Spyder Garage

Default Bad battery...what brand is recommended?

So I have an 11-month old 2016 Spyder F3T with a bad battery. The dealer will pay for a new battery but I pay about $100 for labor and the dealer trip is 170 miles. So, I'm going to buy and change it myself. What brand(s) are yielding the best results?
    Thanks!
    2016 F3T Limited
    F4 Windshield, LaMonster backrest, headlights, foglights with rings, Long Horn mirror lights, saddle bag and fender lights, swaybar, cat bypass, Centrtonics balancers, Fobo, Baker hand and lower wings, laser alignment, Dual power plate,Givi E47 center bag, Sensa 20s, Pitbull highway riding pegs, Tricled highway lights, empty bank account

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Honestly: I'd still stick with Yuasa...
    But I've never had trouble with ANY of them!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....🤔

Would be nice to know why the OEM battery is said to be bad... YUASA is the best battery for our spyders and I would replace it with the same one. You can find good deals online etc and save.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

It’s a YUASA. I’ve only had one and it’s bad, dunno.
    2016 F3T Limited
    F4 Windshield, LaMonster backrest, headlights, foglights with rings, Long Horn mirror lights, saddle bag and fender lights, swaybar, cat bypass, Centrtonics balancers, Fobo, Baker hand and lower wings, laser alignment, Dual power plate,Givi E47 center bag, Sensa 20s, Pitbull highway riding pegs, Tricled highway lights, empty bank account

Spyder Garage

Three different bikes and three Yuasa batteries suddenly went bad. We couldn’t even jump start them. This has been over the past 25 years though, the most recent one was last summer and it was replaced by the dealer on my wife’s 2015 RTL.
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

I have used Batteries +(plus) in several different bikes with no problems, in fact there was one in my 2012 RT-s when I traded it in.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

Default Battery

Batteries plus for the least expensive
    OEM mid grade
    lithium ion for the lightest, most powerful battery. Shorai or Mirai are the two I have used. A bit more expensive, but fantastic!
    Last edited by cptjam; 03-27-2018 at 05:15 PM.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

One thing to be aware of is that Spyders use Gel batteries (at least my RS does)

If these get really flat then a lot of battery chargers will not charge them which can give the impression they are duff. You need to make sure you're using a Gel compatible charger.

If you haven't got a Gel compatible charger a makeshift alternative is to connect a good battery (doesn't have to be a gel one) and connect it in parallel with jump leads i.e. - to -, + to +. Then attach the charger to the good battery. If the gel battery is good but flat this should get it charging again. The only problem with this approach is that it bypasses the normal safeties on the battery charger so if the gel battery gets hot* or starts hissing then stop.

* It will get warm during charging, hot is the problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    One thing to be aware of is that Spyders use Gel batteries (at least my RS does)

If these get really flat then a lot of battery chargers will not charge them which can give the impression they are duff. You need to make sure you're using a Gel compatible charger.

If you haven't got a Gel compatible charger a makeshift alternative is to connect a good battery (doesn't have to be a gel one) and connect it in parallel with jump leads i.e. - to -, + to +. Then attach the charger to the good battery. If the gel battery is good but flat this should get it charging again. The only problem with this approach is that it bypasses the normal safeties on the battery charger so if the gel battery gets hot* or starts hissing then stop.

* It will get warm during charging, hot is the problem.
    The OE Yuasa battery is not a Gel battery. Although that is a commonly repeated mistake. It is an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery. The electrolyte is a liquid the same as a standard wet cell battery. It is not a Gel. Standard good quality charger is fine. Chargers with a AGM mode just charge a little faster because AGM batteries can take higher heat without damage. Gel battery are commonly used in electric wheelchairs and mobility scooters.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quick question please: I thought I heard my dealer tell me the battery was a YPX24HL...could that have been a YTX24HL? (I have the bike parked off-site for the winter).
    Thanks!
    2016 F3T Limited

Spyder Garage

Hi Neal,

Re: Quick question please:

Look here: http://www.yuasabatteries.com/vehicl...on=showListing

Jerry Baumchen

PS) From my personal experience, Batterys+Bulbs is about 50% more than I could find on-line.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nealperkins View Post
    Quick question please: I thought I heard my dealer tell me the battery was a YPX24HL...could that have been a YTX24HL? (I have the bike parked off-site for the winter).
    Thanks!
    YTX24HL is what you want. If you order it online you'll probably have to get a bottle fill package, -BS on the part number. Be sure to put the acid in and let it soak for a day or two BEFORE you connect a charger to it. If the dealer didn't prep your battery properly that may be why it's gone kaput!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nealperkins View Post
    So I have an 11-month old 2016 Spyder F3T with a bad battery. The dealer will pay for a new battery but I pay about $100 for labor and the dealer trip is 170 miles. So, I'm going to buy and change it myself. What brand(s) are yielding the best results?
    Thanks!
    Did you have a battery tender on it over the Winter storage months ?? Once any bike/car battery is completely drained--it will fail again--usually within a month or two. YUSA is a good brand but every mfg has an occasional flaw/
    Good Luck,
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    Did you have a battery tender on it over the Winter storage months ?? Once any bike/car battery is completely drained--it will fail again--usually within a month or two. YUSA is a good brand but every mfg has an occasional flaw/
    Good Luck,
    Darrell
    Yes always on a tender and showing green. Now it won’t take a charge.

Guys, thanks for the help.
    2016 F3T Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The OE Yuasa battery is not a Gel battery. Although that is a commonly repeated mistake. It is an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery. The electrolyte is a liquid the same as a standard wet cell battery. It is not a Gel. Standard good quality charger is fine. Chargers with a AGM mode just charge a little faster because AGM batteries can take higher heat without damage. Gel battery are commonly used in electric wheelchairs and mobility scooters.
    Yep your right, just checked mine and its a MotoBatt AGM battery not gel as I thought. I did have to use that trick I mentioned to charge it when I accidently left the ignition on. But my charger is old and basic e.g. the only 'setting' it has is a switch for 6V or 12V:-)

Spyder Garage

I ordered the Interstate one. I'd kick myself if I ordered another Yuasa and it turned out badly as well.

Is there a 'trick of the trade' to change the battery and maintain the Sypder's settings?

Thanks for all the help guys!
    2016 F3T Limited

Spyder Garage

I put a Stinger in my 2014 RTS
    2014 RTS , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

100 bucks for labor to put in a battery.

I just have then give you the battery and do it yourself.

Spyder Garage

Oh, don't worry, I tried that. They said I had to bring the bike in...trailering it? for 170 miles and they had to remove it and then CanAm would 'give' me a free battery...plus the one hour of labor. CanAm is not real strong on warranty work (understatement). I spent a lot of money on diagnosing and repairing my very rough ride...I try not to think about that one.
    2016 F3T Limited