Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    My suggestion would be to find a friend that has a Spyder and loves it to ride yours. They could probably give an honest opinion if it is the Spyder or if it is you. But the bottom line is if you are not happy with it, get rid of it!
    This is IMHO the best suggestion of all. For that matter, go to the dealer and let them ride your Spyder and see what they think. And maybe have them ride it as passenger and with you as the driver. And while you're there, try out a brand-new Spyder for yourself and see if you have the same issues with it.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    This is IMHO the best suggestion of all. For that matter, go to the dealer and let them ride your Spyder and see what they think. And maybe have them ride it as passenger and with you as the driver. And while you're there, try out a brand-new Spyder for yourself and see if you have the same issues with it.
    Excellent advice. Let us know what you think after you've done this.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    On my wife's Cognac, I did have Squared Away fix the previous laser alignment the first owner had done at one of the well-regarded dealers in the mid-West...
    I know a lot people don't think very many people are capable of laser alignment. Most of the dealers to not have mechanics that understand the alignment and would take the time. I was a mechanic, machinist and tool & die maker for over 30 years. Since 1956 I have been in manufacturing management and sales. All you have to do is line the front wheels with the rear. It is real important on three wheels.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

By myself i ride balls to the wall , with the wife on diff. story . found higher pressure looser ride .
    2013 sts , Pure Magnesium

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    replaced all three tires with car tires.
    What brand and model are your new tires ??

Since you did that AFTER the alignment, did you notice that the new tires made much difference ??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

go to the dealer and let them ride your Spyder and see what they think.

And while you're there, try out a brand-new Spyder for yourself and see if you have the same issues with it.
    I doubt that there is anybody at most dealerships that you can trust to give an honest, and informed, opinion.

Mine is "brand new".

I'm in a riding group with several other Spyders. I think switching rides for a test would be a good idea.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All you have to do is line the front wheels with the rear. It is real important on three wheels.
    Pretty sure that is NOT ALL you need to do for a good alignment.
    Toe and caster/camber should be pretty important too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Pretty sure that is NOT ALL you need to do for a good alignment. Toe and caster/camber should be pretty important too.
    Caster and camber are not included in the laser alignment. Toe in / out is about it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The rear tire should NOT have toe or camber or castor settings other than zero.

Spyder Garage

I doubt that there is anybody at most dealerships that you can trust to give an honest, and informed, opinion.

Mine is "brand new".

I'm in a riding group with several other Spyders. I think switching rides for a test would be a good idea.
    Switching rides is a great idea. Also, I know you're right about the dealer not being objective, but what's it cost to ask? Plus, the dealer's lack of objectivity doesn't apply if you "try out a brand-new Spyder for yourself and see if you have the same issues with it." I know you have a new 2017 -- what I meant was to try out a DIFFERENT new Spyder from the dealer's inventory and see if you have the same issues. If the dealer's new Spyder doesn't have the same issues, that pretty much conclusively proves there's something wrong with yours.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    But I think you could probably reasonably safely assume that if the rear tire on your Spyder DOES have any other readings for any of those specs, then there's a pretty good chance you WILL be experiencing some 'unstable feelings in your ride'!!

Or maybe not... After all, we all know about that 'YMMV' thing, and some do feel differently about their rydes!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What brand and model are your new tires ??

Since you did that AFTER the alignment, did you notice that the new tires made much difference ??
    Replaced Front tires Federal AZ01 165-55/R15
    Rear tire With General Altimax TR43 215-60/R15

There may be better replacements but I sure like the way these ride and handle. Front with 16 to 18 lbs. and rear 24 to 26 lbs. I have tire monitoring so when riding rear goes up to 28 to 30 lbs. and front goes up to 19 to 20 lbs. When it gets warmer I may drop the pressure 2 to three lbs.
    Yes on alignment the alignment made the biggest different of all. Not all Spyders seem to be out very far but it don't take much. The heavier load on the bike makes a big difference. Like I have said before I ride alone and weight 150 lbs. The more weight you are caring give it a little more toe in. Right now mine has about 1/4" toe in if I was over 200 or caring two people I would have about 1/2" toe. That what is nice if you can do it your self experiment a little. It don't take any time to change it.
    Last edited by gerald37; 03-25-2018 at 07:06 PM.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Switching rides is a great idea. Also, I know you're right about the dealer not being objective, but what's it cost to ask? Plus, the dealer's lack of objectivity doesn't apply if you "try out a brand-new Spyder for yourself and see if you have the same issues with it." I know you have a new 2017 -- what I meant was to try out a DIFFERENT new Spyder from the dealer's inventory and see if you have the same issues. If the dealer's new Spyder doesn't have the same issues, that pretty much conclusively proves there's something wrong with yours.
    If you could ride one that someone has had a laser alignment done on would be an even better test.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine is "brand new".

I have rode two other Spyders. They both were better than mind was until I did all the changing on it. The two people that had purchase my 2015 before got rid of it because the way it rode and handled. I got a good buy on it. I knew Cam Am would built infernal product. The 17 that I road handled good but the tires need balanced. It did not seem to wander but vibrated. It was probable the tires. If I purchased a new one today I would take it straight home put new car tires on it, Laser align, Doc's belt tension, the Centramatic balance on the rear, magic mirrors and have the front tire balance with a good balancer. I am sure not sorry I purchased it.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think everyone knows that. The handling comes from wheel alignment. For that you measure off the rear wheel. My Camber & Caster has always been fine. That is easy with lasers.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Default Yes, yes I do!

And you think THAT qualifies you to tell all the rest of us to "Just shut up and quit complaining." ??
    Hey you can complain all you want and again, everybody gets an opinion, just don't tell me it's a fact. FACTS as stated on this thread:

"I believe I heard 1% come from the factory aligned perfectly" Really? I call bul****. I worked in many factories, we don't push out crap and we have fixtures to make sure things are put together correctly. I met many of the line workers at the plant in Valcourt. You slander and insult those workers with that one!

"No one is arguing about the tires, they are crap" Again, because for some people they wear quickly? My Dunlops on my Yamaha never lasted more than 6000 miles. So Dunlops must be crap. My Michelins on my 300ZX only lasted 15,000 miles. Michelens must be crap. The Kendas aren't car tires, they last how long they last and then you buy new ones. All this crying about, "I had to spend a few hundred dollars for new tires for my $30,000 machine.

An oil change on my RAM is $209 every 8000 miles and guys on that forum say, "I buy $4 filters instead of the $40 OEM on ebay and use $5 a quart oil instead of the $12 a quart oil that RAM specifies for my $50,000 truck." Hell, I'll spend more money on oil changes for that then I will on tires for the Spyder. Hey, here's crazy idea, I'll use the parts recommended by the manufacturer for my very expensive toys. I'll bet their Engineers know what they are doing.

"I think the votes are about 100 to 1 against you." Where's that poll?

There. Now I feel better, how about you?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    Thanks. I know that. True for almost ANY vehicle.

So now this brings up a new question: Is the caster and camber even adjustable on the front of a Spyder ??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think everyone knows that.
    Apparently not......since a couple of folks felt a need to explain it to me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JFD View Post
    "No one is arguing about the tires, they are crap" Again, because for some people they wear quickly?

"I think the votes are about 100 to 1 against you." Where's that poll?
    No because I don't think that having radials with soft sidewalls is a good idea on a 3-wheeled highway machine.
    For me, the wear issue is secondary.

And the 100 to 1 guess is taken from those who post here and express an opinion.

I will feel better when I know I can ride my new ride without feeling apprehensive about it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No because I don't think that having radials with soft sidewalls is a good idea on a 3-wheeled highway machine.
    For me, the wear issue is secondary.

And the 100 to 1 guess is taken from those who post here and express an opinion.

I will feel better when I know I can ride my new ride without feeling apprehensive about it.
    Find some mountain roads and have fun with your Spyder.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Find some mountain roads and have fun with your Spyder.
    No mountains in Florida.

But I will be getting in a lot of miles next month on my NASCAR tour, some of that in Virginia and Tennessee.
    Should be curvy there.

It isn't curves that I have a problem with now (although it WAS a BIG problem in the beginning); it's the straights where it doesn't feel like it wants to stay straight. Hopefully an alignment next week will help.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No mountains in Florida. But I will be getting in a lot of miles next month on my NASCAR tour, some of that in Virginia and Tennessee. Should be curvy there
    That's why I said it; figured you might be fixated too much on the flat-road experience. Hope you can get your mind off it and just enjoy throwing it around the corners.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks. I know that. True for almost ANY vehicle.
    On cars with independent rear suspension there are castor and toe adjustments. Next time you see a sedan "dog tracking" down the highway you will see the effects of out of adjustment rear suspension.

NASCAR just had a big dust up about this where the constructors actually built the solid rear axle with some misalignment so that the car would move sideways down the straights and use the air to push it into corners. I don't remember what the outcome was but you can still see cars doing it.

Spyder Garage

No mountains in Florida.

But I will be getting in a lot of miles next month on my NASCAR tour, some of that in Virginia and Tennessee.
    Should be curvy there.

It isn't curves that I have a problem with now (although it WAS a BIG problem in the beginning); it's the straights where it doesn't feel like it wants to stay straight. Hopefully an alignment next week will help.
    Are you taking it to Mike Loesch? In Edgewater?
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's why I said it; figured you might be fixated too much on the flat-road experience.
    But you see the problem IS......that about 95% of my riding is straight and flat and at or near the speed limit.

Maybe getting out of that "rut" a bit will help.