Spyder Garage

Default Enclosed trailer question

What is the minimum size I would need to haul a RT limited and Goldwing? It would be nice to haul them together rather than taking two vehicles. Any recommendations on size and brands? Was thinking at least six by fourteen. Ramp has to be at least 66” wide. Thanks guys
    Last edited by RapidSpyder; 03-28-2018 at 09:24 PM.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

We’ve got a 7x14 that holds one Spyder with some room to spare. The front 2 ft are taken up by cabinets but my guess is that, without the cabinets, you could get them to fit with the Spyder in front to one side ant the wing to the rear on the other.
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Spyder Garage

I have a 18 ft v nose lightning snowmobile trailer that I put a spyder and a Harley Ultra Glide in. Hauled them 4000 miles without a problem.
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Spyder Garage

Default Enclosed Trailer

Tr
    Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    What is the minimum size I would need to haul a RT limited and Goldwing? It would be nice to haul them together rather than taking two vehicles. Any recommendations on size and brands? Was thinking at least six by fourteen. Ramp has to be at least 66” wide. Thanks guys
    I went with an 8.5 wide by 16 long. Had a 14 long and it was really tight getting my spyder and my buddies 2 wheeled in it. I like the extra width because this old body has a problem moving around in tight spaces.
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Front Bumper (Black)
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Spyder Garage

Any brand recommendations? I’m looking at a Sharp with a torsion axle. Tandem
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I use a 7x19 foot all aluminum Legend enclosed. The 19 includes the V nose. I haul a 2015 RT, a 2008 HD Ultra and can fit in a 1999 BMW R1200C. The Legend brand is one of the lower cost all aluminum brands. I’ve had it for 10 years and it’s holding up well. I pull it with a Sprinter that is a 3/4 ton van. Just a comment on going smaller. I’m an old fat guy. While you might fit the Spyder and Wing in something smaller, just remember you need to tie them down too. Can get interesting fastening big bikes in small places.
    Lucky

2015 RTS SE6
    2008 Harley Ultra
    1999 BMW R1200C
    1986 Harley Electraglide

Spyder Garage

Default 5200# axel

There was a resent thread which covered some good ideas. I have a 7X14 v nose, single 5200 lb axle with electric brakes. I put my friends Harley touring rig up front and mostly to the right into a typical cycle front tire stall. I then back my Spyder easily into the left side at an off angle and strap it there. Plenty of room to walk around both vehicles when loaded. The Harley goes into a $35 Harbor Freight cycle tire holder. With the cycle stall on the right side and no touring bike in it. I pull my Spyder straight in just past the axle to put some tongue weight on the tow vehicle. The best way to tie down a Spyder is a strap over each front tire. I have low profile tie downs located in front and back of each front tire. I mount the ties downs directly below where the rims line up so the strap kind of has a horse shoe shape over the tire. pm me if you want some pics?
    Dennis

Any brand recommendations? I’m looking at a Sharp with a torsion axle. Tandem

Spyder Garage

we have a 7x16 v-nose tandem. We have a RT-S and a Victory Cross Country Tour. We did successfully fit them in a 7x14, but it was real tight. The price difference on the Diamond Cargo brand was only a couple hundred bucks and came with a beefier trailer tongue which could better handle a weight distributing hitch, if needed. No torsion axle on ours. Put Spyder up into the V and the Vic slightly angled in the rear. Have gone 5600 miles with no concerns. It is nice having the extra wiggle room in the trailer to check thing like strap tensions and adjust air vents.
    Last edited by Bumble_B; 03-30-2018 at 08:53 PM.
    2020 RTL Chrome Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Default Hello there

To answer your question, as some may have pointed out a 7x10 .7x14 is a good place to start. good luck please come back and tell us what one did you go with.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To load them in-line, a 7 X 18 with vee nose. We have a 7 X 16 plus the vee nose to haul various combinations of ST, F3-S and H-D Electra Glide and Road Glides. Always back one of the Spyders into the vee and drive the second bike in. Adequate space to move around and strap down, plus room along the side to haul bags and gear. Takes about 10 minutes to load or unload. The trunk on the RT or F3 Ltd requires more length as does the 2014 and later H-D glides; a Victory is longer as are the Goldwings (although I don't know about the redesigned 2018 GW).

I've had 8' wide trailers and if you are pulling with a pickup or van, they catch a lot of wind and will pull harder than a 7' width.

Wayne
    Last edited by pauly1; 04-02-2018 at 11:41 PM.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

I puffer in line as well, less to go wrong.
    SpYderman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    To load them in-line, a 7 X 18 with vee nose. We have a 7 X 16 plus the vee nose to haul various combinations of ST, F3-S and H-D Electra Glide and Road Glides. Always back one of the Spyders into the vee and drive the second bike in. Adequate space to move around and strap down, plus room along the side to haul bags and gear. Takes about 10 minutes to load or unload. The trunk on the RT or F3 Ltd requires more length as does the 2014 and later H-D glides; a Victory is longer as are the Goldwings (although I don't know about the redesigned 2018 GW).

I've had 8' wide trailers and if you are pulling with a pickup or van, they catch a lot of wind and will pull harder than a 7' width.

Wayne
    We have to pull the Spyder in forward to comfortably fit both bikes. Must be just a little longer and wider than some other bike combo's. Would have liked to have shifted some Spyder weight rearward, by backing it in, but could not do it. The tongue weight does squat the 1/2 ton pickup a little with the RT all the way up in the V..
    2020 RTL Chrome Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Default Ok, another question.

What makes more of a difference. An Aluma trailer I am looking at weighs about 500 lbs less then a Sharp but is six inches higher. 6’6” as opposed to 6’ walls.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

What makes more of a difference. An Aluma trailer I am looking at weighs about 500 lbs less then a Sharp but is six inches higher. 6’6” as opposed to 6’ walls.

I went with 6' 6". Tried a 6' and liked the taller trailer because of additional head height while loading the Spyder.
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Spyder Garage

What makes more difference in towing, the added height or lower weight?

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

What makes more difference in towing, the added height or lower weight?
    Really no difference with the actually. Probably a small difference in fuel mileage.
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners