Spyder Garage

Default Unstable ride feeling and 180 degree turn today

I posted this in the ST forum but wanted to share in the general discussion. Thanks to all who have helped me over the past week. I finally had time today to spend some time messing with the new ride. My disclaimer is that I am not professional and do not claim to be. I like to tinker with things. My work on the Spyder will be followed up by a qualified mechanic, but I wanted to share the following. As of today, we are safe enough to ride until I can get to someone to do a professional laser alignment. I have another thread that related several problems I was experiencing. I have had many suggestions and all were appreciated. I have been a little apprehensive about riding the Spyder because something was just not right. At times, it was scary. I did a lot of research and took a lot of advise. 90% of the problems are gone. I say 90% because I know what I did is not 100 % accurate but the bike is completely different.

1. After searching the web in hopes of finding someone close to do a laser alignment, I stumbled on a couple of articles and a couple of videos that outlined a home laser alignment. (I did find a couple shops several hours away and one a couple hours away). I thought that I would at least take some measurements to see if I was out of alignment since I was going to have to travel some distance on a Spyder that I was not comfortable on to get the alignment. I set the bike up and started taking measurements by a laser that I had here at the house. My measurements indicated that my alignment was considerably out of whack. I decided that I could only improve the alignment and moved forward with a process that looked to be pretty straight forward. I took measurements and was able to get the alignment fairly close and by measurements, both sides of the Spyder are toed in 1/8 inch. This measurement was an improvement from 3/4” toed in on one side and nearly 1” out of alignment on the other.

2. Last week I bought this Spyder from Freedom Powersports in Lewisville Texas. They gave me the spill that the bike had been through a rigorous 21 (or how ever many) point check. Before I left they told me to make sure my pressure was between 15-18 pounds of pressure and I don’t remember the rear. I think they told me 24-26 lbs. I rode home on this bike not knowing what it was supposed to feel like. I assumed since I got the long speech about tire pressure that they had checked my tire pressure in the “32 point super check”. I decided that I would check the pressure today since I have had it a week. The front tires were 32 lbs and 29 lbs respectively. The rear tire was also at 32 lbs. I dropped the pressure in both front tires to 17 lbs and the rear to 24.

I did call Freedom Powersports and told them something was not right. The only help I got was to bring it in and I could pay for an alignment. They do not do laser alignments. I explained that I was not coming to their shop and pay for an alignment when they assured me everything on the bike was to specs. Needless to say I was perturbed. Now on the other hand, they went to great lengths to make sure I left on this bike and I was pleased with the deal.

I tighten everything up and decided to test ride it down the street at slow speeds in case I did some thing wrong. The bike handled completely different from the moment I released the clutch. Highway slow speeds soon turned into 55 and then to 70 and before I knew it I was at 80 mph’s. The bike is completely different and I am amazed and thrilled.

I know my alignment does not take the place of a professional and will make plans soon to have it professionally done. At least I enjoy riding the thing now. WOW.

I spent the rest of the day installing the Givi rear trunk. The Lamonster ram mount with 2 USB ports and cigarette lighter port. I also added a rocker switch with two additional USB ports.

Then a long enjoyable Spyder Ryde..

Thanks for all the help.
    Last edited by Mahaflac; 03-24-2018 at 09:21 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So, what's with the 180 degree turn? I don't see it in your narrative.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mahaflac View Post
    I know my alignment does not take the place of a professional and will make plans soon to have it professionally done. At least I enjoy riding the thing now. WOW.
    Please let us know the outcome AFTER your professional alignment is done.

Reports like this keep me hoping that there IS a solution.....for most owners.

But like your post hinted at, I'm kind of pissed that the machine apparently wasn't really set up right from the beginning.

I'll be taking mine in for service and alignment in a week and should have it back in another week.
    I am cautiously optimistic.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    So, what's with the 180 degree turn? I don't see it in your narrative.
    The 180 degree turn is from a previous post about the problems I was having. I was almost scared to get on the Spyder. The 180 degree turn is symbolic of the complete change that has occurred with the adjustments of the Spyder.

I was apprehensive (180 degrees) Loved riding it today.
    very twitchy handling (180 degrees) very smooth tracking today.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Can’t wait to see how close you got it on your own.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default One more time

I bought a nicer laser today so I am going to take one more stab at it before taking it in and having it done.

Spyder Garage

I bought a nicer laser today so I am going to take one more stab at it before taking it in and having it done.
    Contact Joe&Ann http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...Away-Alignment try set appointment at spyders on the bayou come on over & Enjoy

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like you did not do a good test ride before you signed on the dotted line.

Major mistake IMHO.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Default WOWV !

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Sounds like you did not do a good test ride before you signed on the dotted line.

Major mistake IMHO.
    HAHAHHHAA you know that is what I must be doing wrong ! 0902161807.jpg have had 3 cycles over 5 years now , ( the on the left is mine , the one on the right is cousins , I drove his cycle before I purchased mine , went for about a 45 minute ride , the wife would ride on his ( 2 up ) and I would follow on the 2 wheeler in the photo , now when I went to buy my spyder ( 2012 s-m 5 ) I drove 1 1/2 hours away to get her , did not test drive it at all , they pushed her out to the front door from a side entrance , we did the deal , ( they wanted 1200 more for warranty , which we declined ) hoped on it drove all the way back through city traffic on a super slab ( interstate highway ) . so the reason I am saying this is don`t be so harsh on Mahaflac .. I bet a lot of us buy and not test drive first ( o.k. 1 or 2 of us ) and yes I did have one semi major problem , that would not have shown up in a test drive , had a worn out clutch piston o-ring , that finally gave way 1 month in to owner ship .. ( foot note the indian chieftain I just purchased -----> did not test drive ----- walked in fell in love with it , signed paper work ... ) IMG_20170930_130236.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default let me add ....

hey old timer --- I wasn`t bashing you please don`t take it that way , it is most folks know what they want , buy what they love to have ! something in the human physics : need versus want : you want some thing for happiness go get it and sometimes it wasn`t a great idea , but with time , and trail and error , you get what you wanted a fun cycle or toy in the end or it is sold .... every thing can be sold , well almost every thing

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The best of luck to you in this endeavor!

(Since I have the mechanical aptitude of a hamster: I leave the important stuff to the professionals... )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 180 degree turn is from a previous post about the problems I was having.

Misunderstandings like this is WHY one should always continue a discussion with additional information and NOT start a new thread every time something changes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Major mistake IMHO.
    No that's probably not the case at all.

I'd be willing to bet that almost EVERY rider feels funny on a Spyder the first time or two.
    If everybody made their buying decision based on first impressions.......they would sell pretty close to NONE.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I bought mine without even turning a key...
    Sometimes: you've just got to have Faith...

Spyder Garage

I'm glad things are getting better. I was pretty confident in your other thread that the alignment was a major part of the issue. I'm sure if you spend the time on your method and procedure you'll get it real close to the laser alignment. Don't forget though, if you change the handlebar alignment that you should bring it to the dealer to get the sensor reset.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice catch!

Spyder Garage

Default Mistakes

Major mistake IMHO.
    First of all, let me say that I do not feel bashed. I am a Spyder Newbie and I am attempting the process of being informed and perfecting the skills to feel as safe on a Spyder that I do on two wheels from 40 plus year of riding a motorcycle.

Old Timer, funny that you would ASSUME that I did not do a test ride this Spyder due to the fact that I have noticed some problems since the purchase. I spent a considerable amount of time before I decided on this purchase. In fact, I spent an entire day riding this machine as well others on the lot in comparison before purchasing. I arrived when they opened that morning and helped them close the doors that evening. I rode this particular machine for over an hour (mostly in town). I never make a purchase uniformed or without test riding.

Now let me address some potential mistakes that I could have made. I could have gotten on a machine that I was unfamiliar with, on a riding platform that I was unfamiliar with, and got on the interstate so I could experience how it rode at 70 (where most of my problems are). Big Mistake..... Instead, I chose to ride on some highways in a town that I was unfamiliar with at speeds that were safe enough for my experience on a Spyder. After Purchasing the bike, I decided to take backroads home where speed rarely exceeded 55 mph in order to become more familiar with an unfamiliar ride. Big Mistakes often come from stupid decisions and over estimating your abilities whether it be with large purchases or riding beyond your expertise.

I have been on two wheels since I was 8 years old. I have spent many hours perfecting (or at least attempting) my riding style and skills necessary to stay alive. I spent many hours at slow speeds doing turns and working on counter steering techniques until they become second nature. No amount of time on this bike, on this particular day, would account for the information that my brain was processing. I attributed much of the issues that I was experiencing that day to the changes in technique and how a spyder is set up. They are completely opposite on the spectrum of how they handle.

Instead, I decided to put a 1000 miles on the Spyder to become familiar with how it handles and allowing time for my brain to make the transition to a Spyder. Only after several hundred miles did I attribute some of the problems to mechanical flaws and not cognitive flaws. This is when I decided this can’t be how a Spyder is supposed to handle, otherwise their popularity would not be as strong.

For some, they have never riden a motorcycle and do not have to transition for what my brain automatically compensates for when riding a motorcycle. For those that have, you know what I am talking about.

Finally, another mistake that I could have made was making an assumption about someone I know nothing about and have never met. Big Mistake.......... Perhaps one day we can meet in passing and get to know each other and discuss these wonderful machines. Happy trails and safe riding.

IMHO
    Last edited by Mahaflac; 03-25-2018 at 05:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    No that's probably not the case at all.

I'd be willing to bet that almost EVERY rider feels funny on a Spyder the first time or two.
    If everybody made their buying decision based on first impressions.......they would sell pretty close to NONE.
    I think you're absolutely right about first impressions. I had a hard time even getting them to give me a test ride. Maybe that was why -- once I finally got them to give me a test ride, within the first three or four miles, I was totally ready to give it up. Totally twitchy, nervous feeling, didn't feel "right" AT ALL. Who the heck would want this thing? I made the U-turn to come back to the dealership and felt like I was going to fall off! OMG, I was so scared. If I'd stopped after that U-turn, I would have never bought the Spyder ... but I had to return it to the dealer first so I could tell them no, didn't I? Well, my wife was back behind me just loving it and not feeling anything like I was feeling! WTF?!? That made me remember the YouTube videos I'd seen about how the Spyder feels the first time and I realized I was feeling exactly what everyone else feels and I wasn't giving it a fair chance. I had to make a conscious effort to release my death-grip on the handlebars and voila! all of a sudden the Spyder likes me. I even took my fingers off the grips (still circling them) and it didn't even crash and burn! So I ride on a little bit farther and started thinking of the Spyder like a tiny MGB and riding it accordingly and wow, it became fun. So, within five or six miles I was okay with it ... and my wife absolutely loved it. That plus all I'd read here (oh, and spectacular discounts) allowed me to reach a deal and so I took it home. Then I watched more videos and went out to do the rides they suggest, then with some more confidence I went into a new (unoccupied) subdivision and began carving donuts. After that, a few miles on the highway with light traffic at 40-50-60-70-80 mph ... it was great. Since then -- no problems at all. Now it may be that I am the lucky one, that everything was set up properly, or it may just be my attitude that I really wanted to like the Spyder ... and it responded to me.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I bought mine without even turning a key...
    Sometimes: you've just got to have Faith...
    I did almost the same.
    Got a test ride (SE6) at the AIM Expo in Orlando 2-3 years before I bought mine.
    Went to the dealer, made a deposit, he took a week to get the bike.(SM6)
    Went back, did the paperwork and paid him the rest, drove 2 laps in his parking lot to show him I wouldn't kill myself, got into 2nd-not a huge parking lot.
    Said goodbye and rode a hundred miles home
    Last edited by ofdave; 03-25-2018 at 06:04 PM.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple