Thread: DESS Recall???

Spyder Garage

Default DESS Recall???

Talked my friend into buying a 2014 Spyder RTL with 3,500 miles on it. Has had it two weeks and is now throwing the DESS code. We know what it is but the question is with it being such a common problem on the 2014's has BRP put a recall on them or are they fixing them as they break. Is the fix a warranty items due to so many breaking or does the owner have to pay for the whole fix. Any help would be appreciated. I have a 2014 RTL also but have not had this issue happen to me. Of course he is getting ready for a cross country trip next week and its doubtful that it can be fixed in time. He thinks he will just ride it anyways and be patient if it throws the codes. So far after trying a few times it has started up each time. Converting him over from a Harley Ultra and this is not a good start.
    Current Modes of Transportation:
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT LTD / Pearl White
    2014 Can Cam Commander 1000 Side X Side / Yellow and Black
    2007 Kawasaki Nomad Cruiser 1600 / Black with lots of Chrome
    2006 Ford F-150 Bronze and Chrome
    2014 ASICS Gel-Nimbus Running Shoes / Blue and White

Spyder Garage

My 2011 had a problem with the throttle bodies that was a common issue. Turned out there was a bulletin on it, so when the dealer put in a case on it, BRP treated it as warranty and covered it. Hope it works the same for you.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DESS ISSUE

Quote Originally Posted by Utah Geezer View Post
    Talked my friend into buying a 2014 Spyder RTL with 3,500 miles on it. Has had it two weeks and is now throwing the DESS code. We know what it is but the question is with it being such a common problem on the 2014's has BRP put a recall on them or are they fixing them as they break. Is the fix a warranty items due to so many breaking or does the owner have to pay for the whole fix. Any help would be appreciated. I have a 2014 RTL also but have not had this issue happen to me. Of course he is getting ready for a cross country trip next week and its doubtful that it can be fixed in time. He thinks he will just ride it anyways and be patient if it throws the codes. So far after trying a few times it has started up each time. Converting him over from a Harley Ultra and this is not a good start.
    It has been a warranty fix for owners who still have the orig. or extended warranty..... I think the failure rate has been something so frequent that should it should be offered to anyone at anytime it fails ...... But I doubt it will ..... The fix/repair is actually pretty easy if your friend can take off the Frunk ..... Mine failed at Spyderfest 2016, and I had it re-placed under warranty ....... When I returned home I moved the module to just under the right headlight, I can change mine ( if it ever fails again ) in about five minutes in the dark with a blindfold on ....seriously I can ...... The module is just above the Battery on the firewall (but behind the frunk )...... I think it cost $130.00 +/- for the part , but the dealer is going to charge 2+ hrs for Labor ........ If the friend gets the Module they should consider moving like I did .... the OEM wiring for it can easily reach to under the headlight ..... some DESS issues involved Changing the transponder in the Ignition switch also ......However this has not been the case since BRP made their last changes to the Module ........ good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Ride it WITH it throwing code? Not in My experience, CanAm wanted to send you home with newly
    coded keys and a handshake. Which naturally was not a fix. I had mine changed and had to pay out of pocket.
    You are left stranded somewhere you don't want to be.

I asked a dealer the other day if he knew of any machines "saved" by DESS. He was like hmm...
    I know it has stopped PLENTY of owners.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine failed completely and had to be replaced. I was still under the 2015 2-year warranty, which covered it in full, but I was out of service for 8 days waiting for the part and the fix. I don't know that I'd risk a trip while it's acting up...
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BRP did come out with some updated parts for the system; Mike would have the part numbers for them.
    My 2014 never had a problem with the DESS, so I never kept abreast of the finer points of their attempts to fix it.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

And there is always the option to just have DESS turned off and be done with it.

There was no recall, its covered if your bike is under warranty. If the warranty is expired, its on your dime. Turning it off is far cheaper than the cost to repair....and have it fail again.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Turn it off???

How would one go about turning off the DESS and will it effect anything else???

Thanks for the help. Hope you can instruct me so I can help him.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    And there is always the option to just have DESS turned off and be done with it.

There was no recall, its covered if your bike is under warranty. If the warranty is expired, its on your dime. Turning it off is far cheaper than the cost to repair....and have it fail again.
    Current Modes of Transportation:
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT LTD / Pearl White
    2014 Can Cam Commander 1000 Side X Side / Yellow and Black
    2007 Kawasaki Nomad Cruiser 1600 / Black with lots of Chrome
    2006 Ford F-150 Bronze and Chrome
    2014 ASICS Gel-Nimbus Running Shoes / Blue and White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You'll need a guy with access to a BUDS unit, and the "Platinum Card" access to it...
    (I don't know what they really call it. )
    JC knows all about this: he's got one!

Spyder Garage

You will need a shop that owns a Megatech licence for BUDS. Most dealers do not spring for this upgraded version.

Its a simple setting to turn it off and its gone. Never to bother you again. No side effects other than you are not prevented from riding your own bike.

Yes, we have this capability but there are others around the country. If I had a failing DESS that was out of warranty, I might be persuaded to purchase a short duration BUDS licence just for this one setting if there was no shop in reasonable driving distance.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for filling in the blanks; regarding this option!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Utah Geezer View Post
    Take a look at : D.E.S.S. KEY CODE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! I started a thread on 8/13/2015 about the "D.E.S.S. This thread has a lot of interesting info.

I have a 2014 RTS-SE6 and I have had the D.E.S.S module replaced twice ( and the ignition switch replaced once). Yes it is covered under the Warranty, and the B.E.ST warranty. Be sure your dealership has the parts, and have your dealership open up a case with BRP. Since I have had the D.E.S.S module replaced I have not had the dess errors. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue