Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Most 'NAPA' parts stores have the Thermal Paste in stock. You can order it on line from various sources by the way.
    And thank you for that, it actually answers my question. I'll look there.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CLEAR MEANINGS

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd View Post
    I have no clue what you're talking about. I'm not disputing that you need the thermal paste, I was merely asking for a supplier or brand of thermal paste. I did read all the comments, you need to read all the WORDS.

I see now that BajaRon's kits include the paste so I'd be all set seeing I'll just order the kit from him when I'm ready.
    You asked for a " recommendation ", my understanding of that word isn't " WHERE DO YOU BUY THIS STUFF " . When a person talks in CODE ...it's hard to figure out what they are saying ..........Mike

Spyder Garage

No code involved seeing I didn't ask for application recommendation. And I wasn't really asking where to buy it, more of a brand recommendation because I've never seen the stuff before.

Funny, 2 other members were able to crack my "code" you just jumped to your conclusion.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L

Spyder Garage

So, any recommendation on this "thermal paste". I can't say I've ever seen the stuff on the autoparts store shelves before but I can't say I've ever looked.
    You can get it on line, at some automotive parts stores and pretty much any place that sells electronics or computer gear.

Even Wal-Mart sells it!

I get a great deal on the small packets I include because I purchase several hundred at a time. So I am able to include this with my spark plug kits without adding much to the total cost.

If you get yours from one of these suggested locations you will most likely get much more than you need. So be very sparing with it. A very thin cote of Thermal Paste on all but the last 2 threads (at the electrode end, is all you need. It's not 'A Little Is Good so More Must Be Better' thing!

Sorry to make such a big deal about such a simple thing. Just a lot of misunderstanding out there on this subject.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-23-2018 at 09:51 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You can get it on line, at some automotive parts stores and pretty much any place that sells electronics or computer gear.

Even Wal-Mart sells it!

You'll most likely get much more than you need so be very sparing with it. A very thin cote of Thermal Paste on all but the last 2 threads (at the electrode end, is all you need. It's not 'A Little Is Good so More Must Be Better' thing!

Sorry to make such a big deal about such a simple thing. Just a lot of misunderstanding out there on this subject.

Good Luck!
    Excellent reply, thank you! I didn't realise that your kits included the stuff and I fully plan on buying the stuff from you. I won't really need the stuff until the end of this season when I anticipate hitting that 14k mile mark. Thanks again.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L

Spyder Garage

Originally Posted by Yazz
    When I first got my GS/RS, stock with the dual Two Bros, it had impressive back-fires on deceleration. I put the juice box in and the back-fires stopped.

It's up to you what you do, ride it for a while and decide if you want to put the juice box back in. My mechanic told me to let the engine breath, install a K&N filter.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    What do you mean?
    The Juice Box is a O2 sensor that replaces the OEM O2 sensor on the rear of the exhaust pipes.

https://www.amazon.com/Two-Brothers-.../dp/B009L90V1E
    Last edited by Yazz; 03-21-2018 at 10:54 AM.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Excellent reply, thank you! I didn't realise that your kits included the stuff and I fully plan on buying the stuff from you. I won't really need the stuff until the end of this season when I anticipate hitting that 14k mile mark. Thanks again.
    Not a problem. I know I am a vendor but I try hard to educate and not push my stuff. Where anyone gets their gear is 100% their own business. If I can help someone get it right the 1st time that's the most important thing. Whether they get it from me or somewhere else.

And, in the interest of ...

... here is some more interesting information on the subject.

This first video is just for demonstration purposes. It is a Rotax promotional to get you to purchase an account. I'm not trying to push their service here. But the video does make a very good point in regards to this Thermal Paste or Heat Transfer issue.

Listen carefully to his last words. As his voice fades out he is saying that the thermal paste helps keep the spark plug within it's engineered heat range. Very important!

This 2nd video gives a pretty good demonstration of what you're actually trying to achieve with the Thermal Paste application. This guy is (I think) overly conservative. I would get the thermal paste within 2 threads of the electrode. The idea being NOT to get any ON the electrode.

Not trying to beat anyone up with all of this. Just putting information out there so everyone can make an informed decision. No one knows it all. But together, with everyone pitching in what they do know. We can make life better for all of us!

Have a Great Day everyone!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-21-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not a problem. I know I am a vendor but I try hard to educate and not push my stuff. Where anyone gets their gear is 100% their own business. If I can help someone get it right the 1st time that's the most important thing. Whether they get it from me or somewhere else.

And, in the interest of ...

... here is some more interesting information on the subject.

This first video is just for demonstration purposes. It is a Rotax promotional to get you to purchase an account. I'm not trying to push their service here. But the video does make a very good point in regards to this Thermal Paste or Heat Transfer issue.

Listen carefully to his last words. As his voice fades out he is saying that the thermal paste helps keep the spark plug within it's engineered heat range. Very important!

This 2nd video gives a pretty good demonstration of what you're actually trying to achieve with the Thermal Paste application. This guy is (I think) overly conservative. I would get the thermal paste within 2 threads of the electrode. The idea being NOT to get any ON the electrode.

Not trying to beat anyone up with all of this. Just putting information out there so everyone can make an informed decision. No one knows it all. But together, with everyone pitching in what they do know. We can make life better for all of us!

Have a Great Day everyone!
    Very good info. Thanks!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I actually made my own plug wires and they work great. My local Autozone had a set of Accel 8mm plug wires on clearance that I picked up for $20. Got home and cut 2 wires the length of the stock ones and crimped the ends on. Works great. Seems to run better too. They look identical to BajaRons
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jroberts650 View Post
    I actually made my own plug wires and they work great. My local Autozone had a set of Accel 8mm plug wires on clearance that I picked up for $20. Got home and cut 2 wires the length of the stock ones and crimped the ends on. Works great. Seems to run better too. They look identical to BajaRons
    Look into the wire you are using before going this route. Not to say it won't work. But most of the wire kits that you find are simply glorified OEM wires. They look just like my wire sets on the outside (because they may be). But they are very different where it counts (the part you can't see).

In other words. If the wire has a carbon core center conductor, they are really no better than the OEM wires in many respects. A better OEM version, perhaps. But you still have the primary issue. The problematic carbon core.

Carbon core wires are made with compressed graphite (like in your pencil). Fragile and typically 1,500 ohm's of power robbing resistance per foot. Add about 5,000 ohm's of resistance in the spark plug and that's a lot of power loss!

Compare this to the 50 ohm's of resistance per foot in helically wound, solid core wires that I use. A lot more voltage reaches the spark plug and the solid wire core does not break down. It's easier on your coils as well. Though coils are not a big failure item on the Spyder.

Helically wound wires are a lot more expensive to make and that's why manufacturers send their vehicles out with carbon core wires. Carbon core is cheap and will do the job for awhile. Still, I think my wire kits are competitively priced with the OEM sets from BRP.

BRP OEM wire sets will typically last between 15k & 25k. My wire sets will go at least 50k and many have gone much further.

Like many things. Spark plug wires seem simple. But in reality. The difference can be great and it's hidden where you can't see it.

There are a lot of great articles about this on the Internet. Here is one. If you want to skip the details and get to the crux of the matter. Scroll down to Spark Plug Wire Anatomy

and then scroll down to 'Finally, there’s the core.' just a few more lines down.

Happy Reading!

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/1...-your-vehicle/
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-22-2018 at 11:21 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Carbon core wires are made with compressed graphite (like in your pencil).
    Carbon wires were originally designed to cut down on RFI from the wires.

IF.....you use AM radio or CB a lot, you might not be happy changing to solid wires.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Good Point

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post

IF.....you use AM radio or CB a lot, you might not be happy changing to solid wires.
    Ron, Do you use a CB or listen to AM radio on your Spyder ? I anticipate that any form of radio isn't listened to on Ron's Spyder unless it comes from his phone. Ron ? Truth or dare time. Share with all of us.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post

There are solid core wires, and then there are solid core wires. This opens up a whole new aspect of ignition wires, but it is worth addressing.

In the olden days all ignition wires were pretty much like any other electrical wire. After all. You just needed to get an electrical charge from one place to another. The best way to do this was with a solid metal core (usually copper) surrounded by an insulator to keep it from shorting out. This worked really well until they started putting radios in cars. (AM, is very susceptible to electrical noise). So the engineers went looking for a solution.

Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) sometimes called Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) (which is simply EMI within the radio bandwidth) is naturally generated when a spark plug system is fired. You are essentially creating a very loud electromagnetic transmitter.

Later, car computers came along which can be even more susceptible to EMI than a radio, and the problem got worse. Manufacturers, looking for a good, cheap solution, settled on carbon core wires. Enough spark arrived at the spark plug to do the job, and the EMI issue was solved through very high electrical resistance.

Still, a solid metal core wire was much superior to the carbon core wire in every way except for the EMI issues. So, how to get back to the advantages of a solid, metal core wire without the EMI issues? This is where Spiral or Hectically Wound ignition wire comes in. By taking a very small solid copper alloy wire and winding it tightly around a special center material, then surrounding it with special shielding. All the advantages of a solid, metal core wire could be achieved and EMI could be reduced to levels even lower than produced by carbon core wires.

Though this wire is more expensive to make. It lasts at least twice as long, delivers much more electrical energy to the spark plug, and the EMI suppression is at least as good as a carbon core wire.

So, no worries with the right kind of 'Solid Core' wires. In fact. Some have gone to these solid core wires to resolve radio or computer issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    Ron, Do you use a CB or listen to AM radio on your Spyder ? I anticipate that any form of radio isn't listened to on Ron's Spyder unless it comes from his phone. Ron ? Truth or dare time. Share with all of us.
    I do not listen to the radio or use a CB on my Spyder. But I can tell you that I have a lot of customers using my wire who do. Maybe one of them will reply.

The manufacturers of the wire I use in my kits claims that EMI will be less than with OEM carbon core wires. If my wire kits were creating EMI issues there is no doubt I woudl have heard about it long ago. I've been selling these wire kits since 2008.

All good questions though. It's important to know as much about a product as you can to avoid getting something you won't be happy with.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-23-2018 at 09:32 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Re Gauge

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Where do I get one of those gauges lol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RudyB View Post
    Where do I get one of those gauges lol
    If the demand were high enough I might start carrying these!

Spyder Garage

Is this the vacuum hoses every one speaks of when it lags at a dead stop and wants to turn off?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

BEtter pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stridersr7 View Post
    BEtter pic
    Yes.
    David

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Idk if they said this because you shouldn’t it or they want you to use factory ones. Same ppl who told me to throw away the juice box and leds
    Aren't you the one whose bike just died?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Aren't you the one whose bike just died?
    Well it wouldnt crank up and then i charged the battery all the way and it would work but went to limp mode. Changed the spark plugs to NGK iridiums then took off the 2 bros juice box and it ran better but would lag at a dead stop trying to go. Took the vacuum hoses off and they looked great. Checked the spark plug wires and there it was. See when I took off the spark plug wire on that difficult spot it was very hard to get the wire off. So might been damaged a little coming off. So since it’s arcing that might be my one and only problem. Lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well it wouldnt crank up and then i charged the battery all the way and it would work but went to limp mode. Changed the spark plugs to NGK iridiums then took off the 2 bros juice box and it ran better but would lag at a dead stop trying to go. Took the vacuum hoses off and they looked great. Checked the spark plug wires and there it was. See when I took off the spark plug wire on that difficult spot it was very hard to get the wire off. So might been damaged a little coming off. So since it’s arcing that might be my one and only problem. Lol
    Don't you think they might be related somehow?
    2014 RTL Platinum