Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT-S Blown Headlights

I am about to replace 2nd blown headlight on my 2014 RT-S in 36K miles. Its a major undertaking and wanted to avoid in the future. Last time I replaced both bulbs since I had all the plastic ware off. Is this normal wear? Are there headlights that last as long as car headlights? Is there an easier way than pulling off all the plastic?
    Thanks,
    Santa Ken,
    San Clemente,
    CA

Spyder Garage

Hi Ken,
    Easier headlight changes:

1. Magic Mirrors
    2. battery powered driver for the torx bit. long (10" long )extension,1/4 drive with 10mm socket to remove that bolt buried under the headlight.
    3. you tube video for this job.
    4. LED lights for longer bulb life.
    Good luck, Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Ken View Post
    I am about to replace 2nd blown headlight on my 2014 RT-S in 36K miles. Its a major undertaking and wanted to avoid in the future. Last time I replaced both bulbs since I had all the plastic ware off. Is this normal wear? Are there headlights that last as long as car headlights? Is there an easier way than pulling off all the plastic?
    Thanks,
    Santa Ken,
    San Clemente,
    CA
    I would re-place with LED's …… But if you love halogens get Motorcycle " specific " halogens, they are tougher than the ones for auto's ….. good luck .… Mike ……………..PS check re-lay and or fuse …..

Spyder Garage

Where did you buy your first replacement bulbs? If you bought them from a Can-Am dealer they come in a box and there is a chance that a greasy fingered, knuckle dragging parts guy may have touched them thereby significantly shortening the life of the bulb. In July I replaced my second set of halogen bulbs at 61K with LEDs and noticed one of the old halogen bulbs had a broken filament. Whether it was out and I didn't notice or it just gave up I have no idea. I'll bet that the vibrations Spyders feel on the road is worse than in a cage and that probably contributes to shortening the life. Do yourself a favor, switch to LEDs on both your headlights and fog lights. Brighter and longer life.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I also had the same issue with my 2014 RT. The right side burned out twice. I replaced them with tricled led's in about 2016...no problems since.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not sure about a major undertaking but these are lifetime warranty. https://www.canamspyderaccessories.c...hts-all-years/
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White