Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    But you like Sushi...
    Yes, you remembered. But, I haven't been to a sushi restaurant yet that requires me to catch.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So you're like the person who likes bacon cheeseburgers; but can't stand the thought of actually killing the cow or the pig for the meat that they provide...

(Just kidding!!!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default I agree that we are the problem....

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    SNIP...
    In all of these years, even when the guns were in a glass front display case, never once has any of my guns opened the doors, stepped outside, opened the ammo drawer, loaded itself and shot anything. The gun ain't the problem, folks. Humanity is the problem.

Until we as parents actually take the responsibility to raise our children, be their parent not their buddy, I don't see much change. So, lets continue to blame the tool, the inanimate object. But let's not take the time and make the effort to get to the real problem and fix it. Banning the tool is a quick fix which is what we want in today's society, but it won't last forever.
    ...SNIP
    ...and I came across an interesting quote by Ray Comfort of LivingWaters.com. His comment was in response to Stephen Hawking's
    doomsday prediction about the end of the world as we know it:

“Back in May (2017), renowned physicist Stephen Hawking made yet another doomsday prediction. He said that humanity has 100 years left on Earth, which knocked 900 years off the prediction he made in November 2016, which had given humanity 1,000 years left. With his new estimate, Hawking suggested the only way to prolong humanity’s existence is for us to find a new home, on another planet.”

“We are running out of space and the only places to go to are other worlds. It is time to explore other solar systems. Spreading out may be the only thing that saves us from ourselves. I am convinced that humans need to leave Earth,” Hawking added.
    https://futurism.com/stephen-hawking-i-am-convinced-that-humans-need-to-leave-earth/

And this is what Ray Comfort said, echoing the point made by kep-up:

“I don’t believe that we all need to go live in space to get away from the problems that plague the human race. This is because we would take the problems with us. We are the problem.”
    https://www.livingwaters.com/watch-stephen-hawking-get-exalted-to-sainthood/

An interesting proposal has been made by the #walkupnotout movement. It is about making the effort to connect one-on-one with all those solitary kids in the schools who seem to have no friends and are easy targets for bullying. I agree that relationship building among all of us will help us all.

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

Hi Saluda,

Re: Will the future generation be more anti gun ?

They already are. A person in school today has lived in the shadow of Columbine their entire life.

The 2nd amendment is not cut in stone.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Then in that case: neither are any of the other Amendments...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Saluda, Re: Will the future generation be more anti gun ? They already are. A person in school today has lived in the shadow of Columbine their entire life.

The 2nd amendment is not cut in stone. Jerry Baumchen
    The point is that the NRA's position on the 2nd amendment is not cut in stone. The pendulum will swing again and when it does a lot of people are going to have to rethink their 'rights'.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The NRA's defense of the Second Amendment is unwavering, and will continue to be so...

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

And that is why they can be altered and adjusted as the american society sees fit

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The NRA's defense of the Second Amendment is unwavering, and will continue to be so...
    Don't you mean their relatively recent (see the article) interpretation of the Second Amendment?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That's right, they're not!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

You mean their defense of the current interpretation of the second amendment, as affirmed by the Supreme Court. That too is subject to change. My argument is that the current interpretation, as well as the language of the 2nd Amendment, WILL change someday, just not in our lifetimes. If the NRA wants to ensure that guns remain part and parcel of American life for the next 242 years they need to acknowledge that reality and begin to move toward the inevitable limitation on possessing and carrying weapons, otherwise eventually there will no private ownership of guns. If they continue to focus on hanging onto the whole loaf, and forever refuse any sort of accommodation with the anti-gun crowd, they stand to lose the entire loaf. A half loaf is a lot more than no loaf.

But I'm sure none of us here today will live long enough to see it happen.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    You mean their defense of the current interpretation of the second amendment, as affirmed by the Supreme Court. That too is subject to change. My argument is that the current interpretation, as well as the language of the 2nd Amendment, WILL change someday, just not in our lifetimes. If the NRA wants to ensure that guns remain part and parcel of American life for the next 242 years they need to acknowledge that reality and begin to move toward the inevitable limitation on possessing and carrying weapons, otherwise eventually there will no private ownership of guns. If they continue to focus on hanging onto the whole loaf, and forever refuse any sort of accommodation with the anti-gun crowd, they stand to lose the entire loaf. A half loaf is a lot more than no loaf. But I'm sure none of us here today will live long enough to see it happen.
    I'm still hopeful.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You mean like not allowing criminals to possess firearms?
    Or the folks who are mentally unfit?

How's that working out for you?

The Justice system needs to do it's job: the laws are already on the books.

It seems that the localities with the most stringent gun laws: have the highest crime rates.
    Don't you find that odd?

Spyder Garage

No, no no...... Leave it be....... Go play a wee piobaireachd on the GHB.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

we need to ban mutants and develop the sentinal program
    no more muties, no more muties!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No, no no...... Leave it be....... Go play a wee piobaireachd on the GHB.
    I'm curious what this means?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Hi Idaho,

Re: just not in our lifetimes.

In the summer of '63, I spent a few days in Berlin. I have a photo of me standing next to Checkpoint Charlie. I knew that someday the wall would come down. I just did not think it would in my lifetime.

Voila. 1989 and she is gone.

IMO what your post is about will happen much sooner than any of us know.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Idaho,

Re: just not in our lifetimes.

In the summer of '63, I spent a few days in Berlin. I have a photo of me standing next to Checkpoint Charlie. I knew that someday the wall would come down. I just did not think it would in my lifetime.

Voila. 1989 and she is gone.

IMO what your post is about will happen much sooner than any of us know.

Jerry Baumchen
    Keep in mind, the remaining lifetime for most of us on this board is only about 10 to 30 years!

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All that means, is that we've had a fun time!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All that means, is that we've had a fun time!
    Is it Gaelic?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It seems to me that rational debate about control of some types of guns and of some limits on who can own them is difficult to achieve as long as the debate becomes mired in absolutist views and name-calling.

Gun control does not mean 'no guns' - it does not mean 'no second amendment rights'.

Gun control is about all society - not just one party or another.

Yes, the world is watching, this is what we see...

What America decides to do is an American issue, but the "thinking" behind the type of debate you have is a global issue. After all, you are Leader of the Free World, so your actions as a nation go much further than your borders. Some respect in the debate would be nice, along with some logic and some listening to other views to find the most balanced solution for a pluralist society. What the article on nra history might have done is create some awareness amongst its members that their organisation's stance has changed over time - and that perhaps it is time for another change. It could still happen...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    It seems to me that rational debate about control of some types of guns and of some limits on who can own them is difficult to achieve as long as the debate becomes mired in absolutist views and name-calling. Gun control does not mean 'no guns' - it does not mean 'no second amendment rights'. Gun control is about all society - not just one party or another. Yes, the world is watching, this is what we see...

What America decides to do is an American issue, but the "thinking" behind the type of debate you have is a global issue. After all, you are Leader of the Free World, so your actions as a nation go much further than your borders. Some respect in the debate would be nice, along with some logic and some listening to other views to find the most balanced solution for a pluralist society. What the article on nra history might have done is create some awareness amongst its members that their organisation's stance has changed over time - and that perhaps it is time for another change. It could still happen...
    Thanks Lois. I think for objective, rational thought on the topic, we're going to have to turn to foreign pundits and maybe recent immigrants!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I'm curious what this means?
    research, my friend, research is at your fingertips. Hint: G=Great H=Highland B=Bagpipe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

research, my friend, research is at your fingertips. Hint: G=Great H=Highland B=Bagpipe
    Aargh here I was thinking it was Great Haired Bombast

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought that he was suffering a psychedelic flashback...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-Hydroxybutyric_acid