKIDOO CANAM LYNX

2) Is there a way to get recall parts/ECU data to perform the heat recall?

3) The RT is in the same class as a Goldwing—sofa with wheels. But how does its quality and reliability compare?

I appreciate all comments. I understand, this machine may never even have one hiccup… my hope. Or it maybe a maintenance nightmare….. But want to know what she’s like before we get married.

And..your all welcome to bring your Spyders over and ride---any day--- summer year round you know…….

Thank you very much!!

Joemoto

Thank you Everyone for your input. Now to crunch the numbers and see if this is a viable deal--- or just find a 2014 (generation improvement of motor etc) for example, on mainland---we call it the mainland –not the states…lol…. But in reality Hawaii is a foreign country…no joke. Would cost more to fly to United States from Hawaii.. just to purchase a Spyder…but. Take a road trip and make a great memory.

Still wondering if anyone reading has purchased and used the BUDS software? I would consider having even if the machine never had a fault code ever….just to monitor this complex machine.

Thank you!
    Joemoto

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Larry rt View Post
    I agree recall needs to be done! After that it is better than any other year! I know I will get flack over that🤔. The bike will run cooler fthan any othe model year. I have 60,000 + miles no issues. Good luck and ride safe!

thanks for the rely---in your 60k mileage..and problems that made the dealer go ummmm....i dont know how to fix that.? did you do your own maintenance?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post

love the bluntness! on your trike--- and deffects, problems ets?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JOEMOTO View Post
    thanks for the rely---in your 60k mileage..and problems that made the dealer go ummmm....i dont know how to fix that.? did you do your own maintenance?
    I do oil change and some OEM install. Nothing major.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JOEMOTO View Post
    Still wondering if anyone reading has purchased and used the BUDS software? I would consider having even if the machine never had a fault code ever….just to monitor this complex machine.

Thank you!
    Joemoto

Yes, I own a megatech licence for BUDS. There are several independent shops and Spyder vendors that have purchased it.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame