Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake fluid

Spyder Garage

Default Brake fluid

Do you think the brake fluid really needs to be changed every 2 years like it says in the maintenance schedule?

Spyder Garage

Yes I really do. Mine was changed out late and it was really ugly. I am on 2 years now and it is again looking ugly. DOT3 and DOT4 are hygroscopic,they attract water which makes them boil at a lower temperature with corresponding loss of brake power.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Check the color of fresh DOT 4 against the fluid in the reservoir. Mine was 2 years old and it was very dark.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Mine was absolutely filthy at 3 years, to the point where it might have clogged the brake lines. I would say get it done.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Everything Paul says about DOT 3 and 4 brake fluid is correct. I doubt most Spyder riders would be pushing their bikes hard enough to experience boiling brake fluid but that water build up in the fluid can also cause problems with seals and just generally cruds up the system. Two year flushes ensure you maintain a good, clean system. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish with your investment.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I got no problem spending the money was just curious why every 2 years

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lewisalice View Post
    I got no problem spending the money was just curious why every 2 years
    It is pretty much an industry standard, my other bikes also call for 2 years
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BRAKE FLUID

I'm not even suggesting you don't change every two years , .... but this is a real life experience, my 2003 Toyt. Tacoma had the fluid changed in 2006 @ 41,567 mi. ( By the previous owner )....... It's now 3-22-18 ( 12 years later ) @ 235,000+ mi. and that fluid is still in the system ...... I have topped it off ( about once a year ) but the brakes work fine and there haven't been any leaks..... .........On another topic, many folks here report they change their wheel bearings at EVERY tire change...... yet the amount of BEARING failures reported here , well I can't remember reading about one.......... good luck ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm not even suggesting you don't change every two years , .... but this is a real life experience, my 2003 Toyt. Tacoma had the fluid changed in 2006 @ 41,567 mi. ( By the previous owner )....... It's now 3-22-18 ( 12 years later ) @ 235,000+ mi. and that fluid is still in the system ...... I have topped it off ( about once a year ) but the brakes work fine and there haven't been any leaks..... .........On another topic, many folks here report they change their wheel bearings at EVERY tire change...... yet the amount of BEARING failures reported here , well I can't remember reading about one.......... good luck ....Mike

Mike, I strongly disagree with what you are trying to say here. The 12 year old fluid in your Toyota is downright dangerous and I don't want to be on the road with you. On other topics you have been one of the most conservative safety proponents in this forum. I was quite surprised at this post.

In a Spyder, the fluid is SPENT by two years. It gets HOT and not just from the brakes, look where your master cylinder and lines run. Its absorbs water and becomes compressible. A large percentage of the 'Brake Failure' warnings on Spyders are from spent brake fluid.

If the bike gets driven much at all, at 2 yrs the fluid is DONE, at 3 yrs its doing damage. If you do the work yourself, it costs less than $10 to flush the system with fresh fluid. At a dealer its less than 1 hour labor. Its also a necessary part of a brake job.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I totaly agree with the 2 years. I did mine at three years and I put the old in a glass jar. I could not see through the jar as it was so contaminated. I now follow the two year rule.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Does anyone know how much new fluid is required to do a complete flush? (2015 RTL) Is one bottle enough? The service manual and BUDS manual do not specify quantity.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    Does anyone know how much new fluid is required to do a complete flush? (2015 RTL) Is one bottle enough? The service manual and BUDS manual do not specify quantity.

One bottle is plenty.

Part of the reason for the need for fluid change is the braking system is an open system. Meaning the master cylinder reservoir is open to the ambient air by way of a (large) vent in the cap. It is also positioned low and to the rear of the bike, which allows a lot of intrusion of moisture and dust kicked up from the rear tire. The F3 is completely different.

At the very least, you need to get a suction device of some sort and remove the old fluid from the master cylinder reservoir and replace it with new fresh fluid. Being careful to not take the fluid too low and expose the intake port to air. The reservoir is the source of the contamination. The fluid in the lines is relatively unaffected. I'm not recommending this per se, but it is an option.

DOT3 absorbs less water than DOT4, but has a lower boiling point. However, there are several brands of low moisture absorbing DOT4 brake fluid on the market, which is what I recommend.

Do not use DOT5 or DOT5.1 unless you know the difference between all of them.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default BRAKE FLIUD

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Mike, I strongly disagree with what you are trying to say here. The 12 year old fluid in your Toyota is downright dangerous and I don't want to be on the road with you. On other topics you have been one of the most conservative safety proponents in this forum. I was quite surprised at this post.

In a Spyder, the fluid is SPENT by two years. It gets HOT and not just from the brakes, look where your master cylinder and lines run. Its absorbs water and becomes compressible. A large percentage of the 'Brake Failure' warnings on Spyders are from spent brake fluid.

If the bike gets driven much at all, at 2 yrs the fluid is DONE, at 3 yrs its doing damage. If you do the work yourself, it costs less than $10 to flush the system with fresh fluid. At a dealer its less than 1 hour labor. Its also a necessary part of a brake job.
    ..........JC - did you read my first sentence or just decided to forget I said it ???? and How can you KNOW what I was " trying to say " do you have a CRYSTAL BALL ?????? ........... Mike

Spyder Garage

Brake fluid draws moisture which can cause corrosion to the internals of the system, not a good thing. I restore old bikes for giggles and one thing that ALWAYS needs rebuilt or replaced is the master cylinders and calipers because of the corrosion and rock hard crud caused by neglect.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..........JC - did you read my first sentence or just decided to forget I said it ???? and How can you KNOW what I was " trying to say " do you have a CRYSTAL BALL ?????? ........... Mike
    Your presented 'real life experience' is in error. The 12 year old fluid in your Toyota that you claim is 'fine' is not. Its contaminated and unsafe. You present this experience as an alternative view to the requirement of changing fluid every two years.

Your intent was clear and its outright wrong and dangerous to suggest folks not change the fluid. You not changing fluid in your Toyota is negligent and advertising it on a public forum....well.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I do not know anyone who does the brake fluid on there cars unless the master cylinder or caliper brakes so you need to stay off the road because according to you most cars are unsafe. Now my Spyder is going on 5 years and I just noticed about the fluid change but guess what the spyder brakes are running great. I will at my next service get it done.

Spyder Garage

I changed mine at 3 years and 10k miles and the stuff looked about like drain oil. I went though almost two 12oz bottles before I got everything to run nice and clean. I sucked the reservoirs empty with vacuum bleeder first, topped up with clean fluid, then pumped clean fluid through until I pulled clean fluid through each bleeder.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

I do not know anyone who does the brake fluid on there cars unless the master cylinder or caliper brakes so you need to stay off the road because according to you most cars are unsafe. Now my Spyder is going on 5 years and I just noticed about the fluid change but guess what the spyder brakes are running great. I will at my next service get it done.
    Suppose I should not be surprised how many folks completely neglect basic maintenance on their vehicles. I assure you, mine do not run 12 years without a brake fluid flush.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

That's usually the mentality of the people who think they can do their own service but are too scared or don't have the knowledge to venture out from the standard oil change. If you were to bring your vehicle back to the dealership for its regular services they'd most definitely be changing your brake fluid every 2 years. Back in day before all the complex braking systems you could get away with that stuff, now a days you can't. Look at the HUGE Harley recall from people that weren't properly changing their brake fluid.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd View Post
    That's usually the mentality of the people who think they can do their own service but are too scared or don't have the knowledge to venture out from the standard oil change. If you were to bring your vehicle back to the dealership for its regular services they'd most definitely be changing your brake fluid every 2 years. Back in day before all the complex braking systems you could get away with that stuff, now a days you can't. Look at the HUGE Harley recall from people that weren't properly changing their brake fluid.
    I never service my own bike always bring it to the dealer

Spyder Garage

I never service my own bike always bring it to the dealer
    Then if the shop is actually reputable they'll change the brake fluid every 2 years as it's part of the maintenance schedule.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L

Spyder Garage

Default UNDERSTANDING THE - - - ENGLISH LANGUAGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your presented 'real life experience' is in error. ... The only way it could be " in ERROR " is if it wasn't TRUE - are you saying I'm a Liar ..... The 12 year old fluid in your Toyota that you claim is 'fine' is not..... I NEVER said the fluid is/was FINE .... I said my BRAKES were FINE ( as in how they felt !!!!!!!............ Its contaminated and unsafe..... It probably is ...... You present this experience as an alternative view to the requirement of changing fluid every two years, ....I didn't present any such thing , this is ALL in your MIND !!!!!! ...... in fact My Spyders brake fluid was changed last year @ 24,267 miles !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Your intent was clear and its outright wrong and dangerous to suggest folks not change the fluid....WRONG again JC - my FIRST sentence in my post was - " I'M NOT EVEN SUGGESTING YOU DON'T CHANGE ( meaning brake fluid which is what the thread is about ) EVERY TWO YEARS" ........... You not changing fluid in your Toyota is negligent and advertising it on a public forum....well.....Probably but - ADVERTISING - I don't see it that way, I stated an Experience
    ............ see above in RED type ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Not wanting to enter into this discussion !

I'll admit to being a little perplexed here, but I'll tell my story in hopes I don't get shot over it. I'll refrain from responding further after this post.
    2 years came and went on my 2014 RTL without me even thinking about changing brake fluid. I worried more about oil changes and the like, but because of my experience with cars I didn't think about this being an issue. Now it is going into 4 years and at 20,000 miles I finally changed the rear pads but the fronts are still around 50%. I got concerned and looked at flushing the fluids, however I didn't because of NOT seeing any appreciable change in color of the fluid. I'm looking right now at a bottle if Lipton Rasberry Ice Tea on my desk, and it is darker and more yellow than my brake fluid is. I do not see any darkening or specs in the fluid to concern me either. I don't recall even topping it off over these years - but don't know if the dealer did during any of the oil changes. I do know he didn't bleed the brakes at any time. To finish.....the brakes "seem" to work fine - even in a few panic stops I needed to make along the way. I will continue to keep an eye on this, but until I see a reason.....................

Like I said.....Just my story.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    It is pretty much an industry standard, my other bikes also call for 2 years
    That's to cover their butts......partly.

On a vehicle without ABS or stability control, I think that is WAY overkill.

On a vehicle WITH ABS and stability control, like Spyders with the "nanny", I think you should follow that recommendation......but no need to be paranoid about it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Its absorbs water and becomes compressible.
    Water is no more compressible than oil (brake fluid) unless it boils into steam.

And since the brake systems are supposed to be sealed........how does that water get IN there ??
    Edit: I believe that you will find a flexible rubber diaphragm under that MS cap, which provides a seal (mostly) between the fluid and the atmosphere.

I am not trolling for a pointless argument here; that is a serious question.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 03-23-2018 at 07:47 PM.