Spyder Garage

Default Adventures in Texas Hill Country

The wife and I just got back from visiting San Antonio and the Texas Hill Country. We trailered the Spyder there from South Carolina. Carol just can't ride that far on the Spyder.

The first two days we did the tourist thing. Visited San Antonio on Sunday and saw the Alamo, had lunch and a boat ride at the River Walk. Also went to the Museum of the Old West. All were very interesting. Met the most aggressive drivers on the planet in San Antonio, although they seemed very organized by staying over to the right except when passing you in the left lane at 40 MPH over the speed limit. My advice is spend a day visiting the above sites and then get your butt out of town.

On Monday we rode the Guadalupe River Road near New Braunfels and had lunch in Gruene at the Gristmill Restaurant. All were very interesting, the restaurant was excellent.

On Tuesday we met our newest best friends from SL, George, Daryl, and Linda. Daryl led us on a ride around the Three Twisted Sisters. Unlike the Dragon in North Carolina which is 11 miles long, this ride was 100 miles plus 30 miles from the hotel. Carol was so worn out she took Wednesday off.

George had a little mishap with his GPS. It turned left when he turned right. We looked all over for that thing to no avail. Luckily he found it the next day.

Wednesday was the Luckenbach Loop ride. I'm not going to spoil it for you if you haven't been to Luckenbach, you'll just have to go there yourself. Daryl knows the area very well and took me on some interesting back roads. I heard that his wife sent him to the neighbor's for a cup of sugar and didn't see him for three days.

Thursday was just Carol and me visiting Fredericksburg. This is a nice little town with lots of shops (for Carol) and the Museum of the Pacific War. The museum has a wing dedicated to Admiral Nimitz who grew up in Fredericksburg. If you are ex-navy like me or just a history buff, this is one of the finest museum I had ever been to. It rivals the Marine Corp Museum at Quantico, but then, that's what the Navy does.

We got home safely. Thank you to George, Daryl, and Linda.
    Last edited by Grandpot; 03-11-2018 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Daryl led the rides.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Default hahahaha made me kind of home sick !

HECK YEAH when in texas drive like texasans , fast , it takes a while to get where you are going in the first place ! about the Alamo ! you ever wonder why the troops did not take too the high ground to defend the Alamo ? { like you know park in the 8 story building right next to the Alamo , better cover and great spot for taken out the opponents ! { o.k. just funning around } ----> quote " we rode the Guadalupe River Road near New Braunfels " man you want a fun day , july hot day , ride the river on an inner tube , or raft , and hopefully the river is up and moving Purdy fast ! fun days for sure ... glad you folks had a great time , and made it back safe ... the wife still in " resting mode" ? you must have put on over 1000 miles , unless you trailered every where ?

Spyder Garage

Fun trip! I love living here. Twisted Sisters is so fun!

Too bad you didn't do this trip in a couple weeks.... bluebonnets will be everywhere
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    Fun trip! I love living here. Twisted Sisters is so fun!

Too bad you didn't do this trip in a couple weeks.... bluebonnets will be everywhere
    I really would have enjoyed the get-together in a couple of weeks. I teach at a college and last week was our Spring Break.
    Last edited by Grandpot; 03-13-2018 at 09:10 PM.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!