Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Please identify the source or better yet provide a link. Thanks.
    Just google it. You'll find numerous sources.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    In his essay published Tuesday, Stevens talks about the "March for Our Lives" events on Saturday which drew crowds in cities across the country. Stevens said the demonstrations "reveal the broad public support for legislation to minimize the risk of mass killings of schoolchildren and others in our society."
    I'm usually not one to wade into such a divisive off-topic issue, and I'm barely old enough to remember Vietnam, but I think these last 2 sentences make the strongest point of the argument for me.

Is it really too much of a stretch to consider the options associated with some form of restrictive gun ownership and availability without extending that concept straight to the level of "pry it from my cold dead hands"?

Changing the Constitution, nor repealing or amending the provisions under it are not impossible, but IMO, the extremest positions and winner-take-all mentality that many throughout our society have on gun control, abortion and other controversial matters make it highly unlikely that we will see any such change in the next decade or two...leastwise not until all those youths that many unfortunately prefer to label "snowflakes" and disbelieve are capable of having an opinion that is not manipulated by "Hollywood and gun-hating billionaires" are old enough to exercise their votes...and may for the sake of many choose to vote with their conscience, not just their wallets.

As far as an earlier comment about better parenting is concerned, well, parenting doesn't stop "crazy"...and anyone too stubborn to admit that ALL of the individuals who've committed the 28 mass killings in the 19 years since Columbine is anything but crazy is probably (again, IMO) a darn fool themselves.

Sign me in favor of the right to keep and bear arms...within reason and with limitations.
    Flame suit on...
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    Sign me in favor of the right to keep and bear arms...within reason and with limitations.
    Flame suit on...
    Eloquent! Flame suit should not be necessary.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Sorry. I have not kept up with this one. I just saw the MSN post today. Thought it might be appropriate.
    The longer the threads become ........

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Bob,

Re: To repeal an Amendment to the Constitution is a pretty daunting task: I'd say that it's pretty near next to impossible now...

No more difficult than any other change to it.

Jerry Baumchen
    ...Which requires two-thirds of Congress to agree on the change, and three-fourths of the States to ratify it...

You'd do better with buying PowerBall tickets!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 03-28-2018 at 09:19 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raprider View Post
    I'm usually not one to wade into such a divisive off-topic issue, and I'm barely old enough to remember Vietnam, but I think these last 2 sentences make the strongest point of the argument for me.

Is it really too much of a stretch to consider the options associated with some form of restrictive gun ownership and availability without extending that concept straight to the level of "pry it from my cold dead hands"?

Changing the Constitution, nor repealing or amending the provisions under it are not impossible, but IMO, the extremest positions and winner-take-all mentality that many throughout our society have on gun control, abortion and other controversial matters make it highly unlikely that we will see any such change in the next decade or two...leastwise not until all those youths that many unfortunately prefer to label "snowflakes" and disbelieve are capable of having an opinion that is not manipulated by "Hollywood and gun-hating billionaires" are old enough to exercise their votes...and may for the sake of many choose to vote with their conscience, not just their wallets.

As far as an earlier comment about better parenting is concerned, well, parenting doesn't stop "crazy"...and anyone too stubborn to admit that ALL of the individuals who've committed the 28 mass killings in the 19 years since Columbine is anything but crazy is probably (again, IMO) a darn fool themselves.

Flame suit on...
    Finally! A refreshing, well written, well thought out position! Kudos to you!
    Bert

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    If so, I guess you're all stuck in the 1790's then ??
    I suggest that it is not just a matter of being "stuck in the 1790's." Our 242 yr-old-nation has existed for more than half its expected life span. Consider: How long do they last? The average length of time that a civilization lasts is 349.2 years. The median is 330 years. https://owlcation.com/humanities/How...o-empires-last So, it is more likely that American civilization as we know it has only a little more time left.

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

Hi Raprider,

Re: ...within reason and with limitations.

Since our Congress Critters will not touch it ( a pox on both their houses ) some people here in Oregon are taking it on:

https://www.ceasefireoregon.org/our-plan/

I'll be sending them a check later this week.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Raprider, Re: ...within reason and with limitations. Since our Congress Critters will not touch it ( a pox on both their houses ) some people here in Oregon are taking it on: https://www.ceasefireoregon.org/our-plan/ I'll be sending them a check later this week. Jerry Baumchen
    I think if Congress does not act in any meaningful way, individual states will. Which is not the solution-gun laws should be the same across the country but what can you do if the NRA will not bend one inch?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I think if Congress does not act in any meaningful way, individual states will. Which is not the solution-gun laws should be the same across the country but what can you do if the NRA will not bend one inch?
    looks like your in favor of reciprocal carry across state lines, outstanding

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    looks like your in favor of reciprocal carry across state lines, outstanding
    I'm in favor of California's gun laws in effect nationally...nice try, though.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Is that because the rate of homicide by guns is up in California last year ?
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

LOL, what a shock

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did anybody else watch those two episodes of "Roseanne" last night??

Spyder Garage

This country's current political discourse can easily be solved by voting to divide it in half.
    I'll start by giving you California, NY and some of the posters in this thread..............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    This country's current political discourse can easily be solved by voting to divide it in half. I'll start by giving you California, NY and some of the posters in this thread..............
    It's not yours to give.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

This country's current political discourse can easily be solved by voting to divide it in half.
    I'll start by giving you California, NY and some of the posters in this thread..............
    I do not understand why self-proclaimed conservatives hate CA and NY so much. Really? If you don't live there, how do their liberal policies affect you? What about the "states' rights" that are supposedly such a conservative trademark? What, they don't apply to states whose policies you don't like? Stop being a hypocrite. Take a chill pill, don't go to those states and ignore the policies they have there that DON'T AFFECT YOU where YOU live.

Your idea about dividing the country is really immature and wouldn't solve anything. We are not perfectly divided into red and blue states. The "reddest" of red states were only 65-70% for Trump and the "bluest" of blue states were only about 60% for Hillary (not counting DC). You cannot solve the country's political problems by screwing over the 30-40% of voters left behind after your division. I'm also willing to wager that the vast majority of red voters in red states wouldn't go along with the division and vice-versa for blue voters in blue states. Nor does your idea consider the fact that politics do, in fact, change over time. The pendulum has swung back and forth multiple times during my lifetime.

Here's a better idea: How about if we the people GROW UP and insist that our representatives in Congress do the same, and learn to compromise like they used to? I can't think of a single person in Washington, DC, right now that acts like an adult. And YES, that goes for both parties. Whatever problems we had in this country intensified greatly when the "you're either with us or against us" attitude developed.
    Last edited by johnsimion; 03-28-2018 at 09:02 PM.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Awesome, John

Spyder Garage

It amazing that when the gun subject comes up all heck breaks loose. We all read the same paper and no one come out with the same meaning of what they read. Saw on the news this morning that Some democrat wants to do away with the second amendment. So this should make all the gun haters happy. They won't stop trying till they totally mess this whole country up.

Spyder Garage

Mr H...

Some Democrat, somewhere... Out of 635 Senators and representatives at the federal level alone...OK sure.
    Why must it be "they" who are messing it up for the rest of us, and not those who "gotta have mah guns cuz I got my right to ALL of them" are professing?
    Nobody is trying to mess anything up, but simply to change things...for the better...for all...based on the proceedings morals and values of the times.
    And as inevitably as death and taxes, things change, especially in a society as diverse as ours. Some would still disagree on certain changes in our 242 past years, and hard fought battles are still being won and lost.
    Even Prohibition had good intent, though most of us here would have hated living during it
    And just to add, we don't all read the same paper, and the bulk of today's mass media, literally anything broader than the Hickory Dickory free pages at the local supermarket, are designed with few facts and primarily opinions...fully intended to spin the news for the expected audience..simply to sell more papers or more eyeball hours or whatever... Not suggesting any of it is FAKE per see, but Fair n Balanced, not so much.
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I'll start by giving you California, and NY (except Amsterdam, NY) and some of the posters in this thread.............., except Stormy Daniels of course, my idol
    What is discourse? Is it something like intercourse?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    What is discourse? Is it something like intercourse?
    Kind of... You just KNOW that somehow: you're gonna get screwed!

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Did anybody else watch those two episodes of "Roseanne" last night??
    never cared for roseanne but i did watch andy griffith

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

HEY HEY, bob & i are in ny.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll move...
    Just give me some time to get things in order...