Thread: FUNK HELP

Spyder Garage

Default FUNK HELP

The funk on my 2014 rt does not open with the electric switch. Where do i start looking for the problem?

Spyder Garage

Default Frunk lid release

Have you tried just using the Key and turning it to the Trunk open position? Or pressing down on the trunk lid while pressing the electric switch? Both of those options have worked for my '13's Frunk lid.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking.....

Make sure the alignment is good on the pin and the latch, lube it up and make sure it is not really hard to close. Should close by simply droping the lid to the frunk or with a minimal push. May be too tight for the electric release. Then check to make sure the release is actually working... check fuses
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Have you tried just using the Key and turning it to the Trunk open position? Or pressing down on the trunk lid while pressing the electric switch? Both of those options have worked for my '13's Frunk lid.
    WORKS GREAT WITH THE KEY NO SO WELL WITH THE SWITCH

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2014s never had a switch for the Frunk...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

There is a micro switch under the Frunk lid. If this switch is not 'made' while the lid is closed, the switch on the dash will not open the lid. This switch is easily knocked out of adjustment. I have a 2011 RTS.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Yup! That is when I started my rant about giving us ECO Mode (useless) and taking away my magic trunk opening button. We still have a 2011 and that one works great.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    There is a micro switch under the Frunk lid. If this switch is not 'made' while the lid is closed, the switch on the dash will not open the lid. This switch is easily knocked out of adjustment. I have a 2011 RTS.
    there's no SWITCH!
    They did away with the power release switch, because folks were hitting the parking brake release by mistake.
    There was some experimentation with moving it over, and combining it with the foglight switch; but nothing ever came of it.

Spyder Garage

Default Mine Does

there's no SWITCH!
    They did away with the power release switch, because folks were hitting the parking brake release by mistake.
    There was some experimentation with moving it over, and combining it with the foglight switch; but nothing ever came of it.
    Hi Bob,
    I also have a 14 RT-S and mine has an electric Frunk release. LOL I have to admit though I installed it myself with BRP parts. Mine works flawlessly
    14 RT-S , Stock Large brake pedal White Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default Frunk Switch

I just went through this about 2 months ago on our 2012 RT.

The problem was the switch itself.
    You can pull the switch out and then short the wire contacts and see if the Frunk will release...

Sorry, best I can offer

Wes
    2012 RT
    RT-622 Trailer
    Custom Dynamics lighting
    Garmin GPS

Spyder Garage

there's no SWITCH!
    Bob is right, no Frunk switch after 2013. 2014 DID NOT have them. Yes, the microswitch is still in the Frunk, but it's only purpose is to turn on the pathetic "Frunk Light" at the very bottom right hand side as you look into the Frunk from the front of the Spyder. Put anything in there, and the light is useless.

P.S. NO FRUNK SWITCH
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wes P View Post
    I just went through this about 2 months ago on our 2012 RT.

The problem was the switch itself.
    You can pull the switch out and then short the wire contacts and see if the Frunk will release...

Sorry, best I can offer

Wes
    Same problem here with my 2013 - everything else works fine; the micro switch on the lid itself is in the correct position & functioning properly; the solenoid triggers when prompted, but the DASH SWITCH itself only works a few times out of every hundred operations or so!! Tried the 'shorting the switch out' thing & that works fine.... but leaving the wires dangling outta the switch panel doesn't look to good!

And can I readily get a replacement switch??? Nope, apparently that's a fantastic joke!! Not only are they fairly expensive (Park Brake & Frunk opener bundled in one switch seemngly deems quadruple the single switch price!) but it appears the local Dealers don't bother to stock them, & according to them, apparently there are none in the country, besides, they are on 'back-order' with no 'expected due by' date' available....

So I just might be looking for a couple of el cheapo toggle switches instead! Maybe one labelled 'Ejector Seat' & the other labelled 'Nitrous'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NM Wrench View Post
    Hi Bob,
    I also have a 14 RT-S and mine has an electric Frunk release. LOL I have to admit though I installed it myself with BRP parts. Mine works flawlessly
    I know...
    If the O.P. has something that was cobbled into place: he's gonna have to sort out what he's actually got, and how to fix it.

...Or he could just be a Troll...

Spyder Garage

I had the same issue with my 13', the dealer replaced the switch on the dash, the switch on the Frunk and the actuator. I had warranty at the time might be why they did it all.
    2013 RED RT-S SE-5. Nothing special, but it's mine. I call it El Diablo Rojo
    US ARMY Combat Engineer. Sapper Strike!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What switch are you talking about?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The one that isn't there...
    BRP stopped equipping the RTs with the "Frunklid Switch"; after the 2013 model year.

Your 2014 doesn't have it. If it did: it would be the bottom half of your parking brake switch.