Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Another bone head move by United Airlines...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default United Airlines

I am an animal lover ...... However United Airlines is required by law to hire STUPID PEOPLE .... I think throwing that flight attendant to a pack of wolves might be appropriate, but laying the blame on the company the has to hire Idiots isn't fair ........... lay the blame where it belongs .....jmho ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

The stupidness that did this should be required to fly ny to fl in a window seat, LOOKING IN.

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I am an animal lover ...... However United Airlines is required by law to hire STUPID PEOPLE .... I think throwing that flight attendant to a pack of wolves might be appropriate, but laying the blame on the company the has to hire Idiots isn't fair ........... lay the blame where it belongs .....jmho ..... Mike
    Maybe it was poor training. But, since you want to take this to a different direction, what law are you referring to?

It looks like United took full responsibility. That was a smart move on their part, so as not to look like a bad company by throwing an employee to the wolves.

Spyder Garage

I'm sorry. There's know way in hell I'd let them stick my dog in a overhead compartment.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I feel sorry for that little "Frenchie"
    It was a horrible way to die: alone, and in the dark: gasping for air!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i saw on news this morning, the stewardess should be criminally charged & civilly sued.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm in agreement with all the above......

However, is there no responsibility here for the owner to question or refuse the obvious nonsensical order to stow the dog in the overhead? Just the thought of this incident makes me so angry I could just.............well, I'll leave it at that.

Spyder Garage

Default Different Direction

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Maybe it was poor training. But, since you want to take this to a different direction, what law are you referring to?

It looks like United took full responsibility. That was a smart move on their part, so as not to look like a bad company by throwing an employee to the wolves.
    Then maybe should have identified this Thread you started with " United Airlines steps up " ................ Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Owner responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    However, is there no responsibility here for the owner to question or refuse the obvious nonsensical order to stow the dog in the overhead? Just the thought of this incident makes me so angry I could just.............well, I'll leave it at that.
    .... there was a lot of screw-ups on this , but news article said the owner was not Proficient in English , I'm not saying they are off the hook, but there were extenuating circumstances ....... Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    However, is there no responsibility here for the owner to question or refuse the obvious nonsensical order to stow the dog in the overhead?
    According to her 11-year old daughter the woman told the stew there was a dog in the crate and protested but the stew insisted.

I would have asked to speak to the captain first and then deplaned if the captain didn't resolve the issue.

I hope they fire the stew and fine the airline a gazillion dollars.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Then maybe should have identified this Thread you started with " United Airlines steps up " ................ Mike
    They stepped up hoping to not get another black eye; a weak attempt to try to make themselves look good. I agree with Rincon.

You're right, I should have identified the thread...United steps up, trying to save their a$$.
    Last edited by wyliec; 03-14-2018 at 01:38 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup: The lawyers are gonna make a KILLING with this case...
    This should easily go for the policy limits, and you can "stick a fork" in that Flight Attendant: she's done!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Yup: The lawyers are gonna make a KILLING with this case...
    This should easily go for the policy limits, and you can "stick a fork" in that Flight Attendant: she's done!
    I hope they do make a killing. In addition to firing the flight attendant, have her do mandatory service at the local animal shelters cleaning up.
    Last edited by wyliec; 03-14-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope they do make a killing. In addition to firing the flight attendant, have her do mandatory service at the local animal shelters cleaning up.

Drop The Mic.jpg

Spyder Garage

Before you all go crazy, can someone explain the difference between stowing the dog at the feet or in the overhead compartment ????? I don't see the difference ?????

You can't seriously think there was no oxygen in the overhead bin ?????

If I was United, I would demand a autopsy and see if the bag was a dog approved carrier. The bag could have killed the dog because it surly wasn't the lack of oxygen in the overhead bin.
    Something doesn't pass the "sniff" test here.
    Last edited by Holly; 03-14-2018 at 02:10 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Those bins are dark, noisy, and the airflow is pretty close to nil...
    While they're not airtight: the lack of unrestricted airflow is what killed that puppy..
    The more scared it got: the faster it's heart beat... needing even MORE oxygen.

Spyder Garage

Those bins are dark, noisy, and the airflow is pretty close to nil...
    While they're not airtight: the lack of unrestricted airflow is what killed that puppy..
    The more scared it got: the faster it's heart beat... needing even MORE oxygen.

I call BS on there not being enough oxygen in the overhead bin.

The bag itself was dark and by your own guess the dog got nervous/scared and IMO most likely stroked out on it's own.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you wouldn't put a baby up there: it's no place for a puppy either.

You can't deny that any living critter that's scared; ends up needing more oxygen...
    Those compartments just don't have enough airflow into them. They're not sealed, but you're looking at a vastly reduced amount of air available to anything that's been put into one.

You can breathe through a soda straw: until you get a bit flustered...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 03-14-2018 at 02:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Bonehead Move

Where did they put the Spyder?

Spyder Garage

Sad indeed. Most of the comments are based on speculation. We were not there. A great news bit. Some lawyer will make a killing. And nobody wins. United the company, is stepping up. The flight attendant is probably toast.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If you wouldn't put a baby up there: it's no place for a puppy either.

You can't deny that any living critter that's scared; ends up needing more oxygen...
    Those compartments just don't have enough airflow into them. They're not sealed, but you're looking at a vastly reduced amount of air available to anything that's been put into one.

Right now we are speculating without facts. That easy could be sorted out with an oxygen meter during the investigation. I'm guessing there would be the same amount of air metered in or out of the bin.

I would defiantly want to do the o2 tests with the bag also. The bag itself could have caused the critter to be scared and it could possibly be responsible for the restricted air. After looking at the video, it looks like a regular bag. The flight attendant said this also. We only can guess until all the facts come out.

I do understand you are a dog lover and your basing part of your distain on feelings. There is nothing wrong with that and I completely understand. I'm wanting to know the medical part of it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Before you all go crazy, can someone explain the difference between stowing the dog at the feet or in the overhead compartment ????? I don't see the difference ?????

You can't seriously think there was no oxygen in the overhead bin ?????

If I was United, I would demand a autopsy and see if the bag was a dog approved carrier. The bag could have killed the dog because it surly wasn't the lack of oxygen in the overhead bin.
    Something doesn't pass the "sniff" test here.

you usually make good points, this time-not so much.
    Putting the dog under the seat in front of where the owner of the dog is sitting is the required way to have dogs on a United flight -look it up.
    The dog in the bag would not have gotten past TSA if the bag were not approved-you can't just stuff Poopsie in a carry on and stroll through the gate and down the aisle.
    How do you know "it surly wasn't the lack of oxygen in the overhead bin"?. You do not know that to be a fact.
    The dog died because of ignorance. The flight attendant and the dog's owner both exhibited this.
    Last edited by ofdave; 03-14-2018 at 03:46 PM.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Right now we are speculating without facts. That easy could be sorted out with an oxygen meter during the investigation. I'm guessing there would be the same amount of air metered in or out of the bin.

I would defiantly want to do the o2 tests with the bag also. The bag itself could have caused the critter to be scared and it could possibly be responsible for the restricted air. After looking at the video, it looks like a regular bag. The flight attendant said this also. We only can guess until all the facts come out.

I do understand you are a dog lover and your basing part of your distain on feelings. There is nothing wrong with that and I completely understand. I'm wanting to know the medical part of it.
    This is from a retired airline pilot, after the first sentence:

"In a statement United said: "This was a tragic accident that should never have occurred, as pets should never be placed in the overhead bin. We assume full responsibility for this tragedy and express our deepest condolences."
    Retired airline captain Denny Kelly says the pitch-black overhead bin is dangerous for any live animal.
    "There is no circulation at all in there," Kelly said. "They're scared, their heart rate goes up and they use more oxygen. And there's not enough oxygen in the first place, that just makes it worse."
    The American Kennel Club says a French bulldog's short face can make its breathing less efficient, and the animals stress easily, increasing their need to breathe."

As to what you mentioned about the pet carrier used, it certainly does not look like what we have for our dog. Of course that's just from looking at the picture/video. Ours has mesh for airflow/breathing; it's not all mesh, and is airline approved. I certainly cannot add to anything the retired pilot said.

Why does it matter whether it died from lack of oxygen, or its heart gave out? If it had been left under the seat and died, the flight attendant (which is considered United Airlines when working) would not be at fault. If the bag was not approved for airline travel, the family should have been made to leave. I'm sorry, I still have to question whether I'm talking to Holly or Randy. This is where you come back and say- why does it matter?
    Last edited by wyliec; 03-14-2018 at 03:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

This is from a retired airline pilot, after the first sentence:

"In a statement United said: "This was a tragic accident that should never have occurred, as pets should never be placed in the overhead bin. We assume full responsibility for this tragedy and express our deepest condolences."
    Retired airline captain Denny Kelly says the pitch-black overhead bin is dangerous for any live animal.
    "There is no circulation at all in there," Kelly said. "They're scared, their heart rate goes up and they use more oxygen. And there's not enough oxygen in the first place, that just makes it worse."
    The American Kennel Club says a French bulldog's short face can make its breathing less efficient, and the animals stress easily, increasing their need to breathe."

As to what you mentioned about the pet carrier used, it certainly does not look like what we have for our dog. Of course that's just from looking at the picture/video. Ours has mesh for airflow/breathing; it's not all mesh, and is airline approved. I certainly cannot add to anything the retired pilot said.

Why does it matter whether it died from lack of oxygen, or its heart gave out? If it had been left under the seat and died, the flight attendant (which is considered United Airlines when working) would not be at fault. If the bag was not approved for airline travel, the family should have been made to leave. I'm sorry, I still have to question whether I'm talking to Holly or Randy. This is where you come back and say- why does it matter?

I understand the airline is taking full responsibility, but if I were them I would investigate everything and hire a legal team with plenty of experts. Taking responsibility could put out the public firestorm now, but as far as settling legally with the owners would be a different story. It could be the difference of a lot of money.

The pet carrier IMO made the darkness, it looks like a regular soft solid bag.
    Dog scared, IMO not airlines fault and that could very well be an excellent legal defense from airline.

Now comes the question of amount of air in the overhead bin....... Only a expert and metered test results would determine the amount of air in the bin. I wouldn't take the opinion of a retired pilot on this. This would be a key factor of who would win the case.

Back in the day when you paid by the carload to go to the drive-in movies or amusement parks we stuffed 5 to 6 people in the trunk of a car (when cars were 15' long). They all had air. IMO similar..........

BTW, wouldn't you like to know......
    Last edited by Holly; 03-14-2018 at 05:03 PM.