Spyder Garage

Default Researching buying Enclosed Trailer

Has anyone ever bought an enclosed trailer from USA Cargo Trailers in Douglas,GA. Don't get confussed. I am not talking US Cargo Trailers, and not talking about USA Trailers. I am talking about USA CARGO TRAILERS

I have a 2014 RTL and a 6' x 10' is just too small of an opening to get into trailer, so looks like I will be trying to find a 7' x 12' single axle that I can pull with a 2012 Chrysler Town & Country van. But these people have the cheapest price, and all the dealers here in Michigan say to stay away from ones coming out of Georgia because of all the horror stories about junk and shoddy workmanship.

So, if anyone has purchased from USA Cargo Trialers, in Douglas,GA, or someone that you know of has one, PLEASE let me know about the trailer and the experience with both trailer and company.

Also if you know someone with a trailer for sale , let me know.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Spyder Garage

Steve, I'm thinking the same thing, and would love someone's perspective who actually owns and uses one of theirs.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get yourself an Iron Horse!

https://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/

Your bike is worth it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

If it were me, I'd be a bit concerned about towing that large a trailer with a minivan with a 3500 lb tow rating. I don't know about the specific trailer you are talking about, but from looking online, a 7x12 enclosed will weigh about 13-1500 empty and then you are adding in about 1000 with the bike for a total of around 2500. That is below your tow rating, but you also have to consider that with those slab sides, the trailer will be very susceptible to cross winds. You are also towing it with a FWD vehicle, so the more weight you put on that hitch, the less you will have on the front wheels which drive and steer the van. And if you use a standard hitch instead of a weight distributing hitch, you will have quite of bit of jounce between the trailer and the tow vehicle as you go over any bumps or railroad tracks. I'd call it a tail wagging the dog scenario. At the very least I would put some air bags in the rear and look at a WD hitch.

I'm also looking to tow my spyder behind a motorhome as well as behind my car which has a 2000 lb tow rating. I picked up a 7 x 10 open aluminum trailer with a ramp in the back. It weighs in at around 600 lbs empty. And since it's open and flat, it wont be as affected by cross winds.

But feel free to do as you like, this is just my opinion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Eviltwin; 03-23-2018 at 06:48 PM.
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Cargomate

I have a 6 1/2 X 10 Cargomate I drove over and picked up from the dealer MSI in Elkhart Indiana. It weighs about 1400 lbs. for a total of 2400 lbs loaded and has a tongue weight of 234 lbs with the front wheels directly over a crossbar. I paid $2395 for it in November of 2016 and it works great, including 1000 miles down and 1000 back from Florida. I don't think you can beat the price or size, as I consider this the smallest trailer that will work. The ramp door opening is 74" making it easy to get in and out of.

MSI was great to work with and I had the trailer in a couple of weeks.

No shipping charge either.

Spyder Garage

[what are you pulling it with?

QUOTE=JFD;1346102]I have a 6 1/2 X 10 Cargomate I drove over and picked up from the dealer MSI in Elkhart Indiana. It weighs about 1400 lbs. for a total of 2400 lbs loaded and has a tongue weight of 234 lbs with the front wheels directly over a crossbar. I paid $2395 for it in November of 2016 and it works great, including 1000 miles down and 1000 back from Florida. I don't think you can beat the price or size, as I consider this the smallest trailer that will work. The ramp door opening is 74" making it easy to get in and out of.

MSI was great to work with and I had the trailer in a couple of weeks.

No shipping charge either.[/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

I talked to 4 Chrysler dealerships service departments, and everyone of them told me there should be no problem. I hope, but have no plans on upgrading to a new truck just to pull it, but you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Eviltwin View Post
    If it were me, I'd be a bit concerned about towing that large a trailer with a minivan with a 3500 lb tow rating. I don't know about the specific trailer you are talking about, but from looking online, a 7x12 enclosed will weigh about 13-1500 empty and then you are adding in about 1000 with the bike for a total of around 2500. That is below your tow rating, but you also have to consider that with those slab sides, the trailer will be very susceptible to cross winds. You are also towing it with a FWD vehicle, so the more weight you put on that hitch, the less you will have on the front wheels which drive and steer the van. And if you use a standard hitch instead of a weight distributing hitch, you will have quite of bit of jounce between the trailer and the tow vehicle as you go over any bumps or railroad tracks. I'd call it a tail wagging the dog scenario. At the very least I would put some air bags in the rear and look at a WD hitch.

I'm also looking to tow my spyder behind a motorhome as well as behind my car which has a 2000 lb tow rating. I picked up a 7 x 10 open aluminum trailer with a ramp in the back. It weighs in at around 600 lbs empty. And since it's open and flat, it wont be as affected by cross winds.

But feel free to do as you like, this is just my opinion.

Spyder Garage

Default What to look for

I replace work / hauling trailers on a regular basis. Here is what I look for'
    1. Do not get the cheap Durlon tires on a trailer. They will wear out in 2,000 miles. Upgrade to Radials including the spare. Most big dealers have new tires laying around all over.
    2. Most entry level trailers come with 3500 lb axles. Although this is no problem for weight with your Spyder, the 3500# axle is minus the trailer weight. Eventually there will be a friend or need to put more weight in the trailer and I have had 3500# axles bend with as little as 2,000 lbs of regular hauling. Most trailers can be upgrades to the next standard axle 5200#. This will cover everything the trailer can be used for down the road.
    3. Always ask the dealer which trailer he is most motivated to sell. They are paying interest on older stock. Example, I upgraded from a 7X12 to a 7X14 for less money because it was last years model and costing him money. And only 150# more weight
    4. I have towed many miles with a smaller vehicle like yours. An anti sway/ equalizer hitch is going to save your butt someday when mother nature takes control.
    https://www.reesehitches.com/product...RoCBYMQAvD_BwE
    This load equalizer hitch is the best on the market. You will be transferring several hundred pounds of tongue weight to your front end and get the rear of you vehicle up several inches. You never need this until you need it. The cost of this product vs one white knuckle episode is money well spent. This EQUALIZER Hitch WILL balance the load and YOUR mini van will have no trouble pulling a balanced load. Taking 800 lbs off the rear of your mini van and transferring that weight to the front will put you in control.
    5. Unless you trailer has brakes I have found it shortens your brake pad life by 50% or more. It's a reassuring feeling when you feel the help in braking control you get from trailer brakes.

Around my area a 7X12 trailer with radial tires, a 5200# axle, with brakes, retails for about $3,500. Good luck and hold the wheel tight because you can go from zero to trouble in just seconds when pulling a trailer. And your first response is the most critical moment to possibly save your life. There is no sicker feeling when things go wrong because a tow vehicle handles NOTHING like it does without a trailer.
    Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis in Lodi; 03-24-2018 at 08:17 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Pulling the cargomate trailer

I am pulling the trailer with a 2014 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel. However, that is because I also pull a 6000 lb 26 foot long 9 foot wide sailboat. You can pull it with your car, BUT I wouldn't go very fast. It will take you longer to get there but I wouldn't go over 55. When I pulled the boat with my Pathfinder, rated at 5000 lbs I never went over 57. As has been stated, it is not the weight but the frontal area, you are basically pulling a parachute. The killer of transmissions is heat and it is constant shifting that creates heat, hence the slower speed, which means less shifting. I never go over 60 with the RAM pulling the boat. I ALWAYS install airbags to the rear springs from AirLift corp. Inflate for levelling when you need them, deflate for a better ride when you don't. About a 100 bucks and an hour to install. I think an equalizer hitch for 2400 lbs is overkill, but you do need the airbags to make things level. https://www.airliftcompany.com/

Need more info, just ask.20170310_134734.jpg20170310_134802.jpg
    Last edited by JFD; 03-24-2018 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Added info

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    I talked to 4 Chrysler dealerships service departments, and everyone of them told me there should be no problem. I hope, but have no plans on upgrading to a new truck just to pull it, but you are correct.
    The other question I should have asked is whether you have ever towed anything over any distance. I'm by no means an expert, but have towed two different travel trailers with 3 trucks over the years. And these types of questions/scenarios come up all the time and are discussed and argued to death. Travel trailers have high sides and in many cases weigh as much as the tow vehicle or more, so they can affect the safe tracking of the whole rig as much as the car or truck itself. The sane consensus always seems to be to err on the side of safety and not run anywhere close to the limits of the tow vehicle.

As Dennis mentioned in his post, he recommends going with a WD hitch which should transfer the tongue wt off the rear wheels to the frame of the vehicle. It also keeps the trailer from swaying, that is rocking side to side when it goes over uneven roads or gets hit with gusts from the side. Electric brakes can be fitted to the trailer and that will be a big help if you ever find yourself going downhill and have to brake suddenly. So its really not just trying to find the cheapest trailer and cheapest towing equipment, but plan for the worst and hope you never have to go there.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Other towing

Steveandbelinda,
    Here's why I need the RAM: DSCF9486.jpg Now, if I can just find a way to attach the Spyder trailer to the back of the boat trailer and then somehow the 14 foot catamaran for those really windy days.....A boy can dream.

Spyder Garage

Default That equalizer is junk

I will mail that exact equalizer free to anyone who wants my used one.
    Once I found this one and how the anti sway is incorporated into the system.
    https://www.reesehitches.com/product...RoCBYMQAvD_BwE

Those bars flex and loose their strength almost immediately. I have upgraded three tow vehicles with this Husky system. It keeps it strength and works the best.

Spyder Garage

I have a 7X12 Lightning trailer by Forest River. Made in Indiana.Excellent trailer. All aluminum, electric brakes, aluminum wheels. Believe it weighs 1300 lbs.. I pull it with a 2017 Honda Ridgeline. And it pulls great. To answer some of your questions, you basically get what you pay for. The cheaper trailers from GA., are just that. CHEAP! Thinner outside material, thinner plywood inside, thinner drop down door. And longer spacing between upright support. Guessing 30" on center. You also might get a seemed roof. Whatever you choose, DO NOT BUY A TRAILER WITH OUT BRAKES! It can save your life. Get 15" radial tires and wheels also. Add extra tie downs. Another biggie, add back up lights. Get vents. Roof or side. Look for a V-nose, or round front. Any questions fire away. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Default ELECTRIC BRAKES

​Have electric brakes or surge installed on the trailer.