Spyder Garage

Default Skyline Dr. Ride 5/13/18?

Is anyone interested in a Skyline Drive Ride the afternoon of Saturday 5/12/2018? We would meet at a restaurant in Waynesboro VA at about 11 AM leaving about 12:30 PM. This will be an all afternoon ride going north up the Skyline Drive and ending up in Front Royal VA. I will be staying in Front Royal Saturday night.

If enough people are interested we will make this happen.

I will be riding for a few days in WV and will be riding over to Waynesboro on Saturday morning.
    Last edited by rick_w; 04-02-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

not sure I could make the Skyline drive ride but what's your plans for riding WV? any particular areas?

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My aunt used to always talk about Skyline drive, so I did it, along with the entire BRP last fall. They have some nice overlooks, and it is good for a nice Sunday drive, but that is about it. The speed limit is 35 mph the entire 110 miles. We saw 9 rangers with radar detectors within that 110 miles. It is a great start, but the BRP, south of the Boone area is much better. But if you have never done it, it is worth the ride. Have fun.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I first road Skyline and the BRP in 1976 and I haven't missed a year since. Matter of fact I hit them an average of three times a year on either the Spyder or two wheels. The amount of traffic has increased dramatically over the years and the weekends just plain suck. Law enforcement presence has increased as well, but the number of motorcycle crashes is growing at an alarming rate. I spent three days traveling the whole shebang last year on my vintage Honda and in three days I encountered five bike crashes, two of them with fatalities. As Blacklightning stated, it is a great Sunday drive which is what the intention was when it was built. It's not a racetrack or a place to test your skills. There are plenty of other roads in the area to do that. Cops can be thick, Deer ARE thick, campers, and folks creeping along enjoying the scenery are thick especially weekends. Sudden stops are frequent. A lot of the overlooks are on sharp curves where you can't see if anyone is entering the road. I love it there and will ride it in April when my 81 Suzuki project is finished.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I have gotten several messages with questions.

Yes it is weather dependent. Because this is the middle of May there is a possibility that you could have bad weather. If it is cold and raining we will make a call a couple of days prior and let people know.

Yes I do know the speed limit on the Skyline Drive is 35 mph. I have ridden this and the Blue Ridge Parkway many, many times over the last 40 years. We normally ride major portions or the whole distance all the way to Cherokee at least once a year. This is about riding a nice road and having a good time.

I will be riding to Marlinton WV on Friday. Will leave from the Old Clark Inn, Marlinton on Saturday morning to go over to Waynesboro.

Quote Originally Posted by rick_w View Post
    Is anyone interested in a Skyline Drive Ride the afternoon of Sunday 5/13/2018? We would meet at a restaurant in Waynesboro VA at about 11 AM leaving about 12:30 PM. This will be an all afternoon ride going north up the Skyline Drive and ending up in Front Royal VA. I will be staying in Front Royal Sunday night.

If enough people are interested we will make this happen.

I will be riding for a few days in WV and will be riding over to Waynesboro on Sunday morning.
    Post if you are interested.
    Last edited by rick_w; 04-02-2018 at 11:01 AM.
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

Spyder Garage

Mmmmmmm Marlinton. Lots of great roads.

2015 RT , Black