Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Monster Fuel Injection ECU Flash

Some of you may know me from another thread about this procedure from Monster Fuel Injection in Canada and my initially poor results. I thought it prudent to put out an update in a fresh new thread for anyone exploring this 'upgrade option" and for those who may start reading the other thread and not see my short "update" or whatever....

When I had my ECU flashed the first time I had ZERO improvements with it. Being that I ride pretty much year round I wasn't gonna send it back until either the weather turned really bad or for some other reason I wasn't gonna be riding.... Fast forward to Feb 14th of this year when I had to have some surgery to correct the inability to breathe properly and knowing that I would be down for the count, I sent my ECU back to Monster (it actually went to his partner business here in the states in Louisiana) to be flashed again.

There were delays in getting back on the bike but that finally happened on the 6th of this month. This time around the ECU flash is delivering impressive results! I have a 2015 F3-S with the primary muffler/cat in place and the Akrapovic Straight Shot silencer currently. I should qualify this by saying that I am going to be changing out the primary/cat for the unit from RLS when it becomes available and told Steve to set the "fueling" for that configuration.

Right out of my driveway I knew this was gonna be fun! I put 160 miles on it that day with all sorts of different riding conditions (city, boonies, casual acceleration, hamfisted stuff etc). I spent a fair amount of time trying to make the flash show any faults it may have had by making unusually low rpm shifts, crazy shifts etc etc. Dennis in Lodi who had great results on his RT with a 79t sprocket had some issues with the flash when it was applied to his F3L with the 89t. It was throwing a P0172 code around 3800 and having hesitations around 7k. None of this was present for me. Once I had split up from my riding partner and left to my own devices, I was able to apply a serious thrashing of the flash thru the entire rpm range to the top of every gear EXCEPT 6th (I had a "tail" at that time). The distance needed to a chosen speed was greatly reduced with NONE of the throttle control intrusion evident in the stock flash!

I am 100% stoked with this flash and how my byke runs now!
    You don't even need to run it up in the rpm range to get results. The increased power/torque is there right off the line and as far as the rev limiter will let you go. So much so in my case with the new throttle settings and my byke having always been strong there, that I had to relearn throttle application all over again! You can do pretty much anything you can think of and still have much improved power/torque on tap. Short of bogging it in ways you really shouldn't. Even the exhaust tone was "healthier" with an ever so light burble on deceleration.

So there you have it. Any questions feel free to PM me....
    Last edited by hypurone; 03-09-2018 at 06:39 PM.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Newest Flash

And ............. Mike

Spyder Garage

https://vimeo.com/226364226

• Ultra smooth throttle transitions
    • +15% torque increase, up to +20% horsepower
    • Roll-on power is improved 1000-5000 rpm.
    • New Ultra wide power band gives vast power gains 5000 rpm to redline
    • 91 Octane Tune (can use 93 to promote best power output)
    • Works with every combination of stock exhaust, cat delete or free flow muffler
    • Retains factory mapping, feedback systems and fuel mileage under half
    • throttle
    • Stock 8100 or 8600 rpm limiter choice (or anywhere 8800-9200 at user’s discretion)

https://monsterfuelinjection.com/spyder/

Last edited by AY4B; 03-09-2018 at 10:14 PM.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

That site has lots of info except no contact info that I can find. What would this do to my warranty?
    Ok I found the contact info. You have to know the secret password and handshake.
    Last edited by AY4B; 03-09-2018 at 10:26 PM.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    And ............. Mike
    Thanks, that's exactly how I felt afterwards! But I thought I should use my words.....

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    That site has lots of info except no contact info that I can find. What would this do to my warranty?
    He is a member here, username is Spyd_Piper. The business is online as well. Don't think I can post all the particulars here without stepping on toes. PM sent as well....

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Default congratulations....🎉🎉🎉

Good to hear and glad they re-flashed it . Hope you are doing well after the breathing episode...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Good to hear and glad they re-flashed it . Hope you are doing well after the breathing episode...
    Thanks man, unfortunately it was more than "an episode" and had become life threatening. But, the surgery saved the day and I am doing well. I will never be 100% but I am out of danger. And more importantly cleared to ride again!

Chuck

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thank you so much for posting this. I love my F3T, but I would really like more power. Seems like this is what I am after. My biggest hold back right now is that I have started modifying my M109, and I cannot afford to do both right now. But I will be looking into this in the near future. Thanks Again.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default Able to hold traction?

When I flashed my RT I was easily able to control any rear tire spin. But, that was with the 79 tooth tall sprocket set up. In fact, because there was about 25% more power right off idle, I found myself shifting using lower rpms when just tooling around. Out of the box F3S with the 89 tooth my new stock 2016 F3L could pretty easily lay down good start rubber but always hooked up shortly there after.
    So, How many gears are you spinning rubber now? And how quickly are you able to adapt to basically a new Spyder?

p.s. The video in the post above is my RT with the 8,600 rpm flash. If you're not interested in top end pay close attention to the end of the video where I perform a series of low end pulls. This low rpm flashed power gain is huge for two up riding, merging on an interstate, pulling a trailer and two up passing on short stretches of back roads.
    Last edited by Dennis in Lodi; 03-10-2018 at 08:34 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Wasn't bad flashes

The issue was one flash did not work for both the RT 79 tooth sprocket and the F3S & T platform with the 89 tooth sprocket set up. Above my pay range to explain but the bike's ECU was choosing the wrong fuel tables?? In spite of Hyperone and my immediate feed back a few were rushed out the door until this fueling issue was addressed.
    If you choose the stock rpm flash it is not detectable by the dealer or the BUDS
    There is now a specific flash for the 89 tooth sprocket Spyders. There is also a stage two package that incorporates intake, exhaust and a flash which is on a DYNO now and available soon.

I hope this helps?
    Dennis

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default My View

I for one would still like to change my 2014 RTS over to the 89T rear sprocket...Mainly due to my riding style; always ride 2 up, both of us are old & a little on the fat side, I live in a very mountainous and hilly part of the state, almost always take the back roads to everywhere and usually pull a trailer when touring...

If neither of these tuner guru's can get this accomplished VERY soon I will try the set up Dennis used with the 79T deal and go from there...

Hopefully keeping this "Reflash" deal alive will net all positive results for everyone every time...

larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    So, How many gears are you spinning rubber now? And how quickly are you able to adapt to basically a new Spyder?
    He Dennis! Good to see you here. I am the outlier as far as wheel spin goes since I had Steve change my throttle behavior (it now takes less rotation to reach WOT). This makes it very responsive and quite sensitive. If I get into it and not let up to allow the tire to hook up, I had it spin into 4th. I couldn't keep at it as I was in a populated area those times and I forgot to "revisit" it again once out in the boonies, I was caught up in other aspects of the flash. It'll spin at speed if I give it a good twist, making corners a whole new delight! As far as getting used it, it really wasn't hard for me. But I've spent the last 40 years on 2 wheels and you know how sensitive and responsive the throttles on some bikes can be. My Ducati Monster S4RS had a laser focused throttle that required the utmost attention to detail or all hell was gonna break loose. With the front tire in the air to boot! By the end of my 160 mile romp I had sorted out everything and the throttle was becoming second nature pretty much. With the only thing still catching me out at times being getting out of the hole. I still found myself applying the throttle like it was before the flash which made for some shenanigans....

And as I previously stated and you just mentioned, "This low rpm flashed power gain is huge for two up riding, merging on an interstate, pulling a trailer and two up passing on short stretches of back roads" is HUGE. I love not having to always downshift to access the power/torque.... You can actually relax about what gear you're in (to a degree of course) and just hammer it when the need arises....

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Thats good news for you, but a bit disheartening to hear of others having problems with the flash. I am not ready to take the chance of getting a bad flash and having the bike not run right.
    I was an early adopter in the F3 arena and things have changed quite a bit since then. I have not heard of anyone at this stage of the game having any issues. But that is one of the reasons for this thread. Hopefully any one that had results like I did or other issues from earlier on will see this and get re-flashed and mention it here. I really don't think there will be the issue of 79t vs 89t flash mix-ups or whatever now that Dennis, myself and Steve have sorted out that there is a difference between the 2 platforms....

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Default Smokin Batmobile / Spyder Mobile 2016 F3L

I put on some Elka Shocks and installed the flashed ECU. Holy Crap what a transformation of speed and control.
    Went to the test track and put up the following numbers today.
    Stock 2016 F3L with the 89 tooth sprocket 102 mph: Flashed F3L 116 mph = 14 mph gain
    last summer the RT did this.
    Stock RT 89 mph: flashed RT 102 mph + 13 mph gain over stock; Summer time testing

Braking conditions sucked today and I had to pull up early on the flashed F3L. The Elka shocks inspired my confidence to safely test today under poor track conditions. As with the RT flash there is a huge USABLE power surge starting at 4000 rpm that really picks up at 5000 rpm and throws me back in my seat at 6,200 to red line. I have the cat in place with a
    Spyder1Attitude pipe which is quiet when needed and not too loud when piping it. While rolling along at 15 mph I can easily smoke the rear tire. Of course, I can smoke the rear wheel at will off the line.
    What an F3S owner will notice is 3rd and 4th gear will pull to red line just as freely as your 1st and 2nd gear do now. My F3 Limited starts to load up with wind resistance in 5th gear around 7,600?? or 115 mph?? Kind of needed to keep two eyes on the road while in warp drive.

This is not about red line and top end but the USABLE FUN power gains in your real driving rpms. Like Hyperone says and I agree, I rode over 200 test miles today and I rarely found the need or space to shift above 6,200 rpm. I have to dissect the test video but 3rd or 4th gear now pulls from 30 mph to 90 mph really fast. In the real world for both the F3 and RT the need to down shift to get going is a thing of the past.

Just wanted to share. You can pm Hyperone for details if interested.
    Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis in Lodi; 03-28-2018 at 07:20 AM.

Spyder Garage

I sent my ECU back to Monster (it actually went to his partner business here in the states in Louisiana)" Where is the other "business partner located?"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nwrider View Post
    I sent my ECU back to Monster (it actually went to his partner business here in the states in Louisiana)" Where is the other "business partner located?"
    New Bern, North Carolina but I don't have an actual address....

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Dennis: I am assuming those are trap speeds? What was the 1/4 mile time?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I for one would still like to change my 2014 RTS over to the 89T rear sprocket...
    My understanding is Monster can do this now....

Chuck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Getting parts rounded up

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    My understanding is Monster can do this now....
    I'm in pursuit of getting the rear sprocket & belt to make this happen...Thanks larryd

Spyder Garage

Default radar gun

We have been using an antique radar gun for many years now. The test track is not long enough for braking after a 1/4 mile run. It's just a private property road us gear heads have had the privilege of using for about 30 years. Same starting point with a fixed mph reading at a given point. For any liter bike testing we have to move the reading point back a bit to be able to slow down before a corner and cornfield. Really dicey. I had to shoot the RT footage at night for my camera to pick up the gauges. On one run there was a opossum, and another run there was not one but SIX dear standing on the middle of the track. We kind of crossed off night time testing after that hair raising event.
    Cycle speeds to compare to.
    ZX10 Ninja, 175 hp clocked at 132 mph on a slightly shorter test distance. Triumph speed triple 124 mph. 150 hp Yamaha Raider same distance as spyder runs, 118 mph but still going strong. 125 hp- FJ09 only 118 mph as it had steering head wobble. So my big Spyder sail boat that is double the weight is now running with some pretty fast company. It's hard to imagine going faster without a turbo upgrade.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
    Dennis: I am assuming those are trap speeds? What was the 1/4 mile time?

Spyder Garage

well I just got my ecu back from Monster. I drained the old gas out and bought 4 gallons of 93 octane to put in.

I was in the garage (kinda dimly lit) trying to reinstall the ecu in my 2014 RT LTD and could not get the plug to seat all the way in. Any tricks here? Thanks, Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    well I just got my ecu back from Monster. I drained the old gas out and bought 4 gallons of 93 octane to put in.

I was in the garage (kinda dimly lit) trying to reinstall the ecu in my 2014 RT LTD and could not get the plug to seat all the way in. Any tricks here? Thanks, Mike
    It can take a little patients getting it lined up.
    Make sure the the round black tab on the front side is sliding into the swivel lock.
    Take your time and just be careful not to bend any of the pins...
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Hopefully I will look at it this am. Yeah, I was worried about the pins. Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I was puttin it in backwards. Oh Well, Thanks, Mike
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

Default Suggest marking "OUT" side of ECU

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    Thanks, I was puttin it in backwards. Oh Well, Thanks, Mike
    When you hold an ECU the logical way it looks to be installed is backwards. I suggest marking the ECU with a marker.
    Remember to allow a full tank of gas for the full effects of the flash to take hold. Then go out in 3rd gear at 4000 rpm and hold it open to red line. This is where the you''ll first notice the new performance. It does't seem to matter if the exhaust is all stock or free flowing. For me on my RT, I really enjoyed merging or passing up on the interstate without thinking about downshifting.
    Dennis