Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I made a tire mistake

I bought new Michelin T+H (205/60-15) for my RT. The dealer called and said they were afraid to mount it. They didn't think it would mount wide enough to seat securely.
    I now either have to go back to the Kenda, or buy another tire and drive 140 miles round-trip to deliver the new tire.

One thing I and the mechanic both noticed about this tire, is the fact that the sidewall is VERY flexible. When you pick the tire up by the bead, it actually flexes out under the tire's weight. I've never seen a car tire do that before.

Spyder Garage

I’d drive the 140 vs a Kenda.
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire issue

Quote Originally Posted by waynerho View Post
    I bought new Michelin T+H (205/60-15) for my RT. The dealer called and said they were afraid to mount it. They didn't think it would mount wide enough to seat securely.
    I now either have to go back to the Kenda, or buy another tire and drive 140 miles round-trip to deliver the new tire.

One thing I and the mechanic both noticed about this tire, is the fact that the sidewall is VERY flexible. When you pick the tire up by the bead, it actually flexes out under the tire's weight. I've never seen a car tire do that before.
    Wayne ........ sorry but your dealer is a STEALER ....He just wants you to buy the Kenda - that's where His profit margin is ......... Lots of folks here have used the 205/60 size on GS-RS-ST bikes........ if you doubt me go on Tire Rack.com and choose any reg. tire in this size and go to the specs sheet ..... it will tell you what Rim/Wheel WIDTHS will work with that size ........ Mike .........Update - Your Wheel/Rim is 7 inches wide & because we are friends I just looked it up for you ..... According to the EXPERTS your Exact tire has A wheel/rim WIDTH range of 5.5 to 7.5 inches ....... this is not my OPINION it is the Experts
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-31-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have been running a 205/60 x 15 Michelin for over two years on our RT and at 18# pressure. I have run curves at twice the posted speed without any issues. I am on my second Michelin tire after wearing out the first at 24,000 miles.
    You will be fine with this size.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Thanks for that link, and to you BlueKnight911. You are both correct. 7'' rim is supported by the tire.
    I've called the dealer, but the tech is at lunch. I'm waiting to hear back.

Spyder Garage

Default MICHELIN TIRE

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I have been running a 205/60 x 15 Michelin for over two years on our RT and at 18# pressure. I have run curves at twice the posted speed without any issues. I am on my second Michelin tire after wearing out the first at 24,000 miles.
    You will be fine with this size.
    24,000 ...... your roads must be very hard on tires ..... My Hydro-Edge has 36,600 and I think I can Safely get another 3,000 or so ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default DEALER / STEALER

Thanks for that link, and to you BlueKnight911. You are both correct. 7'' rim is supported by the tire.
    Good luck .... a lot of Professionals ....don't like to told they are wrong ......... Mike .............PS the " T & H " model Defender is the better of the two ....... .............Plus if they tell you a CAR tire won't match the Spyder RIM type .......well that's just BS ....they are both " J " style tire rims /wheels
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-31-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gee Mike... You must ride like an old man: I can only get 12,000 miles our of my replacement tires...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Any tire changing place can change the tire.

Just remove the hub first if yours can be removed.

If not any tire place that has motorcycle adapters can do this too.

I change mine at home manually.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This is what we put on in 2014. Still on there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spyder Garage

Default REMOVE HUB ????????

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Any tire changing place can change the tire.

Just remove the hub first if yours can be removed.

If not any tire place that has motorcycle adapters can do this too.

I change mine at home manually.
    These places can do it without removing the HUB ....... because if they couldn't ....then what do the folks do with the HUBS that don't come OFF ..... I think from 16 and up they are semi-permanently on the wheel ....... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    These places can do it without removing the HUB ....... because if they couldn't ....then what do the folks do with the HUBS that don't come OFF ..... I think from 16 and up they are semi-permanently on the wheel ....... Mike

Not all machines are the same and cannot accept with the wheel hub on. Some machines are setup to accept the wheel hubs. That's all I was saying

Spyder Garage

Default REMOVE HUB ????????

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Not all machines are the same and cannot accept with the wheel hub on. Some machines are setup to accept the wheel hubs. That's all I was saying
    And all I was saying was it can be done without HUB removal....... All the new wheels have non-removable HUBS ..... this is what has been said on the Forum .............Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I do my own tires. I have a Harbor Freight tire changer with the motorcycle attachment and had no problem changing my tire with the wheel that the hub is not removable. The only problem is to get it balanced. I have a Marc axle balancer that will work. Harbor Freight also has axle balancer pretty reasonable. Best is to purchase a Centralmatic balancer for the rear wheel from The Lamonster Garage and you won't have to worry about balancing it again.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

And all I was saying was it can be done without HUB removal....... All the new wheels have non-removable HUBS ..... this is what has been said on the Forum .............Mike
    The wheels fit on my Ranger tire machine just fine with the hub (and brake rotor for that matter) still on the wheel. No need to remove.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

24,000 ...... your roads must be very hard on tires ..... My Hydro-Edge has 36,600 and I think I can Safely get another 3,000 or so ...... Mike
    Mike,

I was running that one at 26# and it wore the center down. I could have gotten more miles out of it, but decided to start fresh at 18#

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default 24,000

Mike,

I was running that one at 26# and it wore the center down. I could have gotten more miles out of it, but decided to start fresh at 18#

Les
    Well I guess I don't have to tell you how Happy this makes me .................. your Spyder will have more traction at all times ---plus the TIRE will more compliant, which means it will feel better ......... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-31-2018 at 09:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default REAR TIRE BALANCE

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    I do my own tires. I have a Harbor Freight tire changer with the motorcycle attachment and had no problem changing my tire with the wheel that the hub is not removable. The only problem is to get it balanced. I have a Marc axle balancer that will work. Harbor Freight also has axle balancer pretty reasonable. Best is to purchase a Centralmatic balancer for the rear wheel from The Lamonster Garage and you won't have to worry about balancing it again.
    On my first rear tire change I had it balanced ...my last 5, I didn't and had No issues .....Car tires are better constructed and have better quality control, so I don't think the rear tire needs balancing .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike,

Les
    Les, It looks like that smile in your new avatar and sig pic will start to hurt after a while... Welcome to the 18# club, BKMike convinced me last year...
    Still waiting for all the Snirt to melt here in Fbo
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On my first rear tire change I had it balanced ...my last 5, I didn't and had No issues .....Car tires are better constructed and have better quality control, so I don't think the rear tire needs balancing .....Mike
    You are probably right the rear with a car tire is much truer that the original tire. I did purchase a set of three Centralmatic balancers and do have the one on the rear. I had my Federal front tires balanced with a real good automotive balancer and have not put the balancers on the front. It sure rides real smooth.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Just installed a Yokohama S drive on the back of my 08 Spyder. I have always run balancing beads, but decided to give it a try with no balance at all. To my surprise I couldn't tell any difference. Unless I get a tire that acts crazy no more balance on the rear tire. I am really liking this Yokohama S drive tire. Love the stiff side walls and was the easiest tire I have mounted.
    David

Spyder Garage

Mike,

Les
    Eighteen #s is the magic number for me. I balked, stalled, didn't believe, procrastinated, and had many more excuses for not going below 20. But once I did, I will not go back.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I run 26lbs. on my rear Yokohama S tire. I've put about 6000 miles on it, and have done countless heat signature checks during rides. I don't see a higher heat signature in the center much. Slightly more on the corners.

Ran it at 18lbs. because some here suggest it. Didn't like it at all. Heat at corners was definitely higher. I don't know what it will do with your tire. I've just measured mine.

I'm not making this comment to get into another piddly pissing contest. I just know that others run higher pressures, and have reached out to me privately in the past because it can just be too hostile on the forums. People get butt hurt when others have different preferences. And, 3,2,1.... a "butt science" comment to follow...
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Default HIGH PSI

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    I run 26lbs. on my rear Yokohama S tire. I've put about 6000 miles on it, and have done countless heat signature checks during rides. I don't see a higher heat signature in the center much. Slightly more on the corners.

Ran it at 18lbs. because some here suggest it. Didn't like it at all. Heat at corners was definitely higher. I don't know what it will do with your tire. I've just measured mine.

I'm not making this comment to get into another piddly pissing contest. I just know that others run higher pressures, and have reached out to me privately in the past because it can just be too hostile on the forums. People get butt hurt when others have different preferences. And, 3,2,1.... a "butt science" comment to follow...
    Here ...this isn't a Piddly comment .... It is a widely known FACT that Mufflers on Spyders are adversely effected by High PSI in tires ...... The mufflers you have for sale will sound much better on a Spyder with the correct PSI ...... I'm saying this to help you sell them ....... Your Welcome ....... Mike