Spyder Garage

Default Air Filter Removal

My manual says to access the air filter you have to remove the console assembly including the windshield and mirrors, gauge cluster and a bunch of other stuff.

Is this really necessary?

There must be an easier way to replace the air filter. I did a search but didn't see any help.

Best

Tom

Spyder Garage

Default I’ll be watching this post to learn as well

Quote Originally Posted by scubadown View Post
    My manual says to access the air filter you have to remove the console assembly including the windshield and mirrors, gauge cluster and a bunch of other stuff.

There must be an easier way to replace the air filter. I did a search but didn't see any help.

Best

Tom
    I certainly hope there is a MUCH easier way for this maintenance item...
    2016 RT-Ltd
    Bajaron swaybar
    Spyderpops trunk light
    Elka stage 2 front shocks
    Extra longbrake pedal
    brake modulator
    Centramatic wheel balancers on the front and rear.
    Rivco dual flag holder
    Tricled mirror turn signal indicators
    with American and Texas flags
    Lamonster Magic Mirrors
    missing belt guard
    Lambskin seat cover from Smokey mountain sheepskin.com
    Tricled 360 degree led Headlights
    Lamonster led fog lights
    Baker air wings
    2019 Silverado Duramax dually
    2019 Cyclone 4007 toyhauler
    Spyderpops bumpskid w led light
    Rivco brand footrest
    spydermanexhaust.com exhaust
    had my exhaust installed @ Spyder in the hills.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dmetcalf View Post
    I certainly hope there is a MUCH easier way for this maintenance item...
    For your 2016 RTL look at pg. 131 of your operator's guide for your air filter replacement procedures. Yes you have to remove some Tupperware but nowhere near that necessary for the ST.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Any guess what has to be removed on a 2013 ST-L?

Spyder Garage

I've owned only one Spyder but from my reading here on SL it seems the V-twin engines have a pretty complicated procedure to get at the air filter. My review of the operator's guides for ST MYs 2013-2016 shows nothing about getting to the air filter.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default peskie air filter hidie hole

Quote Originally Posted by scubadown View Post

Best

Tom
    I know what you folks are talking about " 2012 air filter " ---- take the right side panels off , take an inner cover off I IMG_20171110_135448.jpg forget what it looked like , think it had 2 or 3 more screws . but you can see the filter housing right there , now the fun part , unclip the housing top clips , I was not able to really raise the whole top off I had to tilt the top back , slide my fingers in side the canister area , and twist and slide the filter out , it took some doing I can tell ya , and on top of all this the filter looked like new ! slide it back in reverse style , --- after all of this , go to the medicine cabinet , get the bandaids and cover the new cat like claw marks from the tight fitting air filter ! what a nice way to say " you lover your cycle " scratched up hands , air filter placement , and couple cold beers !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Sorry you went through that. It was unnecessary. On the 2012 RT - follow the procedure in your owners manual. Page 134. LEAVE THE TOP ALONE. Three clips on the filter housing. Two tabs in slots on the back. Push the filter housing forward and pull out the filter.
    The 2013 ST-L is totally different than this.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    We NEED to know the type/ model of Spyder you are talking about ...... they aren't all the same ...... Thanks ...Mike

The OP posted the question in the ST Shop talk section so I would assume they have an ST.

Yes, removing the air filter on the ST is a PIA. I could not see how to remove the upper half of the air box without removal of the console first. Its much worse than on the RT. Its a good time to do spark plugs while everything is accessible....

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Removal on the ST is a pain but not impossible. The worst is figuring on the technique for mirror removal, once you've got that the rest is just some bolts. You can hinge the console up from the back, you don't have to remove it.
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Geeze... Wonder if it's easier to simply snake a shop vac in there.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Geeze... Wonder if it's easier to simply snake a shop vac in there.
    Ha ha, I took mine out after 10,000 miles and 3 years and it was spotless, waste of time.
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd View Post
    Ha ha, I took mine out after 10,000 miles and 3 years and it was spotless, waste of time.
    I've got 7K miles on mine. Think I'll wait awhile.

Spyder Garage

I have talked to many people with ST models, a lot of them went to replace the air filter at 16-25k to find that it was still in really nice shape. Now these people live on the east coast, south and mid west ....not is dust bowls or sandy areas.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The air filter is on the right side in front. Red circled area is where it's at. Unclip clips and move front cone away and there is it. Getting to all that is the fun part!

fullsizeoutput_a80.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    The air filter is on the right side in front. Red circled area is where it's at. Unclip clips and move front cone away and there is it. Getting to all that is the fun part!

fullsizeoutput_a80.jpg
    That was scary looking. I may have to have a couple of beers before I start that project. And I quit drinking and smoking 15 yrs ago
    Last edited by MR. H1956; 04-05-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default shop manual 2013 ST

from the shop manual : remove the following parts : console assembly, lateral console panels, upper sider panels, central panel. Release 3 retaining clips from air filter cover , push air filter cover forward to expose air filter, pull out filter.

Spyder Garage

Default Installed a K&N air filter - at 18k. Old one came out clean.

I have a 2012 RT SE5 - It was easy to replace, once I removed the tupperware. I did get confused since everything I read on line indicated that the filter was sitting on top of the engine, not really where it is - behind the coolant tank.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd View Post
    Removal on the ST is a pain but not impossible. The worst is figuring on the technique for mirror removal, once you've got that the rest is just some bolts. You can hinge the console up from the back, you don't have to remove it.
    Exactly. I tried to install a K&N filter in my '15 ST-S and had everything off until I got to the mirrors. Followed the instructions in the shop manual, tried all the tricks posted here, never could get them off. What an experience! Can't believe they couldn't have found an easier way. It is truly a PITA. Anyway, I'm having the shop put it in while I have the Spyder in for installation of my Baha Ron sway bar. Hope it's worth the trouble.
    I think I am, therefore I am. I think.
    George Carlin

'18 RT Limited Dark - Champagne
    '15 ST-S White/Orange (sold)
    '14 Ducati Monster 1200 (rear-ended)
    '12 Triumph Street Triple R (sold)
    '99 BMW R1100S (sold)
    2018 RT Limited , Champagne

Spyder Garage

When I had my STL I tried twice. The first time, I finally gave up and put everything back together. I was finally successful the second time. Once you have done it and know that the snaps are all on the outside, It just opens up like a box just wide enough to squeeze it out and get the new one in. I like most people that do this , do it to install a K&N air filter.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic