Thread: Brake pads

Spyder Garage

Default Brake pads

How many miles can you get out of your OEM break pads. I have 15000 on mine but not sure when to change them out.

2015 RT Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default My 2014 RT

Quote Originally Posted by Rookiespyder View Post
    How many miles can you get out of your OEM break pads. I have 15000 on mine but not sure when to change them out.
    The only way to be safe is to check them by removing the caliper ..... BajaRon has commented that a lot of Pads are changed long before they are worn out .... I got 30,000 miles on my rear pads ( but I was very close to metal ) I just checked my fronts ( for the third time ) 36,000 miles and they still have enough Pad for at least another 5,000 miles ..... The pad wear varies by a lot of different factors even which Spyder..... The only way to be safe is to look at them ..... It's not that difficult ............good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Don't wanna push them too far ,pads are cheaper than disk
    & finless made an easy tutorial: & if you do end up needing some BaJa Ron is way to go, fast delivery & great communication.
    Last edited by Bfromla; 03-31-2018 at 12:48 AM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it.....

The best way is to inspect them. Many things affect the wear. I got 33,000 on the rear and have over 40,000 on the fronts with some still to go.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Wear limit is much less than most automotive applications. BRP recommends replacing them at 1mm (about 3/4 the thickness of a dime). Basically, just before you get metal to metal contact. Be sure to check both pads (left and right) as one pad may wear more quickly than the other.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I looked at my brake pads while they were still on the bike. They looked like they needed changing at 17,000 miles. Once I pulled them off though, they didn’t need changing, but since I already had everything apart I replaced them with new EBC pads from BajaRon for about 100 bucks. Well worth the improved stoping ability with the new pads and glad I had them on hand.
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

Default 50K

i put 50,000 miles on my RS and the front & rear pads still had meat on them....
    on my F3, i cooked a disk on the left front at 17,000 miles...
    if/when you change them, order from BAJA-RON, and get the EBC pads....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    i put 50,000 miles on my RS and the front & rear pads still had meat on them....
    on my F3, i cooked a disk on the left front at 17,000 miles...
    if/when you change them, order from BAJA-RON, and get the EBC pads....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    'Disk Cooking' is not all that uncommon. And the EBC rotors are much better quality for about 1/2 the price of an OEM rotor. Pretty much a no brainer.

But the interesting thing about all of this is you'd think the heavier RT's, mostly ridden 2 up plus many times hauling a full load of gear and maybe even pulling a trailer, would be burning up the most rotors. I think the RT outsells all the other models as well so you have numbers on the side of the theory.

But no. It's the F3 guys (and gals) burning up the most rotors by far. Interesting...

One really great fact that makes me happy to be carrying the EBC rotors is that I've had customers. More than a few. Who, after having burned up 2 sets of OEM rotors, come to me for their 3rd set. And to date, not one of these customers has destroyed an EBC rotor.

Happy customers make for a very happy supplier!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rookiespyder View Post
    Front and rear wear at different rates. The rear seems to wear out the fastest. You can look at the pads and see when they're worn thin and ready for replacement.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Front and rear wear at different rates. The rear seems to wear out the fastest. You can look at the pads and see when they're worn thin and ready for replacement.
    On the older, non Brembo models (2008-2012) they biased the rear brake very heavily. In other words, the rear brake came on first and went off last. I'm assuming this was intended to help stabilize the Spyder when braking. These earlier models typically go through 2 rear pad sets for every front pad set.

When Can-Am redesigned the Spyder in 2013, going to the Brembo system and abandoning their Chinese components (very good move by the way), it appears that they adjusted this rear wheel bias. Now, for most riders, the rear wears at about the same rate as the fronts. I think the rear still applies early and releases late. But the fronts now take a much bigger load in the overall braking process.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-31-2018 at 03:58 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    On the older, non Brembo models (2008-2012) they biased the rear break very heavily. In other words, the rear brake came on first and went off last. I'm assuming this was intended to help stabilize the Spyder when braking. These earlier models typically go through 2 rear pad sets for ever front pad set.

When Can-Am redesigned the Spyder in 2013, going to the Brembo system and abandoning their Chinese components (very good move by the way), it appears that they adjusted this rear wheel bias. Now, for most riders, the rear wears at about the same rate as the fronts. I think the rear still applies early and releases late. But the fronts now take a much bigger load in the overall braking process.
    I think you're right. That was on the older models that I saw that happening.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

18,500 rear
    17,500 front
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

Default Yep the wifes F3 is wearing faster than the RT

My 15 RT still has about 2 mm out of the original 4 mm pad thickness at 34,000 miles, but our riding on open roads out west only needs a brake stop about every 20 miles or so..

Jus kiddin'

The 16 F3 also has about half the rear pad thickness gone after about 20,000 miles. As BajaRon said the inside pads are wearing faster than the outside ones, so I'll have to watch them this summer. I have a set of rear pads on the shelf, but need to order a couple sets for the fronts when the time comes. Looking forward to some road trips and more Myles of Smyles!!
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss