Spyder Garage

Default RT stick or automatic

Looking to purchase my first Spyder RT. Found a 2015 RT new still in box, but it is a stick. I did not know they made the newer RT’s with a stick, was told they are only available in an automatic.
    So my question, as a 2 wheel bike rider I am used to a stick but was the bling an automatic would be kind of cool. So how is the stick on the RT? How is the shifting? How is the clutch pull? How is the resale on a stick versus an automatic?
    Due to the loss mites time off work, I am going to have the bike shipped, I cannot take it for a test drive.
    Thanks for the help.
    Diane

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Twowheelgal View Post
    Looking to purchase my first Spyder RT. Found a 2015 RT new still in box, but it is a stick. I did not know they made the newer RT’s with a stick, was told they are only available in an automatic. So my question, as a 2 wheel bike rider I am used to a stick but was the bling an automatic would be kind of cool. So how is the stick on the RT? How is the shifting? How is the clutch pull? How is the resale on a stick versus an automatic? Due to the loss mites time off work, I am going to have the bike shipped, I cannot take it for a test drive. Thanks for the help. Diane
    Here's an old thread on the topic; http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...673-SE6-or-SM6
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default IF

IF 'bling' is what you want, as in the auto-shift version.... WAIT until you find one to your liking and budget....
    the manual tranny version will be a really expensive and most likely a long lived lesson if you aren't happy with it....

let's go to AGE.... most of us in the elevated age group are going to the SE (auto) versions, just because we've become a bit less interested in 'shifting' all day long....
    just my opinion, but you asked for that in your post...

whatever you buy, ride it safely....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    IF 'bling' is what you want, as in the auto-shift version.... WAIT until you find one to your liking and budget....SPYD3R
    I think the OP meant 'thinking' rather than 'the bling'

My two cents. 'Automatic' is a misnomer. It's really Manual vs. Electronic shift. The SE6 downshifts automatically, but upshifting is still controlled by the driver. It's really the clutch action that is different between the two, I think (I've never driven an SM6).
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The fact it is now three model years old and still in the box says a lot about the popularity of the manual shift. Keep that in mind.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So how is the stick on the RT? How is the shifting? How is the clutch pull? Diane
    It's not a 'stick'. You either enjoy using a clutch or not. Performance-wise I can't imagine anyone could shift faster using a manual clutch than the SE6 can shift when accelerating. See my thread 'what a machine'
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Looking to purchase my first Spyder RT. Found a 2015 RT new still in box, but it is a stick. I did not know they made the newer RT’s with a stick, was told they are only available in an automatic.
    So my question, as a 2 wheel bike rider I am used to a stick but was the bling an automatic would be kind of cool. So how is the stick on the RT? How is the shifting? How is the clutch pull? How is the resale on a stick versus an automatic?
    Due to the loss mites time off work, I am going to have the bike shipped, I cannot take it for a test drive.
    Thanks for the help.
    Diane
    Manual SM6 vs. Semi Auto SE6. Performance and mileage--not much difference. The Manual is about $1,500 less in cost. They are more difficult to sell because most want the SE version. I have had both and don't miss the Manual. If I need a shift fix, I have a two wheeler.

The earlier comment about 2015 and still in the box is a good indicator. The SM version is the "naked" version of the RT. I don't remember what it is missing from the SE version.

Clutch pull--no problem. I have had one manual and four semi automatics. Would not buy another with the manual.

Good luck with your hunt. For a new 2015, they should be offering a "lot" off the MSRP. Look up used for the same model on Kelly or NADA. I am thinking used plus no more than $1,000 is a fair asking price. Since its being shipped, I am guessing someone else will get the servicing. This is a one and done for the dealer--so my price is within reason--IMO.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I totally agree with all who have indicated the SM6 value to be much less than the SE6. A manual shift RT really limits the scope of it's market. Buy it if that's what you want. But, by just asking your question, you indicate you're mind is not set on a manual shift. That being the case, let that new SM6 continue to collect dust at the dealer. Find yourself a well loved 2014 or newer SE6. You will be happier.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I like the manual shift, but that's my preference.
    As to the resale value, I will probably run it into the ground, so I don't care.
    You seem to prevaricate. Just like choosing a partner, if you can't say "Hell Yes", then you have to think about it too much and the answer is no.
    You should move on to a selection that excites you.
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 02-28-2018 at 06:29 AM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I like the manual shift, but that's my preference.
    As to the resale value, I will probably run it into the ground, so I don't care.
    You seem to prevaricate. Just like dating a woman, if you can't say "Hell Yes", then you have to think about it too much and the answer is no.
    You should move on to a selection that excites you.
    Ummm...I think she IS a woman...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default AKspyderman said it best.....

As for me and my opinion....I am a manual guy all the way. Love to be in control, be able to coast, be able to slip the clutch when needed etc. But test ryde an semi-auto and see what you think....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's just whichever one, that "floats your goat" the best!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Ya gotta love that spell check .
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    Ya gotta love that spell check .
    You forgot the picture he posts every once in awhile?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    As for me and my opinion....I am a manual guy all the way. Love to be in control, be able to coast, be able to slip the clutch when needed etc. But test ryde an semi-auto and see what you think....
    I agree that a test ride of both styles would be very useful. When in doubt test ride. I myself just like the manual shift. Had a old hondamatic motorcycle once and hatted that auto shift. The two happiest days of my life was the day I bought it and the day I sold it to its next victim. I mean sucker, no I meant new owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I love the manual and I have over 200,000 miles on Manual Spyders with very little problems. I also put about 8,000 miles on a 14 RT semi auto and did not like it. The clutch is really easy on the RT too. As for resale value, I recently sold my RTS SM-6 with 123,000 miles on it for $10,000. Of course a lower mileage bike would have sold for more but I was happy with the price.

I say go for the manual. Get them to throw in an extended warranty too.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Yes go out and test ride both then test some more. You'll some have the answer to to the question. Is it live or is it Memorex. Plus it always fun to ride someone elses bike for a little while.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MR. H1956 View Post
    I agree that a test ride of both styles would be very useful. When in doubt test ride. I myself just like the manual shift. Had a old hondamatic motorcycle once and hatted that auto shift. The two happiest days of my life was the day I bought it and the day I sold it to its next victim. I mean sucker, no I meant new owner
    I have exactly the same feelings concerning the 750 Hondamatic. When they first came out in 1976--I had to have one. Loved it for about a month. The "turbine" sound when you snicked it into drive and rolled off was cool. The "missing" clutch got a lot of attention.

That one sat in the garage most of the time and I traded it off on a 1978 Kawi 650. That was a UJM bike. I decked it out with about $3K worth of Vetter accessories and put many, many miles on that one.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Memories.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default how do you ride?

Your riding style may make a difference. Both are proven systems.

For riding in traffic, SE wins in our book. For oozing along in slow sections, left hand can get tired.

For hard riding, maybe the SM.

Have ridden both. Liked em both. Got great deal (on the color I really wanted), so have a SE. Quite pleased.

Get what YOU like.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    You forgot the picture he posts every once in awhile?
    Thank you...

Floating Your Goat.jpg

Spyder Garage

I see nobody asked her how good a deal she is getting. Also nobody asked her if she is fairly confident she will keep it for a number of years.

I do not like my Altima hybrid but I got such a good deal on it I would buy it again without thinking. I got such a good deal (2 years old, 32000 miles, $12,800) I assume the resale on it would be terrible. But I do not care about resale since I plan on driving it into the ground like previous cars. I bought a new 2016 Spyder in October despite all of the cool features on the latest model ones because it was such a good deal.

As much as I like my SE6, I would have considered buying a SM6 if it was a really good deal. And I only say considered since I wasn't completely sold on the Spyder when I bought it, though I have enough time in the saddle that I am now.
    Last edited by gnorthern; 03-02-2018 at 02:23 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not everybody is always looking for a "Good Deal".
    What good is the deal; if it's not the vehicle that you really want?
    For important stuff like Spyders: I'd rather get exactly what I want, and pay for it...

But that's probably just me!

Spyder Garage

Not everybody is always looking for a "Good Deal".
    What good is the deal; if it's not the vehicle that you really want?
    For important stuff like Spyders: I'd rather get exactly what I want, and pay for it...

But that's probably just me!
    For me everything has a price. I guessed I would have a lot of fun with a manual (didn't drive one, but assumed it would be like a motorcycle or car), but preferred an SE6. If a manual was an option I decided I would be willing to pay $1500 more for an SE6. I found the SE6 really cool. If she finds the manual really hurts the riding experience, that is something different.