Thread: Frunk light

Spyder Garage

Default Frunk light

I feel kind of dumb here, but how do you get the light turned on in the frunk. I have seen others with them on there bikes, I did not think I had one

until I checked further and to my surprise there is one. I have no idea how to turn it on/off. Thanks

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rookiespyder View Post
    I feel kind of dumb here, but how do you get the light turned on in the frunk. I have seen others with them on there bikes, I did not think I had one

until I checked further and to my surprise there is one. I have no idea how to turn it on/off. Thanks

Turn the key on.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Only works when it's dark out..........

I can only see mine when it gets dark out. It's useless during the day. The bigger question is, does it go out when you close the frunk lid?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I can only see mine when it gets dark out. It's useless during the day. The bigger question is, does it go out when you close the frunk lid?
    Is there a small child willing to test it?

Mary

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's run by the kid brother of the little guy who turns on the light in your refrigerator!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is a switch by the latch that opens and closes when you open the hood.

The BRP Frunk light sucks.

I ran a LED strip so I can see in the frunk. And I have it turn on with the switch.

Spyder Garage

Yes to the switch. Also, the key must be on.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Has anyone intercepted that wiring, added a top of the rear edge of the frunk led strip or something type light? I remember someone putting a alternate light along the back wall of the frunk that lit it up much better.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Has anyone intercepted that wiring, added a top of the rear edge of the frunk led strip or something type light? I remember someone putting a alternate light along the back wall of the frunk that lit it up much better.
    Trikermutha mentioned something along those lines.
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    US Navy Veteran

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    Trikermutha mentioned something along those lines.
    Yes I have and works well.

I plugged it into the existing Frunk light plug and ran a set of red LED light strip and stuck it to the liner in the frunk. Been on there since almost new. So lets say almost 4 years?

So I open the frunk and the light turns on but of coarse you have to have your key turned on too

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Turn the key on.

Cruzr Joe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Yes I have and works well.
    I plugged it into the existing Frunk light plug and ran a set of red LED light strip and stuck it to the liner in the frunk. Been on there since almost new. So lets say almost 4 years?
    So I open the frunk and the light turns on but of coarse you have to have your key turned on too
    So you used the existing frunk light socket on the front wall of the frunk and routed the wires back to the back edge for the strips, I'm trying to visualize the wiring run.
    Or did you connect directly from the switch? Do you have any pics of the install?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You mean like this?
    Frunk LED strip 2.jpg

Silicone encased side emitting LED strip from SuperbrightLEDs.com. Glued to the inside of the strip at the top with some sort of super duper glue that will adhere to silicone. Connected into the wire that goes to the frunk LED.

I had a couple of LED lights on the back of the frunk in my 2013 RT but this is much better.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So you used the existing frunk light socket on the front wall of the frunk and routed the wires back to the back edge for the strips, I'm trying to visualize the wiring run.
    Or did you connect directly from the switch? Do you have any pics of the install?

I split the existing socket then ran the wires to the frunk removed the 3 m tape and stuck it to the liner back wall.

I will try and get pics later today. I got the bike apart anyway so it will be a good time for pics..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    You mean like this?
    Frunk LED strip 2.jpg

Silicone encased side emitting LED strip from SuperbrightLEDs.com. Glued to the inside of the strip at the top with some sort of super duper glue that will adhere to silicone. Connected into the wire that goes to the frunk LED.

I had a couple of LED lights on the back of the frunk in my 2013 RT but this is much better.
    That is the best lit frunk I've seen yet. Kudos
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

1998 Honda Valkyrie
    US Navy Veteran

Spyder Garage

Default Bummed - Discontinued can't find them elsewhere

IdahoMtnSpyder is the lucky man! contacted SuperbrightLEDs.com for those Silicone encased side emitting LED strips and they're DISCONTINUED,,,, argh, they don't carry any more side emitting LED strips at all.

Would just standard Silicone encased LED strips still work for this? I'm assuming the clear silicone tube they're in would disperse some light down into the frunk.

That really seemed like the BEST solution, but I've been searching and just finding side emitting LED strips let alone waterproof ones is daunting. Found many intended for indoor/weather protected applications (no clear tubing protection).
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

IdahoMtnSpyder is the lucky man! contacted SuperbrightLEDs.com for those Silicone encased side emitting LED strips and they're DISCONTINUED,,,, argh, they don't carry any more side emitting LED strips at all.

Would just standard Silicone encased LED strips still work for this? I'm assuming the clear silicone tube they're in would disperse some light down into the frunk.

That really seemed like the BEST solution, but I've been searching and just finding side emitting LED strips let alone waterproof ones is daunting. Found many intended for indoor/weather protected applications (no clear tubing protection).
    These are the ones I used. Are these the ones that are discontinued? They're still on the website!

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...-led-335/1542/

I just added a couple of the 30 cm cool whites to my cart. They don't have the 60 cm I used but you can use two 30 cm. Be sure to get the adhesion promoter.

IIRC, I got the encased ones not so much for the weatherproof aspect but for the physical protection aspect.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I still like my super brite led flashlite I keep in my trunk its a lot brighter than the frunk lite is.

Spyder Garage

Wow!, I sent them a pre-purchasing question and this was their response
    2018-03-27 16:25:55
    Hello David Goebel,
    Thank you for your interest in our products.
    No all are strips are not side emitting weatherproof, we do not have anymore weatherproof side emitting strips, since that one has been discontinued.Thank you,
    Dale J
    Super Bright LEDs Inc
    866-590-3533
    sbl-support@superbrightleds.com
    http://www.superbrightleds.com

I'll order the ones you referenced today.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020