Spyder Garage

Default Radio help please

So I have been learning and enjoying my spyder. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the radio to tune to a station. I have a 2011 RTS that has a radio - I can get the display to show FM and that is it (other than volume up and down). When I hit mode it changes my trip A to trip B. I have looked in the manual, google, and youtube to no avail. What am I doing wrong? Please and thank you

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you hit the Mode button; it switches between the various features and options on the bike.
    Hit it until you se "FM" pop up...
    Then hit "Set"
    Now you're in the spot where you can tinker around with your various settings for what you'd want to listen to.

NOTE: You still can't touch the audio options in this spot... (Volume, fader, automatic volume control, bass and treble response)
    This stuff comes up in another spot...
    I just don't remember if it's called Personal settings, or options...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Here is a link to the Roadster Command Center Manual. Check this out and see if this helps. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...1RSaTg2MUpxREk

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RADIO STATIONS

Quote Originally Posted by GatorOdie View Post
    So I have been learning and enjoying my spyder. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the radio to tune to a station. I have a 2011 RTS that has a radio - I can get the display to show FM and that is it (other than volume up and down). When I hit mode it changes my trip A to trip B. I have looked in the manual, google, and youtube to no avail. What am I doing wrong? Please and thank you
    I have a 14 RT but I think the way they have all worked hasn't changed ...at least not this ..... there are arrows for up and down these will change the volume ..... the left - right arrows change the stations ...... a quick touch will move it one station ....if you hold for 2 seconds it should move to the next station that is getting the best reception ..... or at least it should if you are in an area with multiple stations emitting a good signal ....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can get the display to show FM and that is it (other than volume up and down).
    Starting out with the speedo showing, hit Mode once; the radio screen should show up.

At that point, the left and right "arrow" buttons on the "joystick" control should cause it to seek up or down to the next strong station if held down briefly.

The up and down joystick buttons are the volume control.

But also at that point, it should show an FM frequency......even if there isn't a usable signal there.

I think hitting "set" at that point allows you to do other things.......like set the preset stations.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 03-31-2018 at 12:20 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RADIO ISSUES

BUMP

Spyder Garage

Default Done

So I have tried all the suggestions...while I can see the "FM" on my info area, I can see the volume up/down when selected, I can see the audio settings for bass, treble, etc - when I hit mode it jumps from speedo to the settings skipping over the speaker icon entirely. Hubby says well your model may not have a radio after all. I say why would those settings be available if it had no radio? So frustrating at this point ready to take it to the shop and give them some of my hard earned money to tell me I am stupid

Spyder Garage

Gator Odie, What year and model do you have? Though it shouldn't matter, the audio section of all the manuals should be the same.
    Have you read the manual again to re read that Audio section? I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but I had to sit with the paper manual
    in my hands, on the Spyder, learning that Radio system. Wait until you add an IPOD into the mix. It frustrated me that while moving I couldn't
    change my playlists, like I do in my car etc. But sure enough BRP's engineer's didn't want me paying that much attention to the radio features
    while rolling.

Another weird thing is I can't tune a specific station, only search for stations that it can "see"(receive). I can then set those stations that it can receive as a preset.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If memory serves me correctly you may need to add the station # first versus searching for one then save it.

So lets say 97.9 add that then save. Try one of your favorite stations and see if it works

Spyder Garage

I read the manual...no help (sitting on it with key on) and took the pdf that was posted for me - got super frustrated as it does not come up for me to select any station. I have a 2011 RT SM5. I have turned volume all the way up and cannot change the stations as it does not go to any screen for me to select the FM that is showing on my screen

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    If memory serves me correctly you may need to add the station # first versus searching for one then save it.

So lets say 97.9 add that then save. Try one of your favorite stations and see if it works
    I can't get where I could input a station

Spyder Garage

I can't get where I could input a station
    GatorOdie, you don't actually input a station, when you're in FM section, you can just search for a station that the radio can receive (using the left right arrows with a long hold). Once the radio has found a station its getting signal for, you can then set that station as one of the presets.
    Last edited by DGoebel; 04-03-2018 at 08:09 PM.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Gator Oldie, at the top of your display do you see the tabs for each section of the display screens?
    The first tab at the top is the Default view (it's tab looks like a speedometer), Pressing the Mode button Once will move to the Audio section(Looks like a Speaker), (The CB section is third, Trip meter is 4th, and Settings section is 5th tab across the top) just to the left of the temp and time (if they're all enabled).
    Audio Control Screen.jpg
    When in the Audio section, it should normally default to FM or whatever the last set Audio Type was, FM, AM, WX, AuX, XM(if equipped). Pressing the SET button within this Tab cycles through the available audio inputs. Once you're on FM or AM is where you could "tune" to a receivable station, assuming of course your antenna is mounted properly and connected properly (either being not the case could cause no reception).
    When you're in the FM section (like depicted above) Pressing the left right arrow shortly, will just cycle through the preset FM channels (if there are any presets that you can receive).
    PRESSING AND HOLDING the left or right arrow for more than one second will seek for receivable stations. Once you're receiving a station it will stop seeking, you can then SET it as a preset by holding the SET button for more than 1 second, or just listen to it.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Gator, I guess first we should have asked does it have a 3 foot longish antenna sticking up and back from the Right Speaker pod area(it could have been switched to a shorty antenna too)?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Gator, I guess first we should have asked does it have a 3 foot longish antenna sticking up and back from the Right Speaker pod area(it could have been switched to a shorty antenna too)?
    Good for you.
    Back to basics !!!

Another owner recently had a similar problem and the fuse was blown on his radio.

Spyder Garage

Default Yes antenna...

Yes it has an antenna - had been traded out for a shorty one. When I hit mode it skips from speedo to trip or settings. I have not checked the fuse so that is on the agenda tomorrow or Saturday. Fingers crossed

Spyder Garage

Default WOOHOO!

So opened up the fuse box...there was NO FUSE IN THE RADIO FUSE SLOT!!! Plugged one in and presto! I have sound

Putting the miles on and gaining more comfort. Having a blast! Thank you for all the suggestions. When weather clears I will work on programming my stations. And maybe put in an order with hubby for a bluetooth phone connector

Spyder Garage

So it appears that the previous owner removed the fuse. That leaves me to wonder why. The only reason that could be serious is battery drain. Now that the fuse is back in. Let it sit for a couple days. If it starts right up. All is good.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

So opened up the fuse box...there was NO FUSE IN THE RADIO FUSE SLOT!!! Plugged one in and presto! I have sound

Putting the miles on and gaining more comfort. Having a blast! Thank you for all the suggestions. When weather clears I will work on programming my stations. And maybe put in an order with hubby for a bluetooth phone connector
    Congratulations, Easy Rider with the WIN! (ning suggestion).
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default battery drained

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    So it appears that the previous owner removed the fuse. That leaves me to wonder why. The only reason that could be serious is battery drain. Now that the fuse is back in. Let it sit for a couple days. If it starts right up. All is good.
    Yes I wondered why too. I now know that after a few days of leaving the fuse in...drains the battery so it won't start. So fuse is out and I will listen to my music with my phone and earbuds. Not liking this turning into a moneypit instead of letting me farkle it

Spyder Garage

Yes I wondered why too. I now know that after a few days of leaving the fuse in...drains the battery so it won't start. So fuse is out and I will listen to my music with my phone and earbuds. Not liking this turning into a moneypit instead of letting me farkle it
    Sorry to hear that. From what others have posted. Water has gotten into the radio module and does not let it completely shutdown. BRP was replacing them under warranty, but yours is long past that. You could ask if they will replace it under good will. What is the worst they could do. Say no. The other option would be to get a radio module from a wrecker. The module is under the seat on the right side. So getting one from a Spyder with front end damage will likely yield a good one.

If anyone has a copy of the service bulletin for this. Please post to confirm if my memory is correct.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes I wondered why too. I now know that after a few days of leaving the fuse in...drains the battery so it won't start.
    An audio system in good working order should NOT run the battery down, even over several weeks.......IF the battery is healthy and fully charged when parked.

This might be a sign that your battery is on it's last legs. The radio/audio system draws close to nothing when the Spyder is OFF.