Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

First, I do not want to minimize any of the problems people are having with BRP Connect … as I have faced some of them myself. And, like TheJuiceMan, I am extremely tech savvy (more than 30 years in software library design and support will do that to you). However, for those whos posts are recent on this thread …. please check your dash SW version …. SOME of the issues detailed here are supposed to be fixed (I believe the latest version is 20.xx.xx and prior was something like 19.3.x). Note that I have not yet had my dash updated, but do plan on it at the first service -- putting miles on the RT while trying to get a CB issue resolved; so it may be a few weeks. Additionally, I tried the "free trial" version of Genius Maps and didn't like it. About that time, BRP added Sygic and there was a "Sygic Sale" in their own store, so I got a discount on the upgrade that gives lifetime support (nearly half off, if I recall). Sygic is not perfect, but it does work and it is more "Garmin like" than Genius Maps. The main issue I am waiting to get resolved is "no music" in the BT headset (my J&M CB will be paired as a headset and I would like to hear both it an music in the headset). According to the description of the SW update, the "no music" issue is resolved with the 20.xx.xx dash update.

Finally, I agree that BRP missed the mark by going with proprietary BRP Connect instead of somewhat proven tech like Apple Car Play and Android Auto. Though, truth be told, I have heard that Honda has had some issues with their new digital dash as well (it uses Apple Car Play and Android Auto).

Good luck to us all. Love the F3 … don't have enough time with the new dash to say if I like it or not.

All the best …. Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

I am starting to believe that a class action suit is needed. After all, they are now on version 20.X and not everything works! I am switching over to just phone and headset on a $30K bike.......not good.

I am on 13.2, why, because the dealer could not do the 20.8 when it first came out. I now expect to have to [ay for an update becauseCan Am dies not consider a working system needed on an RT. I think Can Am is getting too much leeway, just as Honda is with the Golding 2018 Nav that does not work (I had one).

A simple solution for BRP would be a retrofit to at least a 2017 stable version of audio. A much better would be to engage Bosch to fix their issues. The best, android auto and Apple CarPlay (Not just apple as Honda did, as many use Android).

Probably seem bitter, mainly because I nearly bought a 2017 in a preferred color. but wanted the great new dash that does not work. I never talk about suing, but Can Am ripped us off with BRP Connect period/ Heck, even if it worked, the USB connections are in ovens that punish our phones......
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McClendons View Post
    A much better would be to engage Bosch to fix their issues.
    Pardon me for laughing. I guess you don't know but BRP Connect is a version of mySPIN, which is Bosch's smartphone connectivity system for vehicles. So, Bosch HAS been engaged from the very outset.

From this page: https://www.bosch-presse.de/presspor...17-132495.html
    mySPIN – smartphone integration solution:

mySPIN enables riders to transfer the content of their smartphones to their motorcycle, scooter, or powersport vehicle. In 2017, mySPIN went into production for the first time in BRP’s on-road Can-Am Spyder trike. mySPIN will be featured in more and more popular powersport vehicles. The reasons for selecting mySPIN are the way it allows the expertise of key third-party apps to be leveraged, its simplicity of use, and its capacity to minimize distractions compared with the other solutions in the market (smartphone cradles, touchscreens).
    And on this page: https://www.sygic.com/car-connected-navigation/brp
    Sygic Car Navigation for motorcycles is specially optimized to work with head-units with Bosch mySPIN connectivity option. This connectivity allows you to connect your smartphone and project navigation directly onto the head unit screen. Once the smartphone is connected via USB cable to your motorcycle you can conveniently control it through rotary knob or joystick on handlebars.
    And on this page: https://www.infoware.de/en/automotiv...ty-in-the-car/
    mySPIN

The major advantage of the mySPIN technology from Bosch is that it connects both iOS and Android apps to the car! The application is mirrored on the screen in the vehicle in a way that makes sense to the driver. The app can use the car’s GPS and speakers.
    What I'm having a hard time finding are what cars use mySPIN. The only ones I came across are Jaguar and Land Rover. BMW motorcycles also use mySPIN. There isn't a lot of recent information on the web about mySPIN, or any of the other systems. I suspect all car companies are now committed to one system or another and everyone is holding all their info close to chest because of extreme competitiveness.

For those of you who use Cardo BT systems this is interesting. I don't know if BRPConnect has it available yet. https://www.cardosystems.com/press-r...-two-wheelers/.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

North Las Vegas, NV, Third Rock From The Sun
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    For those of you who use Cardo BT systems this is interesting. I don't know if BRPConnect has it available yet. https://www.cardosystems.com/press-r...-two-wheelers/.
    I've got the Cardo Freecom4+ on my Shoei. There was an update for it which I installed, and I redownloaded/reinstalled both the iPhone Cardo Connect and BRP apps for my iPhone. The BRP app doesn't show Cardo Connect as being an available app yet, so there is no way for me to get it to add into the BRP app on my iPhone then get it to show up on the Spyder dash.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

I know who makes it and should be held accountable.....reason I stated "Bosch to fix THEIR...". All I am stating, BRP is dropping the ball not holding them accountable......and they clearly have not be held accountable, nor has BRP stepped up.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I have been setting on the sidelines watching this brew so to speak. I am a 2018 RTL owner that also does not understand BRP's half-baked integration of the Bosch mySpin system. I do not understand the partnership of Bosch, BRP and the selected software that is approved in this case. Personally, I think that BRP did not want to get into paying rights management fees with Apple for CarPlay. BRP Connect is absolute crap. BRP is primarily accountable for selecting and sticking with Bosch. Bosch is just hocking software that has been 'customized' by BRP. There could be an underlying iOS issue preventing CarPlay or Android from being used but that would also mean BRP went ... really, really, really far to save $1 per unit.
    Dave

"Pallidus Aranea"
    (Pale Spider)

• 2018 CamAm Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White / Chrome
    • 2008 H/D VROD 105th Anniversary Edition (665 of 1200) - Retired
    • 1987 Honda CRB600F - "Hurricane" - Retired

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
    2018 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Pallidus, if you thing there's a minor revolt out there in Spyder land now just think how much more fierce it would be if BRP went with CarPlay. It would be iOS users only, which would be what, 30 or 40% of Spyder owners. I don't know what the situation is now but when the 2018 Goldwing came first came out if you wanted connectivity you had to switch to iPhone if you didn't already have one. And from what I read that system has not been trouble free either.

The real problem, IMO, is that the relentless push for bells and whistles and all sorts of fancy uses for software, and trying to stay ahead of competitors, and the subsequent short life of every iteration, has caused developers to not pay sufficient attention to s/w quality to the degree needed. I've been saying for years people weren't going to get serious about the issue until an airliner dropped out the sky because of a software problem.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McClendons View Post
    ..reason I stated "Bosch to fix THEIR...".
    Fair enough. Since the focus of the conversation was BRP I just automatically connected "their" to BRP.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

One of my riding buddies was ready to "upgrade" his 2015 RTL for a new RTL. The problems, confusion, and lack of user-friendliness of the BRP Connect system dissuaded from making the purchase. He is keeping his 2015. Sale lost.....! BRP, are you listening.....? Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Truth be told, I'm not all that upset about the whole issue to be honest. I never bought my 2018 RTL because it had a dashboard I could connect a cell phone or GPS to. I never used a GPS on my previous 2-wheel Honda for the 5 years and 85K miles I rode it. I had a Bluetooth helmet and my iPhone and could listen to music, make/receive phone calls while riding, and get voice directions from Google Maps if I wanted them. But I never used a GPS "look at a map" thing while riding 'cos I wasn't going to do that while on the bike. And it might be just me, but when the day comes I can't look at a map between gas stops and remember where I need to go for 200 miles or less without getting so lost I might get killed, it's time for me to quit riding all together (how the heck did we EVER get anywhere before GPS?). I've lost track of how many times I was following someone who was using their GPS to guide us, and we would get the infamous "In 800 feet make a U-turn then...". If I had a real navigator sitting on my pax seat who kept doing that, I'd throw them off the bike and make them walk. Significant other, friend, or not.

I now have the same iPhone, and my Cardo Freecom4+ on my helmet does all of the above, plus has it's own FM radio receiver, and has voice control for all of it. I never have to look at any map or even take my hands off the handlebars while riding with it. My iPhone gets plugged into the rear top case bluetoothed to my helmet and I never touch it while I'm riding the Spyder.

As for BRP losing sales, I can relate to that. The main and ONLY reason I never bought a Gold Wing was because Honda held all their owners hostage with the "Tier" system of accessories for one. I wanted ABS on any bike I ride. To get it on a Wing I HAD to "buy" lower-tiered XM Radio and GPS first, for an additional few thousand dollars. I didn't want either of those. I wanted the ABS SAFETY item, which was the LAST tier of a Gold Wing. So Honda wouldn't let me buy a SAFETY item without forcing me to buy a subscription radio service and a subscription GPS service first. So I never spent ANY money on a Wing. BRP might be losing sales to older Spyder owners who won't trade up, and even first time Spyder wannabes because of the BRP Connect problem too. BRP's loss if so.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

From reading all these issues, I'm leery of looking at an '18+ model. The cost is a bit more than I wanted, but '18s can be had for a decent price. But I'd rather not deal with a bunch of known issues up front. I have to agree with Falcon AF (fellow USAF or not) I'm not likely to pair my phone (Fandroid here) to the bike, nor am I apt to use GPS while riding. getting lost is half the fun. Still, if they haven't gotten it right by now, what else is going on? Also, I'm not impressed by my local dealer, so updates would be an issue.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FalconAF View Post
    As for BRP losing sales, I can relate to that. The main and ONLY reason I never bought a Gold Wing was because Honda held all their owners hostage with the "Tier" system of accessories for one. I wanted ABS on any bike I ride. To get it on a Wing I HAD to "buy" lower-tiered XM Radio and GPS first, for an additional few thousand dollars. I didn't want either of those. I wanted the ABS SAFETY item, which was the LAST tier of a Gold Wing. So Honda wouldn't let me buy a SAFETY item without forcing me to buy a subscription radio service and a subscription GPS service first. So I never spent ANY money on a Wing. BRP might be losing sales to older Spyder owners who won't trade up, and even first time Spyder wannabes because of the BRP Connect problem too. BRP's loss if so.
    The above hits on exactly why I am upset with BRP. We all paid good money for the BRP Connect Dash and it simply does not work. If BRP would refund $1K for an inferior dash (know will never happen), I would be less bothered. As is though, I would really like to get what I paid for. Overall, the Spyder is a great product, but just as Honda has done with the Goldwing, they charge you for electronics that don't work (The Nav system specifically, which I can say 1st hand is worse than my 1st Ten Garmin years back).

I installed a Garmin Nav on my Spyder last week, actually a BMW Navigator V from a previous bike. And like others, will stream from my phone to get music. But would be very nice if the purchased product worked instead! Really hoping that BRP shows some customer care and at least tries to fix major issues.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    From reading all these issues, I'm leery of looking at an '18+ model. The cost is a bit more than I wanted, but '18s can be had for a decent price. But I'd rather not deal with a bunch of known issues up front. I have to agree with Falcon AF (fellow USAF or not) I'm not likely to pair my phone (Fandroid here) to the bike, nor am I apt to use GPS while riding. getting lost is half the fun. Still, if they haven't gotten it right by now, what else is going on? Also, I'm not impressed by my local dealer, so updates would be an issue.
    Don't let the new dash deter you from buying a 2018 or 19. The issues have to do with the latest and greatest features that the older dash was not able to anyways. The newer dash is superior to the older style in a lot of ways. The display is clearer with a lot more info displayed or available. A lot easier to navigate then the old dash. All this without ever connecting a smartphone or helmet headset.

Now if you wish to BT pair a phone and helmet headset to the dash. With the 2018-19 you can and it works extremely well. With the exception of FM and AUX audio source could not be sent to the helmet headset. That has now been corrected with the latest update of the dash software. With 2017 and older dash. You sort of maybe can connect by BT with very expensive accessory addons that did not work very well. With less functionality. Been there done that.

The problem comes when you want to use the BRP Connect features. That means you have to have a smartphone, iphone or android. Connected using the usb cable. That are located in not ideal locations. The compatible apps are limited. They may not work as expected. The compatible apps may require a one time fee(s) to use. The early software levels of the dash had a lot of bugs tied to the Connect features, but have been mostly corrected.

Now if you must have an integrated CB system from BRP. Then the newer dash is not for you. But for most users it will work just fine. But BRP Connect is a bit of a disappointment based on the marketing hype.

I don't use BRP Connect. I do pair my phone and helmet headset to the dash. That works very well. I have my phone mounted to the handle bars. That way I can use any app I want. On a bigger screen.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

It's not the same as what I described about the Gold Wing. As billybovine said, there is NOTHING wrong with the new digital dash itself. It works fine for all the displays it is designed to show. It's the BRP Connect "app" that needs to be slaughtered and rebuilt so it will work correctly WITH the dash. But even if they don't ever fix that, my philosophy is my motorcycle is not an iPhone so if "apps" won't run correctly on it, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. The dash works fine for everything else it is designed to do and display.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

The dealer service writer tells me that that my Dash has the latest firmware... I show him I have 13.20 then I have to explain it to him that the latest version is 20.8, he asks the tech comes back and says the tech plugged in and it did not take an update so what should we do.
    I have to tell him to call BRP and ask them how to get 20.8 on their computer.. so they are gonna call on Monday
    If I could do it I wouldnt need the dealer... and they tried to charge me for an alignment when Ive only had it 3 weeks and it always puled to the right. I like you should check that **** before giving to the customer.
    1 Free Laser Alignment later and she rides like a whole new monster. No more bobbing back and forth in the lane very stable now.
    2018 F3 Limited , Stock Doc Humphrys Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Hello,

If you are experiencing concerns with your BRP connect, we invite you to email us at brp.care@brp.com or call us at 1-888-272-9222. We would be happy to look into it and see what we can do to assist.

Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Vanessa-BRPcare
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hello,

If you are experiencing concerns with your BRP connect, we invite you to email us at brp.care@brp.com or call us at 1-888-272-9222. We would be happy to look into it and see what we can do to assist.

Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Vanessa-BRPcare
    Thanks you Vanessa. It's reassuring to know that BRP is listening and inviting customers to contact you directly with these BRP Connect concerns. I'm hoping for an update to make it more user friendly.

RC
    2018 Spyder RT Limited
    Asphalt Gray
    Can Am Passenger Armrests
    Can Am Comfort Seat
    Spyder Accessories Floating Footpegs
    Utopia Driver Backrest
    Bajaron Sway Bar
    Sena 20s Bluetooth
    Lidlocks Helmet Holders
    F4 Tall and Wide Tinted Windshield
    Fobo Tire Monitor
    Lamonster Spyderdock Cell Phone Holder
    Sheepskin Seat Cover
    Drink2Go Cup Holders
    Magic Mirror
    Can Am Trailer Hitch
    Missing Belt Guard

Wish List - LED Headlights and Fog lights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hello,

Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Vanessa-BRPcare
    Every time I tried emailing/calling BRPcare I got told to talk to my dealer. BRPcare does not answer tech questions and, so far, doesn't listen to what I'm asking for. They keep telling me to get answers from my dealer. BRPcare is a waste of time as all they do is work with the dealer to answer customers questions. More answers are found here on spyderlovers.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Every time I tried emailing/calling BRPcare I got told to talk to my dealer. BRPcare does not answer tech questions and, so far, doesn't listen to what I'm asking for. They keep telling me to get answers from my dealer. BRPcare is a waste of time as all they do is work with the dealer to answer customers questions. More answers are found here on spyderlovers.
    If you call enough times it gets bumped up the food chain.
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I’ve had my ‘18 for over a year and paid for the GPS apps and no extra fees for any upgrades or map downloads. Since the latest dash update (20.8) it’s great. I’ve learned how to use it and I’ve even removed the phone from on top of the dash. It doesn’t get hot in the frunk and will be out of the weather. BRO Connect is not the best but then neither is Apple Car play.
    Any communication with BRPcare is a waste of time as they don’t have the answers, they just tell you to talk to your dealer. Which is what I’ve already tried with no solution.

Two things that I’m angry about is no AM radio or CB.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

You know what's a darn shame? I just bought a 2018 RTL, and specifically asked them to update the software before I took delivery. Checked today, it is still at 010.05. Another 100 mile trip to the dealer.

You know what else is a sad story. Many of my software driven technical devices are set up so you can download firmware updates from the manufacturers website to a clean formatted thumb drive or SD card, follow the directions about insertion and power up, and easily update the device. I haven't read about that option with the Can Am brand.
    h0gr1der
    2018 RT Limited Blue/Chrome SE6 *Tri-Axis Bars*Adjustable Driver Backrest*175/55R15 Vredestein Front, 205/60R15 Vredestein Rear Tires*Baja Ron Front Spring Pre-Load Adjusters*Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover*Centramatic balancers *Garmin Zumo 595LM GPS*KOTT Grills*BajaRon swaybar*SpyderPops Alignment*Missing Belt guard*Magnetic Mirrors*Custom Rear Adjustable Shock*360° LED Headlights & Foglights*Progressive front fender turn signals
    States Visited on Less than 4 wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by h0gr1der View Post
    You know what else is a sad story. Many of my software driven technical devices are set up so you can download firmware updates from the manufacturers website to a clean formatted thumb drive or SD card, follow the directions about insertion and power up, and easily update the device. I haven't read about that option with the Can Am brand.
    It might be sad, but it's realistic if you understand some of the reasons it isn't done that way for many "devices" like cars too. Once you give the end-user the ability to access the programming of the "device", all kinds of fun (and illegal) things can start happening. Like rolling back the digital odometer display on the vehicle prior to reselling it to someone. Not everyone would know how to do that, but someone with say 26 years of professional IT experience who also worked Computer Security (*cough* *cough*) could easily find a resourceful 13-year old on the Internet who could "hack" or "crack" the "device" for you. Just ask the DoD the ages of some of the teenagers who "hacked" into classified networks "for the fun of it".

Giving the "owner" the ability to update firmware and software on their home computer or smartphone or GPS device is one thing. Doing it for an entire vehicle that uses a computer based technology for darn near everything on the vehicle is totally different, with associated consequences that may not be good for the owner themselves (re: safety items controlled by the vehicle itself) or things like tampering with recorded data the vehicle keeps (odometer records, etc).
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Heck, I would be happy if they just made it so the ipod would plug in and work like on our 2011 RT's or better yet just make it so I can plug in a thumb drive...
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    Heck, I would be happy if they just made it so the ipod would plug in and work like on our 2011 RT's or better yet just make it so I can plug in a thumb drive...
    Well what you say is true. There is another way. Your goal is to have your own tunes on your Spyder. Just load all of your tunes on your phone. BT pair your phone with the dash. Tell your phone to start playing your tunes. Done. Don't have to plug anything in if you don't want to. The song title and artist are displayed on the dash. Skip to the next track or replay from the handlebar controls.

So really losing the ability to plug in a ipod or usb thumb drive is just not a problem.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

BRP connect is worst app ever! have tried any number of times without success. Dealer is as lost as I am.
    have just decided to forget it and use helmet bluetooth with ani touch for music.
    BTW, maps cost about $50. Told by dealer BRP would reimburse, but that turned out to be for RT purchases; I got an F3T.