Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Waiting to Hear Back

I sent the following to BRP this morning, hopefully, my questions will be answered
    I have been getting conflicting information concerning tires for my 2015 RT Ltd.. The dealer that I have been using for service and parts has told me that they were informed at the 10 year anniversary celebration that they could lose their franchise if they install aftermarket "car" tires on my Spyder. I have read in forums that there are dealers that will install tires other than the Kenda tires on Spyders that are brought to them and they were told at the anniversary celebration that they could install aftermarket tires on Spyders. So, my questions to you are these: what is the OFFICIAL position on mounting aftermarket/car tires on Spyders? Why is this your position? And I ask this because any tire that can be used on cars HAS to meet Department of Transportation requirements on construction, etc.. The wheels that are used on Spyders are "J" wheels, meaning that the construction of these wheels allows for car tires to be mounted, NOT motorcycle tires.
    I am asking for clarification on these issues because I am nearing the end of my factory warranty and am considering a B.E.S.T. extended warranty and I want to be sure that using a better quality tire on my vehicle for my peace of mind and safety will not void that extended warranty. Also, would my dealer be risking his franchise by putting aftermarket/car tires on my vehicle?

Surprisingly, I did receive a reply to my email. Not unsurprisingly, it was jibberish and did not answer ANY of my questions. Here it is:

Good day Mr. Rizzo,

Thank you for taking the time to contact BRP.

We only recommend using our authorized parts and accessories.

Should you have any other questions or comments, do nothesitate to reach us by replying to this email or call us at T + 888.272.9222.

Once again, thank you for contacting BRP.
    Jay
    Customer Service Representative

ref:_00D301Fh2R._5000c1WxgNW:ref

I will definitely be replying. If this stooge cannot answer my questions, I will pursue it up to his supervisor. Will keep you posted.

Last edited by SpyderConvert; 03-28-2018 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Update
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The old excuse was that the bead of a car tire was square and the Spyder rim was round, so there would be a chance of it "blowing out". I have never heard of that happening and I think it is an excuse to make us run Kendra tires. If what your dealer is saying is true, the other ones must move enough units for them to look the other away.
    We personally have run car tires, front and back on both the RS and the Daytona with no problems. The rear tire on the RT has over 40,000 miles on it, so I doubt that it will "pop" anytime soon.
    Good Luck!

Spyder Garage

Question

I called BRP help , and they said, if tire meets or exceed specifications, it does not void warranty. When I email BRP, the response was contact your dealer. I am running Federals on front and a General on rear, with no issues.

Spyder Garage

Yeppers, here's another one and away we go! Have them send it in writing and then post it. Everyone has different opinions you talk to including BRP employee's. Posting "what someone" said and starting a rumor brings all the Ground Hogs out early on here. Get it in writing and who wrote it will be much more believable.

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 03-27-2018 at 09:32 AM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

Even if you did run a tire they feel is unacceptable the only part of the warranty they can refute is something related to the tire. So any tire failure they will not cover(go to the tire manufacturer) anything steering related (not normal wear and tear) vibrations or tire wear, bearing failure etc. they could claim it is he tires fault and not cover it. We have not seen any issue they claim happen to the many spyders out there running car tires. After Mike's (BLUEKNIGHT911) investigation cleared up the rim design will support car tires it should be pretty clear you should have no issues. Will they admit it.... good luck
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But are you using synthetic oil in your tires?
    And what kind of helmet do you wear; when pumping them up to whatever pressure you use?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderConvert View Post
    I sent the following to BRP this morning, hopefully, my questions will be answered
    I have been getting conflicting information concerning tires for my 2015 RT Ltd.. The dealer that I have been using for service and parts has told me that they were informed at the 10 year anniversary celebration that they could lose their franchise if they install aftermarket "car" tires on my Spyder. I have read in forums that there are dealers that will install tires other than the Kenda tires on Spyders that are brought to them and they were told at the anniversary celebration that they could install aftermarket tires on Spyders. So, my questions to you are these: what is the OFFICIAL position on mounting aftermarket/car tires on Spyders? Why is this your position? And I ask this because any tire that can be used on cars HAS to meet Department of Transportation requirements on construction, etc.. The wheels that are used on Spyders are "J" wheels, meaning that the construction of these wheels allows for car tires to be mounted, NOT motorcycle tires.
    I am asking for clarification on these issues because I am nearing the end of my factory warranty and am considering a B.E.S.T. extended warranty and I want to be sure that using a better quality tire on my vehicle for my peace of mind and safety will not void that extended warranty. Also, would my dealer be risking his franchise by putting aftermarket/car tires on my vehicle?

That is a very well crafted e-mail. Several little hiden parts. You should have been a lawyer. You can bet that BRP is running it by their lawyers, right now. Good luck, and please let us know their response.
    Roger
    2014 ST-L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll bet you a nickel and a half, that if you get an answer: it won't be "definitive"...

But I hope that I'm wrong!

Spyder Garage

Default what's a nickle and a half ????

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'll bet you a nickel and a half, that if you get an answer: it won't be "definitive"...

Anyway.....................I bet they won't even respond in writing
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Seven and a half cents: of course!

Spyder Garage

Like Jack said: Yeppers!

Good luck on this one. Enough legal stuff in the questions to make them back off and hide.

If--you get an answer in writing--it is going to be very bland. I would say--do what you want with tires. Its your money, its your business. Others have given the ways and means. Dealers are full of it, when it comes to tire installs.

I am not mechanical enough to do the rear tires, and my next closest dealer is about 1500 miles. I am stuck with OEM--but also okay with them.

Sounds like you have a choice. Go for it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

BRP will dance around a direct answer.
    The "J" rim won't take motorcycle tires but the Kenda is not just a motorcycle tire.
    It is a "Special Motorcycle Tire".

My local dealer claims to have never heard of Arachnid tires and, since they are not Kenda, he will not install one. Nor will he install any car tire.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

And once again "OL Bob" has caught the Monkey by the tail. Don't suspect he will hear back at all.

Unfortunately every one is Lawyer Dodging these days and there is no square answer to anything. Only

round answers that can be never ending.

We need Harry Truman back where the Buck stops here.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

"Waiting to hear Back"

How long do you plan on living?

Jack

[/QUOTE]
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Fargo movie scene

Reminds me of the scene in the Movie Fargo where the customer ask the sales person if that's his best deal. The salesman goes in back to talk to the sales manager. While there they talk about football and not the customers request at all. When the salesman returns to the customer he asked what the sales manager says. He replies, oh yes right, it's the best we can do.
    priceless lesson about real life and what's important "NOT"

Spyder Garage

You know this reminds me of other things in my life both personal and business with non issues being over looked by the higher ups. Then someone asked for the official position or otherwise calls attention to it, this then forces the inforcement of the rules/official position and ruins it for everybody and then the instigator ends up being hated by all the others because they couldn't just keep their mouths shut and leave well enough alone. I'm sure BRP has read all our discussions on tires, but noone has asked them directly fo they stayed out of it. Now who knows. I for one will do what I want and if the dealer won't install my tires somebody else will.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

The answer I have seen from BRP previously (of course I can't find it now) was that dealers are independently owned and free to do what they like. That doesn't mean that there are not BRP employees running around telling dealers to only use their products. There is a law in the US that went into effect in 1975 that allows consumers the ability to use aftermarket parts that meet or exceed the manufacturers specifications. (Moss-Magnuson Act). In other words, the manufacturer cannot deny valid warranty claims solely because the consumer used parts not supplied by the manufacturer. (For example the manufacturer cannot tell you what brand oil, filters, spark plugs, tires, brake pads, antifreeze, etc as long as you use replacements that meet or exceeds the specifications established by the manufacturer.) That's what the law says. Your dealer may say something else.......

The days of dealers requiring consumers to "service it here using our products to protect your warranty" are long gone.
    Last edited by canamjhb; 03-27-2018 at 05:31 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

And what kind of helmet do you wear; when pumping them up to whatever pressure you use?
    And what weight blinker fluid are you using?

Anonymous
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Hmmmmmmmmmmmm 1/2 cents

Seven and a half cents: of course!
    So.......if I give you 2 nickels and want my change from your "nickel and 1/2"......what kind of "spendable change" do you give me
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

I use natural methane in my tires. And I wear my WWII steel helmet when filling them. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    ..... And I wear my WWII steel helmet when filling them. Tom

Bleedin'eck Tom! I hope you decrease the cold start pressure in your skull a little when you do that!! The tougher sidewalls of that helmet won't flex enough to absorb the shock loads of any escaped methane impact & you could end up with a squeaky voice!! The more modern ballistic material lined helmets don't have that problem tho, so you can cinch them up as tight as you like without any risk of dribbling out your ears - just don't pull your parachute harness crutch straps that tight.... EVER!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Bleedin'eck Tom! I hope you decrease the cold start pressure in your skull a little when you do that!! The tougher sidewalls of that helmet won't flex enough to absorb the shock loads of any escaped methane impact & you could end up with a squeaky voice!! The more modern ballistic material lined helmets don't have that problem tho, so you can cinch them up as tight as you like without any risk of dribbling out your ears - just don't pull your parachute harness crutch straps that tight.... EVER!!

Pete I'm cheap. Didn't want to spend the $$ for the upgraded helmet. Now, if it were chromed? Hello honey, I need some more safety chrome. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    The days of dealers requiring consumers to "service it here using our products to protect your warranty" are long gone.

AND.....regardless of what some half-assed dealer might try to tell you, the wheels/rims on Spyders are made to the CAR TIRE spec.

It's been discussed extensively in a LOT of other threads.

Spyder Garage

Default Dealers

When I bought my Spyder from my local dealer in Denver they put on any tires I wanted. When I bought my last Spyder from the Dealer 100 miles away, the local dealer would no longer put on anything but the OEM tires that I must purchase from them with the same line about BRP does not allow non OEM tires. I bought the Federal EVO's, took off the wheels and took just the wheels and the new tires to Discount tire and they mounted them with no problems.
    Last edited by billythekidd; 03-29-2018 at 04:49 PM.
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..