Spyder Garage

Default Advise on purchase 2012 RSS

I'm looking at purchasing a 2012 RSS with 12,000 miles on it. It Has a new rear tire, Voodoo exhaust and K&N air filter. Is there anything on the RSS I should make sure to check out before I purchase it. Any advise would be great

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default Good choice...

2012 was a good year and the last with the 106 hp twin. (They whittled it down to a 100 hp) I have the 2012 RS sm5 and love it with no problems for 40,000+ miles. You can run the vin number by a dealer and see if it is up-to-date on everything, they can also hook it up to BUDS for error codes stored and pervious ryding. Test Ryde it or have a fellow spyder Ryder test it. Good luck
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I'd go even further than Chupaca and say that the 2012 was the best year. The RS's are generally very reliable so there's no show stopper issues that I can think of. The two minor things to check for are:

Cracking on the rear fender struts is common on the 2008 - 2012 GS/RS's. When they start cracking, normally up near where they meet the fender, the cracks spread quickly. The struts are easy to weld back up and can be strengthened at the same time to stop it happening again. Each year BRP made changes (e.g. an extra triangular bracket) and so by 2012 the problem had been reduced but can still happen. The 2013 onwards models have a different rear fender.

The adjusters on the front suspension are made out of quite soft metal. Your supposed to jack the front end up before adjusting but some people don't and then damage them. Worth checking they look fine. Its normally the 'steps' in the adjuster that get damaged.

Occasionally there are problems with the front sprocket (pulley) wearing and becoming loose. I believe the sign for that is a red dust on the sprocket.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 RSS SE5. 35000 miles. Purchased with 17000 miles. Only issue: paddle shifter went bad. Easy replacement, but pricey.

Fox suspension and new sway bar in front.
    New shock assembly in rear
    Taller windscreen.
    Grip heaters

As soon as the mud dries and I can get it out of the backyard, it'll be "on the road again".

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a 2012 RSS SE5. As others have said, they are pretty much good bikes. But, I did have an issue with mine that got to be a little expensive. After purchasing it with around 16k miles, and driving it for 2 months, it would not downshift until it had warmed up for 10-15 minutes. Found out it was the shift cylinoid in the transmission. It cost about $800 to replace, but that was my only issue. I did notice that it was quite a bit hotter than my 2014 RT or my 2016 F3T. But I would not shy away from purchasing another. Happy shopping.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I also have a 2012 RSS SE5.I have put 4000 km on it since I bought it. SAme problem as most 2012 shifter paddle had to be replaced before I could pick it up. Other than that the only problem was when I went to change the oil ,someone had put a heli coil in the bolt hole on the transmission filter and it came out with the bolt when I went to change it . So I put a new heli coil and installed it properly, No other problems .
    I also run Amsoil full synthetic Oil.
    30 years Over the road truck driver. Now the better half wants to do all the provinces on the Spyder. Maybe when it grows up to a Newer one.
    Copied from a post in Mean People.
    When told "that ain't a motorcycle," I reply, "You're right - it's actually a snowmobile and I ordered the optional tires so I can ride it year round." Shuts 'em up every time!

2012 RSS-SE5
    Avon HD Grips.
    K&N oil transmission and Air filters
    Ultimate Seat With both backrests .Black with Ostrich Red Stripe
    2012 RS S SE5 , Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

3/2018

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Oops my bad
    30 years Over the road truck driver. Now the better half wants to do all the provinces on the Spyder. Maybe when it grows up to a Newer one.
    Copied from a post in Mean People.
    When told "that ain't a motorcycle," I reply, "You're right - it's actually a snowmobile and I ordered the optional tires so I can ride it year round." Shuts 'em up every time!

2012 RSS-SE5
    Avon HD Grips.
    K&N oil transmission and Air filters
    Ultimate Seat With both backrests .Black with Ostrich Red Stripe
    2012 RS S SE5 , Grey and Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Oops my bad
    It happens to all of us. Been there and done that.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hi there. Sorry to hijack the thread but where did you get your taller windshield please?
    I bought a 2011 RS with 15k miles on it a few months ago and love it...except the windshield needs to be a couple inches taller so the wind doesn't buffet the the crap out of my helmet. Thanks in advance!
    2011 Spyder RS SE5 Magnesium
    Past Bikes: '89 Suzuki SP200; 2003 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2003 Triumph Speed Triple