Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake fluid

Spyder Garage

The caps on the master cylinder on my bike each have a vent that if not properly positioned, rearward when the cap is tightened, will ooze fluid onto onto the top of the reservoir as there are slits in the diaphrams. If properly oriented when tight will allow air into the reservoir.
    Last edited by JayBros; 03-23-2018 at 09:37 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Water is no more compressible than oil (brake fluid) unless it boils into steam.

And since the brake systems are supposed to be sealed........how does that water get IN there ??
    Edit: I believe that you will find a flexible rubber diaphragm under that MS cap, which provides a seal (mostly) between the fluid and the atmosphere.

I am not trolling for a pointless argument here; that is a serious question.

We read where the ethanol in gas will draw water, brake fluid does the same and very quickly. Brake systems are not sealed if there are any rubber lines in the system. Hard to believe but the moisture will get into the system through rubber lines and seals as they age. When my Spyder gets new braked fluid this year it will also get new stainless and teflon lines installed. I buy my line and fittings to make my own on my restorations and I will do the same on my Spyder. As far as the boiling part, lots of folks think they will never ride and brake hard enough to cause this problem. You need to realize that it doesn't take much to generate enough heat to vaporize the water in the brake system and even an "easy" rider can have it happen. I am amazed at how much $$$ folks will drop on seats, windshields, and other doo dads and then can't wait to show them off, but when it comes to maintaining the systems that keep us safe and on the road they are always looking for the cheapest way out or a way to extend the service intervals. That thousand dollar seat is gonna get awful messy when you jump on the brake pedal and nothing happens.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Yes I really do. Mine was changed out late and it was really ugly. I am on 2 years now and it is again looking ugly. DOT3 and DOT4 are hygroscopic,they attract water which makes them boil at a lower temperature with corresponding loss of brake power.
    Good morning, I have a 2018 RT and the fluid is black, does it matter on what brand of dot 4 fluid I use? Xps is around 17 bucks a can...and options? Not looking for a cheap fix but anything comparable to xps ?
    Thank you
    Terry

Spyder Garage

Its absorbs water and becomes compressible When did water become compressible?

Spyder Garage

Water as a pure liquid is not compressible. Water in suspension in glycol based brake fluid is VERY compressible. It traps microscopic air bubbles as well when it wet. They do not settle out.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone57 View Post
    Good morning, I have a 2018 RT and the fluid is black, does it matter on what brand of dot 4 fluid I use? Xps is around 17 bucks a can...and options? Not looking for a cheap fix but anything comparable to xps ?
    Thank you
    Terry
    Any good name brand DOT4 fluid should be fine. We use Castrol.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Thanks, any thing I need to know ...tricks or things to check?

Spyder Garage

Are you using synthetic or regular?

Spyder Garage

All DOT4 is 'synthetic'. Just some market it that way and some do not. Boiling point is the more important number but lubrication is not. All name brand DOT4 is pretty good stuff.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default XPS Brake Fluid

I just purchased Cam Am XPS Dot 4 Brake Fluid from my Dealer (10/12/19). A 12 ounce bottle was only $10.99 + Tax.
    YES, I could have purchased a different brand, but I like to give my Dealer business so they will be around down the road.....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Just finished changing the brake fluid on my 2015 that I purchased used in June of 2018. I do not know when it last was changed. The fluid was darkened, but not black like my 2014 RT was when I changed it after 3 years.
    I was pleased to find that it was easier to do on the F3 than the RT.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue