Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle Camping gear

For those of you who camp, basics, a small tent, bag, pad. Any recommendations on brands with regards to $$$ and compactness. A cot rather than pad may be option as well, lots of options and reviews, just would rather get some input to people with spyders who actually use the gear.
    2016 RT Limited - Hicklin Powersport (Des Moines, IA)

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    Ron Bandy Motorcycle Driving Course - ronbandy.com
    1000A Battery Pack, Air Pack, Black Dymond Detailer
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

I'd suggest spending some time at an outfitter, such as Cabelas or REI and picking the brains of their well qualified staff. If you want quality gear that will last, you will pay $$$. If you choose Walmart or similar, you'll be replacing gear every season. Don't worry too much about weight, if you're using the Spyder as transport, but bulk will become an issue. Get a tent that accomodates 1 person more than you need. Just you, get a 2-man, 2 persons, get a 3-man, etc. Decide if you're cooking or heating meals and gear up accordingly. I prefer the comfort of a cot with a pad, as you're off the cold ground and not concerned about the friendliness of insects. Get a really good sleeping bag that's designed for the temperatures you're likely to encounter. A good night's sleep is priceless. Have fun.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Spyder Garage

Hammock tents & or inflatable what I'm looking into now myself FYI. Some interesting options
    IMG_7144.jpg & more Motocycle friendly for packing sorry i have not narrowed it down or have any reviews to share as of yet. Link to one I could find in mess of notes quickly
    https://www.cruaoutdoors.com/

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I agree with Nautibrit and strongly second his recommendation about REI. I have not used my lightweight camping gear on my Spyder but have made two self-contained transcontinental bicycle camping trips plus others of extended duration on the eastern seaboard. I also agree with him on getting a tent for one more than yourself. I personally found a hammock good for nothing more than a power nap and uncomfortable for a good night's sleep. I carried my camping gear in an Ortlieb dry bag athwartships on my rear bicycle rack above the panniers and it fits perfectly behind me on my Spyder strapped to the passenger hand grips. With a good pad you shouldn't need a folding cot inside a floored tent.
    Last edited by JayBros; 03-17-2018 at 01:50 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default How old are your bones

I bought a cot several years ago because sleeping on the floor, even with a mat, was not comfortable. The new Helix cots are taller, like getting out of a regular bed, but very pricey. It was also important to me to be able to stand up in my tent. Not fond of slithering in to my pants. I've gone through a couple of tents. Currently have a Redverz and like it. Send me a PM if you are interested in buying a Big Bertha Bunkhouse 4. If you are cooking in the wild there is a wide variety of dehydrated foods to choose from. I bought a Jet Boil and love it. Don't forget a collapsible water jug. Not every campsite has a spigot.

REI is really the best source of lots of information.

Mary

Spyder Garage

Check into the items that backpackers use for lightweight and compactness. As been stated already find a tent that is a person bigger than you need WITH a nice rain fly and a footprint (ground cover) to go under it. I have been happy with my Coleman air mattress, but their not for everyone. Get a pillow, money well spent as well. Spend the money now and be comfortable later. That $100 you saved on your inexpensive tent won't keep you warm or dry at 2:30 in the morning when that thunderstorm comes through. The small items like the pillow or ground cloth that seem unnecessary will prove to be the things that you miss the most. My wife prefers camping at a Holiday Inn, but my solo trips always involve my camping stuff.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Default . . . the above AND

Aerostich . . .

We have the cots they carry - 'high-tech ultralite cot'. Daughter and family currently have them and are thrilled. Packs small and light.

Aerostich.com / camping . . . .
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Closest REI is bout 100 miles away, seems a roadtrip is in my future.
    2016 RT Limited - Hicklin Powersport (Des Moines, IA)

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    Ron Bandy Motorcycle Driving Course - ronbandy.com
    1000A Battery Pack, Air Pack, Black Dymond Detailer
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Every comment above.............

comes from experienced campers. REI A+, Jet Boil, a must on a cold day. Don't skimp on your sleeping gear. A poor nights sleep ruins the next day. Like getting a 2 person tent for 1 person, get a sleeping bag rated for lower temps than what you'll encounter. You can always unzip to let heat out, but it doesn't work the other way around. If you're not intending on getting wet go with down, it there's a chance of getting wet go with synthetic fill.

Spyder Garage

I used to do a lot of "wilderness" canoeing. There, everything was based on lightness and functionality. Every ounce counted. We had to carry it on our backs between lakes--including the canoe, paddles, fishing gear and food items.

Transferring the ideas to motorcycle camping make it easier. At least you don't have to carry it--just put it on or in the bike.

Eureka basic tent. Blow up 3/4 size air mats. Not the big air matresses. Down filled sleeping bags. They will compress to the size of a soccer ball. A single burner gas fired stove for the morning coffee. A folding bowsaw for down and dead campfire wood. Use a campfire for the rest. A nesting cook set. How big? What do you plan to cook? There are a gazillion "other" things--but you will find the above a basic list. Items not used every trip? Put them on the disposable list.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-17-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just put your "Toad" in the garage of your toyhauler, and hit the road!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle Camping gear

Potato chips
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

Agree with the comments so far on tent size, getting better quality equipment etc.

For the sleeping mat I have a 'self inflating' one. With this you just open a valve and leave it while you get on with other stuff and then close the value up once its expanded. its goes from 1/6" to 1" in thickness and its surprisingly comfortable. You can blow in a bit more air if required but normally don't need to. When its time to pack-up you just open the value and roll it up carefully, letting the air push out through the value. These a couple of advantages. firstly they pack up nice and small. But more importantly they contain a honeycomb foam that expands when the air is let in they have very good insulation factor as you don't have air moving under you - I've camped out in -15C (5F) at the Brass Monkey Rally with one of these and its worked well. The make I've got is Katmandu but I imagine there's similar in the US.

I also carry a small, very heavy duty tarp. Its called a Matador Surface (https://matadorup.com/products/matador-surface). This is something my wife got for me, I would never have thought of it myself, and its been invaluable. Just chuck it down and you've got a dry place to sit, cook, etc. regardless of how wet/muddy/snowy the ground is. The pocket on it is also more useful than you'd think it will be.

On the stove side I personally like my old Optimus Nova as it packs up small and uses very little petrol (can run petrol, lamp oil etc). However that sort of stove is a bit fiddly to use so I can understand why the Jet ones have become popular recently.

I carry the tarp and the stove (plus water, coffee and soup) with me all the time, even if I'm not planning to camp. So in some middle of no where place with a fantastic view I can stop a while in comfort to enjoy it.
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 03-17-2018 at 11:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Agree with the comments so far on tent size, getting better quality equipment etc.

For the sleeping mat I have a 'self inflating' one. With this you just open a valve and leave it while you get on with other stuff and then close the value up once its expanded. its goes from 1/6" to 1" in thickness and its surprisingly comfortable. You can blow in a bit more air if required but normally don't need to. When its time to pack-up you just open the value and roll it up carefully, letting the air push out through the value. These a couple of advantages. firstly they pack up nice and small. But more importantly they contain a honeycomb foam that expands when the air is let in they have very good insulation factor as you don't have air moving under you - I've camped out in -15C (5F) at the Brass Monkey Rally with one of these and its worked well. The make I've got is Katmandu but I imagine there's similar in the US.

I also carry a small, very heavy duty tarp. Its called a Matador Surface (https://matadorup.com/products/matador-surface). This is something my wife got for me, I would never have thought of it myself, and its been invaluable. Just chuck it down and you've got a dry place to sit, cook, etc. regardless of how wet/muddy/snowy the ground is. The pocket on it is also more useful than you'd think it will be.

On the stove side I personally like my old Optimus Nova as it packs up small and uses very little petrol to use (can run petrol, lamp oil etc). However that sort of stove is a bit fiddly to use so I can understand why the Jet ones have become popular recently.

I carry the tarp and the stove (plus water, coffee and soup) with me all the time, even if I'm not planning to camp. So in some middle of no where place with a fantastic view I can stop a while in comfort to enjoy it.
    Bingo, bingo on the tarp(s). One for a ground cloth (under the tent) and one to put over the main area in case of rain. Makes a big difference for comfort. About 10 pieces of 12 ft rope for the overhead tarp. I used to call it "tarpology." I got to where I could hang a functional tarp most anyplace.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-17-2018 at 07:42 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last moto-camping trip, I had the following: Jet-Boil stove, MSR fuel bottles, a set of lightweight nesting pot/skillet/spork, goose down sleeping bag, Big Agnes self inflating sleeping pad, 3 person tent with rain fly (for 2 riders and their gear), groundcloth, fire starters, Petzl LED head lamps. I cannot recommend that last item enough - great for when your ride goes long and you're setting up camp in fading light. What we couldn't pack in the frunk we stuffed into a waterproof rafting dry bag; perfect for keeping rain out. Oh yeah.. stuff sacks.. lots of stuff sacks for compressing clothes etc. Also a pair of flip flops are great for after ride around camp.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Just make sure you REALLY want to camp. I carried camping stuff on my annual solo motorcycle trips for 10 years before retirement. Got to know a lot of motels along the way. Ended up giving the camping geer away..... unused after 10 years of packing it around. Come to think of it, I might still have my new sleeping bag......somewhere.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When traveling alone on any motorcycle I would rather camp than stay in any motel. Years ago when my wife went with me she did not like to camp we always stay in motels. She stopped riding in 2004 and I have been camping every since. I usually go to El Paso, Texas every September and that is about the only time I stay in a motel. I usually ride about 700 miles a day when I go their so I don't feel like setting up a tent. I am always alone and you meet a lot of friendly people in camp grounds. I go to Sturgis every year and it is hard to find motels their. I have a three man tent, air mattress and good sleeping bag and that is all I need. This all fits in one small pack that fasten on the passenger seat. I eat out so I don't need a stove and coffee pot. At Sturgis I will stay in one camp ground for two or three nights but other wise I stay one night and move on. It takes less than a half hour to set up or tear down.
    Last edited by gerald37; 03-17-2018 at 09:36 PM.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Oh yes.........

One of the most important items to take along on a motorcycle camping trip is a fully loaded Visa card.

Spyder Garage

Join us for all the info the you seek about camping and gear.
    My Spyder is a 2013 STS. I carry my gear and chair in Dry bag tied across the Pillion seat

http://motocampers.com/

I have a 4 man tent and sleeping bag from Cabella's.
    Wide sizze Go-Kot to keep off the ground.
    Carry a chair from Walmart. It fits in the tent for use on rainy days.
    Have a light weight 10x10 tarp to pitch for cover over the tent an eating area.
    Also carry LED lights and assorted cooking gear + an alcohol stove.
    Last but not least is a battery to power my CPAP. CPAP is carried in a case on the sport rack.
    My gear has evolved to become a very useful and comfortable kit.
    Decent gear doesn't have to cost a fortune.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    ... I eat out so I don't need a stove and coffee pot...
    What no Bacon Sarnies with HP sauce cooked on a camp stove?! The main reason I camp so I have an excuse to eat those for breakfast:-)

Active Member CarolinaSpyderRyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default If it's just you

I have a Eureka solitaire 1 Person backpacking tent. I fits right in the frunk of my RSS. It is easy to set up. It stands up very well to the weather.
    2014 RSS , Sunburst Yellow and Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    One of the most important items to take along on a motorcycle camping trip is a fully loaded Visa card.
    I agree. There is a lot to be said for a good nites sleep in a cheap motel with a hot shower and a cafe next door. My old bones and health issues don't like sleeping on the ground anymore. So a visa card is nice to have.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    What no Bacon Sarnies with HP sauce cooked on a camp stove?! The main reason I camp so I have an excuse to eat those for breakfast:-)
    Damn... that sounds almost too good to be true...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris View Post
    For those of you who camp, basics, a small tent, bag, pad. Any recommendations on brands with regards to $$$ and compactness. A cot rather than pad may be option as well, lots of options and reviews, just would rather get some input to people with spyders who actually use the gear.
    You didn't say ... are you single or two up?

Are you planning on cooking or are you like me and find cooking just that one task too many when camping? Too much stuff to haul. And I like my Starbucks in the morning :-)

I find that a three man tent is OK for one but you really need a four man tent for two. That way you can drag your packs, boots and helmets in at night, safe and out of the elements. The other bonus is that you can sort of semi-stand up to pull your pants on in the morning ...

Spyder Garage

Don't forget food here's a lil something shared not too long ago but I've lost the thread
    https://2x2cycles.com/2x2-cycles-motogrill/ lil DIY & it will work

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack