Spyder Garage

Default Throttle Sticking

50 degrees and sunny today here in Northern Illinois, scratched the itch for about 60 miles. Noticed that the throttle was not returning when we went to slow down or stop. Stopped by the dealer and got a quote for a new grip of 234.00 yikes any ideas seemed to be an intermittent issue Thanks guys

Dave

Spyder Garage

Have you done any work to the area? Like heated grips etc? There is a small return spring inside the end of the bar behind the end cap that can be disturbed when doing this type of work. If not, then most likely something has come undone/loose at the throttle body end where there is also a return spring. You shouldn't need a new grip! And this is most likely a warranty item....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Couple things....

I believe yours has the fly by wire so there is no cables involved. You should check the thottle to make sure it is not rubbing up agaist the command or the bar end. This will cause this problem. The other would be if the throttle tube and the handle bar has gotten dirty or gummy. After that you need to go to the acutator for the throttle body to make sure it is operating properly....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fire34 View Post
    50 degrees and sunny today here in Northern Illinois, scratched the itch for about 60 miles. Noticed that the throttle was not returning when we went to slow down or stop. Stopped by the dealer and got a quote for a new grip of 234.00 yikes any ideas seemed to be an intermittent issue Thanks guys

Dave
    My F3 was sticking when I bought it used. It was still under factory warranty & the dealer ground down some of the plastic inside the twist area while they waited for parts to come in. It was fine after they ground it but since it was still under warranty I let them replace the whole assmy.
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Spyder Garage

Default What year

What year was your bike and how many miles, we have a 2013 RTL with 13,000 on it. Thanks

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by JS3535 View Post
    My F3 was sticking when I bought it used. It was still under factory warranty & the dealer ground down some of the plastic inside the twist area while they waited for parts to come in. It was fine after they ground it but since it was still under warranty I let them replace the whole assmy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fire34 View Post
    What year was your bike and how many miles, we have a 2013 RTL with 13,000 on it. Thanks

Dave
    2015 F3S had 1200 miles on it when I bought it August of last year. Took it straight to the dealer for warranty. Yours is probably out of warranty. I would take it apart & see where its sticking, maybe you can fix it yourself for cheap.
    2015 F3S-T , Black Black & Black

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The return spring in the grip can be wound another revolution than what it's at. It is fairly robust and other ryders have removed a coil to lighten it up. When you take it apart, remove the cap slowly or the spring will lose it's position (number of turns). If you grasp it to keep it from moving, take another turn and put it back together. If you lose the position, I believe the standard is two turns to get back to standard. Good luck!

Spyder Garage

Default Recall on some throttles..

I have a 2016 f3 and just had my throttle rebuilt because of a recall. You might check with your dealer.

Spyder Garage

2015 F3SE and there is a service bulletin regarding a sticky throttle. Had both of our bikes serviced at no charge.

Spyder Garage

Don't know about the F3 assembly but my RT throttle got sticky when I put a hose clamp mounted phone mount on the handlebars next to the throttle grip. As my usual, I tightened the hose clamp to just below the breaking point and it must have squeezed the handlebar. I loosened the hose clamp a bit and the throttle was freed up.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

I added Lamonster IPS bar ends and added a washer to free the throttle. No problems since.
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black