Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

It was a struggle for me. If I had test ridden a Spyder before I purchased I would never have gone through with it. But once I realized that 100% of the problem was me. Things got better in a hurry.

Now I realize that my Spyder is one of the best rides I've ever owned. It was operator error. Though I had a real hard time believing it at the time.

I still own a Suzuki M109R. Love them both and I can go back and forth between them with no issues.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 04-06-2018 at 11:36 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    Hello all:

Been a member for some time but I don't own a Spyder. Been thinking for quite a while and 2018 may be the year I do it. Will be 65 this year and I like the stability of the Spyder versus a two-wheeler. With so much road construction, or on the contrary, so many bad roads, I don't feel as comfortable and confident riding roads I am not familiar with.

I suspect many Spyder riders never rode a two-wheeler but at the same time I suspect many Spyder riders come with a background on two wheels.

With that said, I am looking for some insight, as follows:

1. How easy was it to migrate to a Spyder from your two-wheel motorcycle, technically and emotionally?

2. Did you sell your two-wheeler right away, maybe as a trade-in, or did you wait and finally decided you didn't want your two-wheeler anymore.

3. If you sold your two-wheeler right away, did you regret it and maybe even bought another one after. Or is it that you never looked back?

4. Having ridden your Spyder for some time now, in retrospect, do you really feel that it is safer than a two-wheeler? Do you feel more comfortable, confident?

I suppose this subject has been discussed before so if you have links to other similar threads, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

JG
    I'm sure others will jump in on this issue. First of all, it appears you have done some research on the Spyder which is good. I would now encourage you to test ride a Spyder. and try to get some distance, not just around the block. I'm sure item #'s 1 thru 4 will become an issue of the past. Good luck and hope we can welcome you to the Spyder family.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

50 years a two wheeler.

1. took about 15 mins
    2. Traded in
    3. Will never go back - no regrets
    4. Absolutely safer, not as comfortable (lacking lower back support)

AJ
    Hello all:

Been a member for some time but I don't own a Spyder. Been thinking for quite a while and 2018 may be the year I do it. Will be 65 this year and I like the stability of the Spyder versus a two-wheeler. With so much road construction, or on the contrary, so many bad roads, I don't feel as comfortable and confident riding roads I am not familiar with.

I suspect many Spyder riders never rode a two-wheeler but at the same time I suspect many Spyder riders come with a background on two wheels.

1. How easy was it to migrate to a Spyder from your two-wheel motorcycle, technically and emotionally?

2. Did you sell your two-wheeler right away, maybe as a trade-in, or did you wait and finally decided you didn't want your two-wheeler anymore.

3. If you sold your two-wheeler right away, did you regret it and maybe even bought another one after. Or is it that you never looked back?

4. Having ridden your Spyder for some time now, in retrospect, do you really feel that it is safer than a two-wheeler? Do you feel more comfortable, confident?

I suppose this subject has been discussed before so if you have links to other similar threads, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

JG

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Default From Motorcycle to Spyder

Hello all:
    Thanks
    JG
    1. Easy as pie. The first few times had to mentally remind myself that there was no hand brake lever. The other was that the Spyder does not lean in corners.
    2. Sold right away. I knew that I had to move to a Spyder due to hips and knees.
    3. Never looked back. Period.
    4. Absolutely more confident and far safer. My old knees and hips couldn't handle a motorcycle properly any more. My wife is pleased that I made the move.

Get out there and enjoy a Spyder!
    2014 ST Limited

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I ride both. It took some time but now I can switch back and forth without a problem. About a thousand miles sounds about right.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    You REALLY need to search through old threads ......as there are a LOT of them that talk about the different "feel" of a Spyder.

It is a BIG difference and some have more trouble adapting than others. I am one of them.

But I WILL learn to like it......whether that is a total transformation or not.

And one recommendation:
    I personally would not have a '18 model where some of the "dashboard" functions require a cellphone to make it work.
    Look for a new '17 and do as much test riding as possible before deciding.

Second recommendation: Test ride a Wing trike or similar with independent rear suspension. A friend of mine strongly suggested that I should do that but I didn't. Now I'm almost afraid to.

I still have my Vulcan but not necessarily on purpose.
    It makes me sad all over again every time I ride it; gotta get serious about selling it.......so I can "move on".
    We test rode a wing trike. Neither of us cared for the ride or the skinny front tire. Some of our friends love them. But I really prefer the spyder. Had a wing for years but with health issues and the ride I'll keep the RT we own now. But go try them both see which you like better

Spyder Garage

I grew up 2 hours in northern Maine from the BRP facility ...on Friday’s during the winter season I would ride my Ski Doo to school and whenever I could do other rides. I found that riding my F3T is like riding my old Ski Doo😎. I’ve had 4 motorcycles in the past ( last bike was a BMW 1200 RS)...wouldn’t go back to motorcycles..really like the stability of the reverse trike(just turned 61 today)...I can understand as with age 2 wheelers may go to 3 wheelers😎(but it’s not everyone)

Spyder Garage

Hello all:

Thanks

JG
    1. I bought my Spyder without having ridden one. I had an hour of riding around before I had to get a ferry back to the South Island and the 350km ride home. That hour was spent around town and that really highlighted the differences - needing to move the bars alot more and steer, not putting your feet down at junctions, the size that stopped me filtering through the traffic. I really began to think I'd made a big mistake. It was only as I hit the highway to the ferry terminal that I began to feel more comfortable, but it was the longer ride down the South Island that really sold it to me. In fact it made me feel like I was 17 learning to ride again, that buzz of getting the line in a corner just right and I just wanted to carry on riding when I got home.

2. The two wheelers had gone, though only because it was knackered.

3. No plans of buying another 2 wheeler as I enjoy the Spyder so much. However may have to if Can-am (or someone else) doesn't bring out a new version of the RS. I like road/sports bikes and Can-am don't have one of those in the range since they dropped the RS.

4. Much safer. Firstly road presence, number of "Sorry Mate I Didn't See You" instances have dropped to almost none. People even move out of your way when you come up behind them, never had that on a bike. Secondly the safety net of electronics work. I've hit gravel from a washout on a corner and all that happened was a slight wobble from the backend. A mate hit the same on a bike came off, ending up with broken ribs and a punctured lung.

Spyder Garage

Hello all:

Thanks

JG
    1. Easy with constraints. My brain got totally confused between bicycle riding and motorcycle riding, so I gave up motorcycle riding. Though I feel I have a lot to learn despite 1200 miles, at least I am not terrified. But I have a long way to go before I push it in the twisties.
    2. I sold my last motorcycle and went without for two years. I then decided to try a Spyder.
    3. Never looked back.
    4. My last motorcycle was a BMW 800 with ESC and ABS. If I had that motorcycle 15 years ago when I was a good rider, I think that would have been a bit safer. It was very maneuverable, stopped even faster than my Spyder (which is still superior to every other motorcycle I had including ones with ABS), and had me up high for visibility. The ESC kicked in one time so fast I didn't even had time panic, which I normally did before taking corrective actions.

Two comments on comfort.
    1, I found the F3-T to be way more comfortable than an RT due to it's adjustable foot pegs. And a custom seats helps substantially, though not as much as other motorcycles. I recently rode six hours to get a custom seat and the stock seat was the first one I could ride that long and not be 100% miserable. The custom seat was simply much better.
    2. You can't compare it to my other motorcycles for comfort since it has a much wider seat and a back rest.
    Last edited by gnorthern; 04-08-2018 at 02:35 AM.

Spyder Garage

At first I was thinking I made a big mistake.
    Every ride was a little better. Now I am on my second spyder and not wanting to go back. My wife rides a Road King and I ride it every now and then just to stay in practice but The F3 is so much better. More fun, More comfy....
    My wife rode my ST maybe twice. and has not ridden the F3 yet. For now its my big secret.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Hello all:

JG

It depends - I normally ask people if they have ever ridden ATV's most notably snowmobiles. If they are from the midwest or mountain states and say yes than the transition is very short term, like a few miles. If they are lifetime riders then it can vary from hundreds to thousands of miles as they have a mental block regarding non-leaning and the inability to simply relax.

Most will get rid of the two wheelers as once you ride a reverse trike going back is something of a downgrade.

Heck no

4. Having ridden your reverse trike for some time now, in retrospect, do you really feel that it is safer than a two-wheeler? Do you feel more comfortable, confident?

Absolutely much safer and we ride places I never would have before - gravel roads the old dirt road in Estes Park and even water crossings.
    In time you will also find cornering is faster than on a cruiser or tour bike as you don't have ground clearance issues.

I own 3 reverse trikes and 2 standard cruisers - I put 20k on the trikes last year and 35 miles on the two wheelers, mostly moving them from one storage container to another.

Spyder Garage

Hello all:

Thanks

JG
    I haven’t switched yet, but I know I’ll have to. Sooner than later medical issues will make it a necessity. My wife has an F3 that I ride. I didn’t like her former ST because it was too buzzy. Honestly, I’m finding her F3 really enjoyable with the larger engine, 6th gear, better ride, and reverse. It's certainly much easier to move around and takes the stress out of backing up compared to the Road Glide I’m on now. The issue isn’t riding the beast, as much as it is pushing and moving the boulder around. I refuse to buy a Tri-Glide, it’s just too much.

I’m a former motor officer from 28 years ago and I can still do a lot of the slow riding stuff. The worst part is realizing that I’ll loose all those skills I’ve spent three decades maintaining, so I’m thinking about when I make the switch, keeping a Sportster 1200 or something lightweight that I can still ride locally when I feel like it.