Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Migration from two-wheel motorcycle to spyder

Hello all:

Been a member for some time but I don't own a Spyder. Been thinking for quite a while and 2018 may be the year I do it. Will be 65 this year and I like the stability of the Spyder versus a two-wheeler. With so much road construction, or on the contrary, so many bad roads, I don't feel as comfortable and confident riding roads I am not familiar with.

I suspect many Spyder riders never rode a two-wheeler but at the same time I suspect many Spyder riders come with a background on two wheels.

With that said, I am looking for some insight, as follows:

1. How easy was it to migrate to a Spyder from your two-wheel motorcycle, technically and emotionally?

2. Did you sell your two-wheeler right away, maybe as a trade-in, or did you wait and finally decided you didn't want your two-wheeler anymore.

3. If you sold your two-wheeler right away, did you regret it and maybe even bought another one after. Or is it that you never looked back?

4. Having ridden your Spyder for some time now, in retrospect, do you really feel that it is safer than a two-wheeler? Do you feel more comfortable, confident?

I suppose this subject has been discussed before so if you have links to other similar threads, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

JG

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lots of answers on here...
    1 I found it easy once I loosened grip and stopped counter steering - a hundred km
    2 I kept my two wheels but after a year of patting her on her head while taking my spyder for a ride, sold it
    3 I never looked back, but many enjoy both
    4 yes, safer on dodgy roads, more confident, having a blast riding it, can do many more km in a day

There is a do's and dont's thread which will help, but really it is a just relax and loosen up thing

Have fun choosing (the triple is my pick)

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder Ryde

It was a Hard but Easy Decision when I put all the FACTS on the Table. Look, Ryde, and then buy what works for You. I would go with 1330s 2014 to Current Models.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I'm 73, and have been riding motorcycles for 50+ years. Finally got to the point where I wanted to keep riding, but the bike (R1200RT) was too tall and too heavy for me to handle confidently in all situations. To your questions:

1. Took a while to get used to not leaning into a curve, and I still (after 1,000 miles or so) occasionally reach for the clutch and front brake on the handlebar. Other than that, after 100-200 miles you get fairly comfortable, and it gets better as the miles add on.

2. Sold the R1200RT, but kept the F650GS since it's small enough and lightweight enough that I'm still comfortable on it.

3. There's no way that a Spyder can compare with a two-wheeler on the serious twisties, but it's still a lot of fun in its own way. I don't regret for a minute selling the 1200RT and getting a Spyder, but I still have the 650GS to ride when I want to do some peg scraping on the mountain roads in Colorado.

4. I think the Spyder is definitely safer. No more standing on the balls of my feet when I come to a stop (and worrying about sand on the road when I stop), no more white knuckle rides across sand or gravel, and sitting back nice and relaxed at a stop light now is a pure delight. That said, I've heard horror stories about hydroplaning in the rain due to the light front end, although I'm not sure how common that is.

All in all, I'm very happy with the Spyder. Not better than a motorcycle and not worse, just different. It's a lot of fun and I don't regret for one moment going from a 1200RT to a Spyder.

- Ken

Spyder Garage

I didn't have any trouble riding the Spyder. It's different enough that I didn't have a problem trying to countersteer.
    And once I had all the alignment issues taken care of, I didn't have any problems with the grip.
    What gave me trouble was lane position.
    Riding two wheels, you ride in the left tire track.
    When riding the Spyder in the left tire track, the left wheel is over the yellow line in the opposite traffic lane.
    It took me several months to get used to riding in the center of the road.

That is all.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default Migration from two-wheel motorcycle to spyder

#1 Easy! They say it's hard getting use to linked(no front lever) brake. Not! A matter of two or three rides!
    #2 Waited for Bike season to come around. Bikes don't sell too well in Maine in the winter!
    #3 No regret! I had two hip replacements(Same one twice!) & Knee suurgery!
    #4 Safer! With my age (70) & physical limitations both the wife and I feel Much Safer! Added extra lighting to my RT!
    My(Our) Spyder RT will extend my(our) enjoyment of riding & spending time together! Rock ON! or RIDE ON!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

1. You learn NOT to countersteer the first time you try to turn the thing and start heading towards the guard rail. To get comfortable varies from a few miles to a hundred miles. To become second nature, some more seat time.
    Emotionally - it's still knees in the breeze, but you soon identify with the three wheeled crowd.

2. We still have our two wheelers

3. I'll tell you when it's time for me to hang up my two wheels.

4. Safer in rain/sleet, sandy conditions, night and cold. Not any safer than any other motorcycle in terms of traffic and drivers seeing you. More comfortable on longer rides than sport bikes, can't vouch for cruisers. Definitely more luggage space.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    Hello all:

Been a member for some time but I don't own a Spyder. Been thinking for quite a while and 2018 may be the year I do it. Will be 65 this year and I like the stability of the Spyder versus a two-wheeler. With so much road construction, or on the contrary, so many bad roads, I don't feel as comfortable and confident riding roads I am not familiar with.

I suspect many Spyder riders never rode a two-wheeler but at the same time I suspect many Spyder riders come with a background on two wheels.

1. How easy was it to migrate to a Spyder from your two-wheel motorcycle, technically and emotionally?

I didn't go directly to a Spyder but to a Goldwing Trike. I knew I could no longer ride 2 wheels but it was still very hard for me emotionally to give up 2 wheels and especially my V4 Yamahas..Technically not a problem,in fact I went to a Spyder because it had features no conversion had at any price.

2. Did you sell your two-wheeler right away, maybe as a trade-in, or did you wait and finally decided you didn't want your two-wheeler anymore.

Didn't have that problem,totaled the 2 wheeler.

3. If you sold your two-wheeler right away, did you regret it and maybe even bought another one after. Or is it that you never looked back?

I regretted being an ass and creating a situation where I would wreck my 2 wheeler. and nearly kill myself and my wife. I still miss my 2 wheelers and leaning into a curve, but the Spyder is so much fun that it is alright

4. Having ridden your Spyder for some time now, in retrospect, do you really feel that it is safer than a two-wheeler? Do you feel more comfortable, confident?

I never considered that aspect,still don't. I am more comfortable and can ride longer days.

I suppose this subject has been discussed before so if you have links to other similar threads, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

JG
    I have been a rider for over 50 years. Since 1983 I have ridden v4 Yamahas. Venture Royales (several) and the lastly a Royal Star Tour Deluxe and then a Royal Star Venture (wrecked)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see...

1....very easy had no adjustment time at all but then I have ridden some strange vehicles....
    2.... I had sold all my motorcycles and equipment months before. Was done with bikes I thought...
    3.... The only regret was not doing it years before...got my RS in 2012
    4.... I do feel safer and have more confidence ryding the tattered roads of today.

Have YOU test ryden the two left in the line-up...?
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Jbim (JG),
    Another 60 year old spyder convert here, have rode since I was a kid, most all forms of 2 wheelers, (tried a Harley trike even )

1. How easy was it to migrate to a Spyder from your two-wheel motorcycle, technically and emotionally? Very, somewhat, VERY.

2. Did you sell your two-wheeler right away, maybe as a trade-in, or did you wait and finally decided you didn't want your two-wheeler anymore. Trade-In.

3. If you sold your two-wheeler right away, did you regret it and maybe even bought another one after. Or is it that you never looked back? Nope Never looked back.

4. Having ridden your Spyder for some time now, in retrospect, do you really feel that it is safer than a two-wheeler? Do you feel more comfortable, confident? Yes, Yes, Yes.

I've enjoyed my Spyder so much, I've helped two other 2 wheel Venture and Wing riders make the Migration, one last month. AND All three of our spouses are VERY happy with the transition to 3 wheels as well.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Hello all:

You will find a number of riders with motorcycle experience and probably an equal number without. The bike riders have found it much more difficult to adjust to the Spyder as opposed to those who have little or no past experience. I am a lifetime two-wheeler and have to say I do not like the way the Spyder handles. At this point I am keeping the Spyder for my wife to ride although she isn't opposed to selling it if a buyer comes along.

Family circumstances dictated I sell my Goldwing.

I doubt I would have another Wing again because I don't do long distance touring any longer. I would not mind having a smaller bike though.

Comfortable? No. Confident? Hell no.

Thanks

JG

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by macbates View Post
    I'm 73, and have been riding motorcycles for 50+ years. Finally got to the point where I wanted to keep riding, but the bike (R1200RT) was too tall and too heavy for me to handle confidently in all situations. To your questions:

1. Took a while to get used to not leaning into a curve, and I still (after 1,000 miles or so) occasionally reach for the clutch and front brake on the handlebar. Other than that, after 100-200 miles you get fairly comfortable, and it gets better as the miles add on.

2. Sold the R1200RT, but kept the F650GS since it's small enough and lightweight enough that I'm still comfortable on it.

3. There's no way that a Spyder can compare with a two-wheeler on the serious twisties, but it's still a lot of fun in its own way. I don't regret for a minute selling the 1200RT and getting a Spyder, but I still have the 650GS to ride when I want to do some peg scraping on the mountain roads in Colorado.

4. I think the Spyder is definitely safer. No more standing on the balls of my feet when I come to a stop (and worrying about sand on the road when I stop), no more white knuckle rides across sand or gravel, and sitting back nice and relaxed at a stop light now is a pure delight. That said, I've heard horror stories about hydroplaning in the rain due to the light front end, although I'm not sure how common that is.

All in all, I'm very happy with the Spyder. Not better than a motorcycle and not worse, just different. It's a lot of fun and I don't regret for one moment going from a 1200RT to a Spyder.

- Ken
    I'm also 73 and agree with virtually everything Ken said. I've been riding motorcycles since the 1960s and really don't want to give up riding. However, four years ago my left hip was replaced and, according to the surgeon, the single most important concern is overextension. Given that it's the left leg I put down when stopped on a two wheel machine, overextension is something that's never far from my thought processes, especially since I'm inseam-challenged.

Coupled with that is the inevitable loss of upper body strength that comes with age and that means it's not as easy to wrestle my BMW K75S as it used to be. I didn't want to get rid of the BMW so my solution was to add a Spyder to the fleet. In fact we added two RTs because my wife has never liked being a passenger. What we've found is that we ride more now than we have in a long time, and that's a good thing. Just concluded a 2100 mile trip from San Antonio to Tucson and back and we agreed we probably wouldn't have done it on two wheels.

Transitioning to the Spyder took a while but it wasn't difficult, nor is it difficult to climb back aboard the BMW either. For long distance touring we're convinced the Spyder is hard to beat. We have all the amenities found on full-on touring motorcycles without having to balance half a ton or wrestle it out of the garage or a parking spot or, God forbid, try to pick it up.

End of testimonial.
    Last edited by Arion; 04-05-2018 at 09:44 PM.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

Default I flunked

Similar story. Going on 70 and been on two wheels since the 60's. Bought a 15 rtl and spent two seasons and 15k miles trying to make friends with it. My wife never got comfortable even with arm rests and a RDL seat and I didn't like the handling . Some here drank the koolaid and it worked but not for me. We are both happier and more confident on the Wing.
    Before you commit to buy, rent one for a long weekend. A short test ride won't tell you squat

Spyder Garage

Now plus 70. Have been riding motorcycles since 1966. Have had 50 assorted two wheelers.

Bought my first when they first came out. Got the first one sold to a customer in AK. Now have owned five. Still have a two wheeler in the stable. Going to stay that way for a while more.

Read the Do's and Don'ts. Much good information there.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by macbates View Post

3. There's no way that a two-wheeler can compare with a Spyder on the serious twisties, but the two-wheelers are still a lot of fun in their own way on the more open stuff......

- Ken
    Looks like you had a dyslexia attack Ken, but I've fixed it for you!

Of course, if you don't want to move your weight around & put the same effort into ryding the twisties hard on your Spyder as you do (did?) on your two wheeler, then the Spyder can be slower & more relaxing if you prefer; altho once you get used to your Spyder you'll find that you will take the tighter twisties & stuff with shorter straights pretty damned fast anyway, if not faster than all your 2 wheeling buddies! Generally, it's only really when the 'serious twisties' open up into fast sweepers with longer straights that the Spyder's significantly greater traction, cornering ability, & stability is likely to be overcome largely by the sheer volume of air you've gotta push out of the way that the two wheelers can keep up & maybe even get away from a seriously ridden Spyder!

But if you prefer, you can ryde gently along (or flat out if that's your preference!!) secure in the knowledge that it doesn't really matter how much loose sand & gravel or wet & slippery leaves are scattered across the apex of that next blind corner, secure in the knowledge that your Spyder can stay upright thru it all and still keep you safe with no more 'low siding' possible & it being very nearly impossible to 'high side' as well - just secure & safe cornering, as fast as you like to make it, dependant only upon how much body english, right throttle, & ryding effort you want to put into it!!

So with a Spyder, you can get all of the cornering joys of an extremely agile sports car AND a 2 wheeler rolled into one with none of the stability or traction concerns of a 2 wheeled bike in the tight twisties and the added safety provided by steering, traction, & braking with 2 wheels up front plus well tuned stability control, ABS, VSS, EDB, a yaw sensor, power steering, etc etc and yet still with all the pleasures of having your knees in the breeze - and then there's all the 'extra Plus'es' - you'll probably especially revel in the joy of watching the astonished faces on your 2 wheeler riding buddies when they finally catch up with you at the far end of their favourite 'tight twisties' run - they'll be so surprised at how quick you were that they won't hesitate when you tell them they can buy you your second coffee!! After all, you've probably just about finished your first while you've been sitting around waiting for them to catch up thru the tight stuff!!

Jbim, just Go For it!! You know you want to - and once you've read the 'Do's & Dont's' thread & taken the necessary time to get used to the differences, your only regret will likely be that you didn't make the change to a reverse tryke years earlier!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-05-2018 at 10:42 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Time

Time and 1000 miles will help.

Spyder Garage

I have put a little over 15,000 miles on the Spyder since buying it last May. Previously rode Goldwings for over 35 years. I still have an 1800 and ride it occasionally. But, mostly my wife rides it and I ride the Spyder. The technique of riding is completely opposite for the two. On 2 wheels, counter steering is what we do. On 3 wheels, it is exactly opposite. You pull instead of push on the inside corner handlebar. I find it easy (now) to go from 2 to 3 wheels and back. At first it was difficult for me on the Spyder until I started to learn the right technique. Most of the riding information came to me from this forum. I am now more comfortable on the spyder overall. I can still "outride" myself on the Goldwing -vs- the Spyder. (I am one of those who can regularly drag the hard parts in corners). But when given a choice, which I have, on a given day of riding, I prefer the Spyder. Another observation is that the Spyder does take more upper body strength to ride. It requires more pulling on the handlebars in turns whereas a 2 wheeler requires leaning and countersteering which is easier on the body. Around town the Spyder is hard to beat....fun and easy. On the road it is superior to 2 wheels in windy conditions. But, as I mentioned, a little slower in the twisties, at least for me.......
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    But if you prefer, you can ryde gently along (or flat out if that's your preference!!) secure in the knowledge that it doesn't really matter how much loose sand & gravel or wet & slippery leaves are scattered across the apex of that next blind corner, secure in the knowledge that your Spyder can stay upright thru it all and still keep you safe with no more 'low siding' possible & it being very nearly impossible to 'high side' as well - just secure & safe cornering, as fast as you like to make it, dependant only upon how much body english, right throttle, & ryding effort you want to put into it!!
    Yep, Peter.....I am feeling pretty good now that I have a new hip, and was thinking about two wheels again as I miss leaning. Did the 2 hour trip to the local dealer and confirmed that Harley and Triumph still too small, BMW foot controls too far back, Indian Chieftain pretty good fit (but needs forward controls, rearset seat and higher bars). On the way back home, doing money sums, I found myself wondering if I would be as confident cornering on the Indian as I was on the F3. Being honest, the answer is no, for the reasons you have given above. Going round corners on the F3, you can concentrate on your technique and not worry about what you would do if you came across sand, gravel, leaves etc during cornering. The exhilaration you get cornering quickly (but not Aawen quickly ) is every bit as exciting to me as two wheels, but without those nagging “hope there are no surprises” doubts. I knew if I was being honest with myself, it was time to shelve 2 wheels and I don’t think you can do better that the Spyder. I’m not 100% committed yet, but it would be 90%.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Here's my story

1. How easy was it to migrate to a Spyder from your two-wheel motorcycle, technically and emotionally? Technically, I had to learn a completely different way of riding. Emotionally, it wasn't much as I don't get attached to things like that.

2. Did you sell your two-wheeler right away, maybe as a trade-in, or did you wait and finally decided you didn't want your two-wheeler anymore. I traded in my 2004 Yamaha V-Star 1100 and have never looked back.

3. If you sold your two-wheeler right away, did you regret it and maybe even bought another one after. Or is it that you never looked back? I'm no longer interested in a two-wheeled bike.

4. Having ridden your Spyder for some time now, in retrospect, do you really feel that it is safer than a two-wheeler? Do you feel more comfortable, confident? Safer is relative. It's safer for me, more comfortable for the wife.

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Hello all:

It was very easy, my RTL is so simple to operate, my wife can do it and she would never think about riding 2 wheels

Yes, I traded mine in when I purchased the spyder.

Haven't regretted one minute, never looked back. I enjoy my spyder much more then the goldwing I left.

4. Having ridden your Spyder for some time now, in retrospect, do you really feel that it is safer than a two-wheeler? Do you feel more comfortable, confident
    Yes it is considerably safer. You no longer worry about gravel, pot hole patches, tar snakes or wet roads. I have had 2 close calls with my spyder, one of which I am pretty sure would have had a different outcome had I been on my goldwing as someone pulled out from a parking lot in front of me. When the ABS on my spyder kicked in, the gears automatically shifted down to first gear for me and I was stopped about a foot from the car. The bike was waiting for me to continue on down the road. I put 3 times the miles on my spyder in 3 months than my goldwing in a year.

Thanks

JG
    ​Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

Hello all:

Thanks

JG

Many of your questions are good ones, but honestly can only be answered by you. Everyone is different, coming from different backgrounds, differing ages, health/infirmities, minds sets, etc. My biggest advice I give people is to ask if you've ridden a quad or snowmobile. If so, then you already know more or less what a Spyder is all about. If you haven't, then it's a little harder to visualize, but honestly the differences are mostly in the rider's mind more than technically different.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

We sold our wing and didn't ride for awhile. Then got the urge to get back out there. wanted to go back to 2 wheels again but the little woman put a kink in that. Looked at Spyders for a long time and just had to have one. Best choice I made. Wife got tired of falling over in parking lot on 2 wheels. Wish I'd done it sooner. We have a 2011 Rt and it rides as good as our Chrysler 300. Best thing I can say is go to a dealer and test ride a couple of different models.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You REALLY need to search through old threads ......as there are a LOT of them that talk about the different "feel" of a Spyder.

It is a BIG difference and some have more trouble adapting than others. I am one of them.

But I WILL learn to like it......whether that is a total transformation or not.

And one recommendation:
    I personally would not have a '18 model where some of the "dashboard" functions require a cellphone to make it work.
    Look for a new '17 and do as much test riding as possible before deciding.

Second recommendation: Test ride a Wing trike or similar with independent rear suspension. A friend of mine strongly suggested that I should do that but I didn't. Now I'm almost afraid to.

I still have my Vulcan but not necessarily on purpose.
    It makes me sad all over again every time I ride it; gotta get serious about selling it.......so I can "move on".
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 04-06-2018 at 10:03 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tomline View Post
    #1 Easy! They say it's hard getting use to linked(no front lever) brake. Not! A matter of two or three rides!
    Assuming that EVERYBODY will adapt the same way that you did is a BIG mistake........because it is NOT true.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Assuming that EVERYBODY will adapt the same way that you did is a BIG mistake........because it is NOT true.
    I added me a hand brake on mine. Used one for so many years. I've gotten where I don't use it as much now, but still like it when I can keep my feet on the cruising pegs. Another thing is getting use to not putting your feet down when you stop. I really loved the 2 wheels, but with both knees replaced decided to go the 3 wheel route. It takes time to get use to 3 wheels. The more I ride it the better I like it. It wasn't a over night romance, it took me some time. In honesty at one time if I didn't have the knee problems I would still be on 2 wheels but I have come to terms with that and moved on. Now maybe one day I might move up to a F3, but really like my 08 GS.
    David