Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Tech Attacks On "Smart" Vehicles

The Spyder is a potential target:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/c...145911246.html

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you have to dig this deep into your "worry bag"; be thankful!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh for the good old pre computer in cars days...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    And how is it you think this applies to the Spyder at all? It has no wireless network interface. Accessing the computer port physically will not let you communicate with the processor without a key to unlock the ignition. So while not entirely impossible, theft via this route is not feasible. A roll back wrecker is much easier and quicker.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

If you have to dig this deep into your "worry bag"; be thankful!
    I am not worried - I think riding experience is the key. This was informational to many experienced riders and a mild warning to the not-so-experienced: If you suddenly have unexplained issues with the bike just be aware it can be hacked. It might also be taken under advisement by those dealers who are not that technically astute.

Realistically, I doubt Spyders will be affected. There are not enough of them to attract attention (unless, in the unlikely event someone has a grudge against Can-Am) and they cannot do enough damage due to their small size when compared with cars and trucks.

It is, always, smarter to be aware of what can happen and that is the spirit in which the post was entered.

I am also well aware most of the riders here have newer other vehicles which are at higher risk.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    And how is it you think this applies to the Spyder at all? It has no wireless network interface. Accessing the computer port physically will not let you communicate with the processor without a key to unlock the ignition. So while not entirely impossible, theft via this route is not feasible. A roll back wrecker is much easier and quicker.
    If you read and understood the linked article you would notice it was not warning of theft but rather the takeover of vital operational circuits by someone not actually riding the vehicle.

Spyder Garage

If you read and understood the linked article you would notice it was not warning of theft but rather the takeover of vital operational circuits by someone not actually riding the vehicle.
    You may not have got what jcthorne was trying to explain. The Spyder does not have a wireless interface. The only way to access is connect a cable to the CAN bus.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...!!!

But then none of my vehicles are that smart.... or the driver...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    You may not have got what jcthorne was trying to explain. The Spyder does not have a wireless interface. The only way to access is connect a cable to the CAN bus.
    Forgetting for a minute the spyder, if the vulnerable vehicles can be hacked from a distance wirelessly, why do you need to bring those same vehicles in for software updates/patches? The dealer should be able to do it without your vehicle, as long as they have the VIN, but they can't. I'm not convinced the spyder electronics can't be hacked. However, I won't lose any sleep over it.
    Last edited by wyliec; 03-25-2018 at 06:41 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The 2018 does. BRP Connect.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's the 2018 models only... If anyone tries to "hijack" mine: I bet that their driving is better than my riding!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Forgetting for a minute the spyder, if the vulnerable vehicles can be hacked from a distance wirelessly, why do you need to bring those same vehicles in for software updates/patches? The dealer should be able to do it without your vehicle, as long as they have the VIN, but they can't. I'm not convinced the spyder electronics can't be hacked. However, I won't lose any sleep over it.
    I have read somewhere that Tesla cars can be updated remotely. Not sure if that is true or not. Updating a vehicle remotely brings up a lot of possible issues. Do you want your vehicles software update while your driving. Sounds unsafe to me. What about if you are working on it at the time? Disconnect the battery during update and brick the ECM. Making the vehicle undriveable. Great customer experience there. The best reason for making you come in for an update. It's a lot easier and safer to design a system that requires a physical connection to update.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The 2018 does. BRP Connect.
    Good point. The 2018's are the first Spyders to get a 2 way, wireless digital connection. Without knowing exactly how the BT integrates into the Infotainment system. There no way I can know for sure if there is any risk. But my gut feeling there is little to none. In the example article posted. It was not stated but I read in another article some time ago that access was gained to the Jeep through the cellular connection. That gave access to the deeper functions like remote start and door locks. There they found a flaw in the firewall and got even deeper into the system. That's how they got access to the brake and steering systems. Now that was fixed very quickly by FCA with a software update. That put all the manufacturer's on notice and they looked at their vehicles. I don't think I heard of anyone else getting getting hacked since.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

And again, how is it you think this applies to a Spyder? There is no means to communicate with the processor other than by physical connection to the diagnostics port in the frunk. How is it you feel the bike can be hacked and manipulated remotely?

This concern does not apply to Spyders.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If it was Sunday, I would say this is an April Fools Day prank. What nonsense!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

And again, how is it you think this applies to a Spyder? There is no means to communicate with the processor other than by physical connection to the diagnostics port in the frunk. How is it you feel the bike can be hacked and manipulated remotely?

This concern does not apply to Spyders.
    I don't know the specifics of hacking into a "smart" vehicle but would assume that messing with a sensor could initiate undesirable things to happen and communication with the processor is not required. I know enough about computers to know it isn't that difficult to mess with them.

As I said in my original post by using the word 'POTENTIAL'. I didn't write the damn article but thought it might be of interest to owners of vehicles that did have that POTENTIAL.

And, if you actually read the article, it did not say anyone was currently at risk. It said manufacturers are not fully prepared for an intrusion to take place.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Potential"...

There is always the potential of your Spyder being hacked...

It falls somewhere between the potential of you marrying a Supermodel
    and...
    The potential risk of getting struck by lightning: right after picking the winning PowerBall numbers!

Spyder Garage

Would it be possible to hack his aggression switch

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

I don't know...

There is no 'potential' for the Spyder. You cannot mess with a sensor remotely without communication with the processor. You are speaking nonsense.

The sky is not falling, the article does not apply to Spyders (at least 2017 and older) and its not April fools day. Please do not attempt fear mongering when there is non related to this.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

JC,
    Let him worry... It makes him happy!
    We know better.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

...the article does not apply to Spyders (at least 2017 and older)
    Comforting.....