Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone sold their Spyder and regretted it

Hi,

I know it’s an odd question to ask, because if you sold your Spyder you may not be visiting here anymore. However, you may have sold regretted and purchased another.

I’m in two minds about it, I own my Spyder, so no payments, looking for something different, wife misses two wheels, says she get board on the back of the Spyder.

Think about Indian Chieftain Limited with the Big Bore stage 3 upgrade.

i know ultimately I have to make the call, just looking for opinions.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

You may not get a response here for that! If an individual has sold their spyder, they were either ready to move on or had health issue requiring it. They probably would not be frequenting this forum.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would suggest that you just buy another Spyder for your wife, she will no longer be board on the back of yours!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Yeah....

There are those that have sold and come back others just added a two wheeler to the stable (if possible) some kept both and finally sold the two wheeler from lack of use. We have many non owners here some of those are previous owners. I would imagine those that had to sell regret it the most. Depends on how well one adjusted to the spyder and loves it. Tough choice... good luck and either way stick around..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The main thing I miss is the sissy shift transmission. My wife never got comfortable even with the RDL and arm rests. We both prefer the ride and handling on the Wing. The spider is a good machine but not the nirvana some here profess. YMMV.

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

In my humble opinion, the only reason to see a Spyder is to get a beer or diff. model. I can't imagine life w/o my Spyder ...or at least don't want to.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    The main thing I miss is the sissy shift transmission. My wife never got comfortable even with the RDL and arm rests. We both prefer the ride and handling on the Wing. The spider is a good machine but not the nirvana some here profess. YMMV.
    I would personally like to go back to a two-wheeler but bought the Spyder for the wifey so she could do something besides just sit and watch the back of my helmet. She has become very lukewarm about riding it though so it is up for sale. If I went back to two wheels it would be a sport tourer. I have had two Wings and they are very nice for making miles but I still like to whip it a little bit.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default When Honda and Yamaha.......

When Honda and Yamaha come out with their reverse tikes, I believe you're going to see a mass migration and few if any BRP owners will have regrets. BRP is not spyder customer friendly and their dealer network is sorely lacking. Once that sort of reputation gets started it's near impossible to stop. Those two issues I believe will be the spyder's undoing. BRP's main focus is on their 4X4 side by sides. I've had more than just a couple of BRP dealers in the west tell me the same thing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I did

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post
    Hi,

I know it’s an odd question to ask, because if you sold your Spyder you may not be visiting here anymore. However, you may have sold regretted and purchased another.

I’m in two minds about it, I own my Spyder, so no payments, looking for something different, wife misses two wheels, says she get board on the back of the Spyder.

Think about Indian Chieftain Limited with the Big Bore stage 3 upgrade.

i know ultimately I have to make the call, just looking for opinions.

harry
    I started with a RS, and then got a RT. I sold the RT because I needed the extra cash to put my daughter thru school. Hardest three years until I got my F3T. Only experience on a two wheeler was six months until wife made me sell it after the accident, but she will ryde with me on the Spyder.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    There are those that have sold and come back others just added a two wheeler to the stable (if possible) some kept both and finally sold the two wheeler from lack of use. We have many non owners here some of those are previous owners. I would imagine those that had to sell regret it the most. Depends on how well one adjusted to the spyder and loves it. Tough choice... good luck and either way stick around..
    I've been a member of many forums since the dial-up days, and one of the surprises has been the number of non-Spyder owners or riders who are regular contributors to this forum. They may have moved on or back to 2 wheels, or had health reasons for no longer having a Spyder, but many are checking in and sharing from their experience with Spyders. It all adds to the body of knowledge, and possibly partially answers this threads original question in a way. If they didn't have a twinge of regret they wouldn't still be here would they?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've traded two of my Spyders in...

As much as I've loved the newer bikes: I've ALWAYS missed the old ones also!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I sold my 09 RS a few weeks ago, I am ok with it

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I tend to go back and forward a lot. My introduction to the spyder world was on a RT. Then I missed 2 wheels and decided to add another bike, this one.IMG_20160708_135149608_HDR.jpg
    After about 6 months, I decided I wanted another, sportier spyder, so I sold the M109 and picked up a 2012 RSS00u0u_6YvpJHxlmz5_1200x900.jpg
    Having a spyder for touring, and a lighter, quicker spyder for the long haul was nice, but I decided to switch things up and get one spyder that would fit both bills, therefore, I bought a 2016 F3TIMG_20170506_122420591.jpg
    After another 6 months, and attending the M109 meet last June, I got the itch for another M109. So I picked up this 2013 in NovemberIMG_20180316_100846517.jpg
    Now I have the spyder that I want, and the 2 wheeler that I wanted. But who knows what tomorrow will hold. I still have a thing for the RSS, and I rode with a lady 2 weeks ago with a turbo on one. I was impressed to say the least.
    In other words, stay tuned.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Have had at least one Spyder in the stable since 2008. No "no spyder" situation yet.

I started with a two wheeler and added a . Traded the two wheeler to purchase a new 2009 SE for the spouse. When we parted company, she took the 2009 and I purchased another two wheeler.

Hip issues came up and I traded the two wheeler to get a new 2011 Spyder for Linda.

I re-added a two wheeler last summer. Now I have two Spyders and a two wheeler.

I have mostly had two in the stable since 2008. Linda will not ride anything but the Spyder. We plan on having all three shipped to AR eventually.

The information about "other" trikes by either Yamaha or Honda is pretty much spot on--IMO. I for one am hanging tight on my 2014 and 2011. No incentive to "move up" at the moment. I would definitely go have a look at any new offerings.

That plus $30K price tag is a deterrent IMO for future Spyders.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-26-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Well, yes and no. I had an F3. It was a lemon that cost 10K to fix. So I dumped it.
    2019 Rally , Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

11200581_889947637742267_684285562055761725_n.jpgHaven't sold the Spyder, but I sure do miss the Harley Road King Classic in(Pacific Blue Pearl) I had.
    Last edited by quasi; 03-26-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    Well, yes and no. I had an F3. It was a lemon that cost 10K to fix. So I dumped it.
    RH, Have you replaced that lemon F3? Are you still on SL because you plan too?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Probably a better question is anyone here missing their 2 wheeler? I loved my Yamaha Tour Deluxe and only traded it in because My wife hurt her shoulder and I thought the Spyder riding 2 up was the answer. Well Riding 2 up did not work out and I had my questions at first but now do not miss the Bike at all. My wife still rides a Harley and just got a Road King we can both ride. I take it out every now and then but still prefer the F3.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Never owned a street bike. My brothers have had Harleys for forty plus years but I honestly never trusted myself on two wheels after some bad spills on trail bikes as a kid.

Enter Can-am Spyder. Bought an 11 RT and it totally changed my life. Ran into some financial trouble and sold it in 2014. Less than eighteen miserable months later I found a low mileage 08 GS in mint condition and just had to have it. And no offense to all you RT guys but I find the GS even more of a blast than the RT. 300 lbs lighter. Quicker. Better cornering. Can't imagine life without it.

So yes. I've sold a Spyder and become Spyderless. But hopefully never again. Love my GS. Absolutely love it.
    Bill H.

Spyder Garage

Default Me too..

Quote Originally Posted by bhfromme View Post
    Never owned a street bike. My brothers have had Harleys for forty plus years but I honestly never trusted myself on two wheels after some bad spills on trail bikes as a kid.

Enter Can-am Spyder. Bought an 11 RT and it totally changed my life. Ran into some financial trouble and sold it in 2014. Less than eighteen miserable months later I found a low mileage 08 GS in mint condition and just had to have it. And no offense to all you RT guys but I find the GS even more of a blast than the RT. 300 lbs lighter. Quicker. Better cornering. Can't imagine life without it.

So yes. I've sold a Spyder and become Spyderless. But hopefully never again. Love my GS. Absolutely love it.
    Started with a 2013 ST-S, really liked the zippiness. Traded it in for a 2016 RT-S (nice comfy Cadillac feel). Wife got her license, so picked up a 2008 GS that needed cosmetic work. Put on a used HMF exhaust from EBay (she likes her VROOM!), Seal Floorboards (she hates pegs), and she is a happy camper. I find myself driving her bike more often than the RTS just like you said - The GS/RSS are a blast! Too easy to do burnouts, really hugs the road, and the VTwin sounds awesome with the HMF muffler!

We started with the big tour bikes like most everyone else, then a couple back surgeries later I didn't feel safe when stopped. Three wheels fixed that quick. EVeryone appreciates the big tour bikes, but I met a lot of people asking about the Spyder. It definitely is conversation starter!

Spyder Garage

In the process of trying to sell mine and I regret it already.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Probably a better question is anyone here missing their 2 wheeler? I loved my Yamaha Tour Deluxe and only traded it in because My wife hurt her shoulder and I thought the Spyder riding 2 up was the answer. Well Riding 2 up did not work out and I had my questions at first but now do not miss the Bike at all. My wife still rides a Harley and just got a Road King we can both ride. I take it out every now and then but still prefer the F3.
    Yes. I miss my Indian Chieftain a lot. But I injured a rotator cuff and knees not so good so had to go 3 wheels. If someone comes out with a factory leaning reverse trike thats comfortable for two up i will be buying it. I do like my RTS though.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Nothing

l

n
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Spyder Garage

Default Nothing Like an Old Bike

n
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

I've enclosed a jpeg here of an older bike. I've had two of these, and as unsophisticated as they were, I'd surely take another one. They vibrated parts off, leaked oil, and easily overran the light from the headlight at night. Unlike the bikes today which can come with HID, LCD, or LED bulbs and lights.

Spyder Garage

Default she wants to up grade !

bought the 2012 after the cousin took her out on rides while on my 2 wheels would follow , 0729141909.jpg got the super itch for a bigger 2 wheeler , for getting out of the way of traffic , and keeping up with the same traffic ... IMG_20170930_130236.jpg now I did go through 4 months of " oh hell , what did I do " but getting more comfortable now , sold the little cycle , now all we need is sunshine too help that itch !