Spyder Garage

Default Digging for problem, ST-S

2013 ST-S,SE-5 6K miles. Was a nice day and decided to take bike out. Few miles down road
    suddenly was getting loud under motor and lost power on hills. Seemed to not want to shift on it's own. Pulled over and did quick look at exhaust and oil check. Really bad smell that was neither brakes nor gas. In parking lot, started having misfires and loud noise now intermittent.
    Limped home slowly while daylight, misfires and loud noise getting worse. Smell still there as pulled into garage.

First found plugs were not iridium so decided to do plugs/wires. Waiting for shipment decided to take more panels off. Found left side panel below seat had melted plastic edge not really visible with panel on!! Right near belt and exhaust gasket. Now suspect gasket issue.

Will take any advice and will update the end result. Initially heart broken picturing tranny/motor problems, or some crazy electrical unit, now some hope it's not that.

Spyder Garage

? Does the Spyder still have the 2013 panels, or has it been up dated to the 2014 panels?
    2014 ST-L

Spyder Garage

Inspect the exhaust on the left side. There have been 2 or 3 reports of the pipe failing at the weld.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Inspect the exhaust on the left side. There have been 2 or 3 reports of the pipe failing at the weld.
    That & part of the belt guard coming loose & riding up belt to melt by pipe & other forces.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

Have to agree with billybovine on the exhaust issue. The weld and the Y gaskets will give those symptoms. Loud with popping and backfiring. Could also melt the panels if blow-by is direct to the panels. The smell depends...maybe the plastic, clutch which could be something to do with no power on hills but would smell like burnt cork. Let us know what you find. The plugs and wires will help either way....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Picture worth a thousand words

See picture below and look at the header pipe, in the area circled in red.

2013 st exhaust.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks all! Will update soon

Well, a few places to go. Got shipment so putting new wires, plugs in and oil change.
    Hope bike running will show where noise comes from. Definitely have to check the belt guide.
    LOL, off comes bags and more panels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck with the repairs: please let us know how it all works out!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Found it.

Well, think I have it. First thanks to all for advice. Does have 13 panels still. Was not belt guard
    but now I'm watching the belt, a little too "worn white" on edge. Welds seem okay in spite of what it was.

While it looked okay not running, the pipe slip joint, as brp calls it, ie exhaust gasket of sorts, between two pipes was loose. The collar clamp appeared tight but under running load pipes
    would let exhaust leak BECAUSE, someone had removed the spring.

Damn- feel stupid as I was not the original owner and thought I had checked everything out.
    Guess it's possible spring gave up while I was riding. I've done enough aftermarket slip ons with springs to know better. So panels off I've had a chance to do some tightening and cleaning but seem to be forgetting something??? Oh right, time to ride this thing!! Again Thanks all.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by damnyankee View Post
    Well, think I have it. First thanks to all for advice. Does have 13 panels still. Was not belt guard
    but now I'm watching the belt, a little too "worn white" on edge. Welds seem okay in spite of what it was.

While it looked okay not running, the pipe slip joint, as brp calls it, ie exhaust gasket of sorts, between two pipes was loose. The collar clamp appeared tight but under running load pipes

Damn- feel stupid as I was not the original owner and thought I had checked everything out.
    Guess it's possible spring gave up while I was riding. I've done enough aftermarket slip ons with springs to know better. So panels off I've had a chance to do some tightening and cleaning but seem to be forgetting something??? Oh right, time to ride this thing!! Again Thanks all.
    & u got to see it "naked"

Glad you found before damage or worse injury.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by damnyankee View Post

The left side never had a spring from the factory and does not need one. Install one if you like. By your description was loose clamp was the cause.

2018 F3 LIMITED