Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Default REAR END HOTTER IN THE CORNER....!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    I run 26lbs. on my rear Yokohama S tire. I've put about 6000 miles on it, and have done countless heat signature checks during rides. I don't see a higher heat signature in the center much. Slightly more on the corners.

Ran it at 18lbs. because some here suggest it. Didn't like it at all. Heat at corners was definitely higher. I don't know what it will do with your tire. I've just measured mine.

I'm not making this comment to get into another piddly pissing contest. I just know that others run higher pressures, and have reached out to me privately in the past because it can just be too hostile on the forums. People get butt hurt when others have different preferences. And, 3,2,1.... a "butt science" comment to follow...
    HOW CAN A ROUND REAR END BE HOTTER IN THE CORNERS ??? HO, NOT THAT REAR END ..... NOW, I UNDERSTAND...!!!

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Here ...this isn't a Piddly comment .... It is a widely known FACT that Mufflers on Spyders are adversely effected by High PSI in tires ...... The mufflers you have for sale will sound much better on a Spyder with the correct PSI ...... I'm saying this to help you sell them ....... Your Welcome ....... Mike
    Go take a look. Lamont had to delete your silly childish comment on my exhaust for sale post on the 4 Sale threads.

I seriously can't believe your troll behavior on these threads. Making a comment like you did on my exhaust post, iS WHAT TROLLS DO on the internet. It's what they do to try to dominate a forum. It's what they do to try to push others out of a forum. I know because I was an Administrator for a much larger forum than this.

I like to have my tires at a higher psi and have gone through my due diligence to discover it.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Richardv View Post
    HOW CAN A ROUND REAR END BE HOTTER IN THE CORNERS ??? HO, NOT THAT REAR END ..... NOW, I UNDERSTAND...!!!
    I don't understand what you even mean. I measured heat signatures across all tire surfaces AS RECOMMENDED by a tire expert ON THIS FORUM.

Our tires are not round. They have "corners."
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    This is what we put on in 2014. Still on there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    What made you decide to go to a bigger, different brand tire then what can on bike originally?
    Last edited by Cruising RT; 04-01-2018 at 08:57 PM.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruising RT View Post
    What made you decide to go to a bigger, different brand tire then what can on bike originally?
    It helped to correct the speedo error from the Kindra so that it is now very close to the GPS. There are threads buried here about that, but good luck finding them. I'll see if I can find you a link....

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Two reasons most everyone here, who has done so, has changed to a bigger different rear tire. Most of us, but not all, have decided for ourselves that the OEM Kendas truly deserve the nickname "Crapenda"! Mileage life is poor ranging from about 7000 miles to 13000 miles depending on which iteration of rubber compound it is. The center tends to wear out much faster than the outer treads regardless of the tire pressure. The wear is what you typically see when you run a tire seriously over inflated.

The reason for a bigger rear tire is that there are extremely few car tires made the same size as the OEMs. The slightly larger diameter and narrower width tires are easily bought most anywhere, and fit the bike rims and fender space quite well. As mentioned above, they have the added benefit of reducing the speedometer/odometer error when compared to GPS readings.

The OEM Kenda front tires are OK for the most part. Mileage is normally around 22k to 25k miles. There are quite a few reports of unbalanced tires as well as some that have a tendency to pull to one side or the other. The majority of owners get satisfactory service from them, but regular car tires are cheaper, last longer, and handle better for the most part. Here again car tires aren't readily available in the OEM tire size so compromises are made.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IdahoMtnSpydergave a good report above, and I'll add my example of the actual cost savings of using a car tire -- on the rear, anyway.

I get mine mounted by the dealer, who charges 2 hours labor to mount and balance the rear tire. A few simple punches in my calculator tells me my cost per mile on the General is 36.5% of the Kenda. So, only about ONE THIRD the cost. YMMV.

I know, cost isn't everything, but it's a point to consider when making your decision.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl