Spyder Garage

Default State inspection thought

For those of us that have to have annual motor vehicle state inspections done, I have a rather theoretical, hypothetical, and probably, also stupid, question. (It came to me after a few beers)

Let's say that, sometime in the past, you have approached your dealer requesting that they switch out your tires for something other than the Kenda tire, like a car tire.

They refused because of BRP policy, their policy, etc......But, you still go to them for other service requirements.

So, now, it is state inspection time. So in you go. Since in the past, they would not touch your tire exchange issue, are they gonna be low enough to slap a rejection sticker on your ride because you do not approved "motorcycle" tires on it?

(Yes, I have to much free time inside my feeble brain..........)
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Relax.....

The Kenda tires say..."For motorcycle use only" and if found on a car may present a problem somewhere.. but all the car tires in use don't have limitations as to vehicles except for compitition tires (Racing tires) and maybe Farm and trailers etc....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

VA used to use 'authorized' private contractors for vehicle inspections. These were basically independent shops. Is there a reason you wouldn't use one of these instead of your dealer for inspections.

When I lived in VA inspections were required every six months and you could count on every inspection finding your headlights needed alignment. What a crock!

Best day of my life was VA in my rear view mirror.

Spyder Garage

Here in Aust, it is illegal for any company to INSIST that customers use ONLY their product or the specific product that they sell/specify for anything, so if BRP OR ANY DEALER insisted that we had to use the Kendas or Arachnids or any other specific tire & that nothing else was acceptable; OR if BRP penalised any Dealer &/or customer for fitting similar or better spec alternatives (see below) they (or the Dealer) could get hauled up pdq on charges re Breach of our Anti-Monopoly legislation!! If substantiated, & much of what you lot have posted sounds like it could well do that, then the penalties & damages imposed could be MASSIVE!!

Furthermore, we are legally allowed to fit any tire that has the correct bead profile for the rim (in this case, Passenger car bead profiles); that complies with the under/over size legislation re alternative rims & tire sizes; and that has load & speed ratings that match or exceed those specified on the tire placard....

So I find it quite surprising that the US & Canada doesn't have similar legislation - I'm pretty sure that you do for a/mkt car parts vs OE parts (I reckon the Aust legislation used yours as the basis for developing ours?!) and I'd be very surprised if that same legislation didn't apply to all vehicles & their replacement parts, not just for cars, in much the same way that ours covers all vehicles?!!

And I'd be even more surprised if fitting a higher load & speed rated tire to a Spyder here in Aust or over there would impact on passing that inspection - and I certainly wouldn't like to be in the shoes of an inspector here that knocked back a vehicle because it had better/higher rated tires than those specified on the tire placard..... cos that could be a VERY EXPENSIVE refusal & probably mean loss of their inspection accreditation!! But then we do often roll our eyes & say "only in the US...." about many things that DO occur there & that we'd just never get away with over here!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-01-2018 at 02:43 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default STATE INSPECTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    For those of us that have to have annual motor vehicle state inspections done, I have a rather theoretical, hypothetical, and probably, also stupid, question. (It came to me after a few beers)

Let's say that, sometime in the past, you have approached your dealer requesting that they switch out your tires for something other than the Kenda tire, like a car tire.

They refused because of BRP policy, their policy, etc......But, you still go to them for other service requirements.

So, now, it is state inspection time. So in you go. Since in the past, they would not touch your tire exchange issue, are they gonna be low enough to slap a rejection sticker on your ride because you do not approved "motorcycle" tires on it?

(Yes, I have to much free time inside my feeble brain..........)
    Vermont has one of, if not the strictest vehicle inspection laws in the country ...... and every Spyder I have owned since 09 has had ALL Car tires on them ....... good luck in Va. ............ Mike

Spyder Garage

Like others have said good legal tire with enough tread. & that dealer can't be the only inspection around stop by aNy HD shop it's a State sticker & that's enough

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here in Ohio we don't have such nonsense, we still believe in Freedom and Individual rights!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you EVER seen a motor vehicle inspection taken to that level of thoroughness?

I thought not!

Put the car tires on your bike, and enjoy EVERY mile with them!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A few years ago when I lived in PA I had car tires on our RT and at state inspection time all they were concerned with was tread depth.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    A few years ago when I lived in PA I had car tires on our RT and at state inspection time all they were concerned with was tread depth.
    In Texas tread depth is also the only concern.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

Very simple and easy answer. Call your dealer beforehand and ask " Will you fail my spyder if it has a car tire on it and the tread is good"? Or just go to a local inspection station elsewhere.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why point it out to them?

Rule #1: NEVER give them any ammunition to use against you!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Why point it out to them?

Rule #1: NEVER give them any ammunition to use against you!
    Why take the chance of having a dealership telling you "I can't pass this because the rear tire is a car tire and we won't be responsible if something happens". Believe me it's not sensible but it DOES happen. It's called covering your ars. Just saying. Most inspections stations look at the tire condition and don't question if it's a car tire or not.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have discovered that after a few beers I have incredible insights into the human condition, world affairs and solutions to perplexing issues of the day. I can also dance really well.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by juscuz View Post
    Why take the chance of having a dealership telling you "I can't pass this because the rear tire is a car tire and we won't be responsible if something happens". Believe me it's not sensible but it DOES happen. It's called covering your ars. Just saying. Most inspections stations look at the tire condition and don't question if it's a car tire or not.
    Go ahead and tell them...

Floating Your Goat.jpg

Spyder Garage

As others have outright mentioned or implied...

We have not heard of any incidents where a has been rejected because of "car" tires mounted instead of Kenda's.

That said: Don't give them any more ammunition or give them reasons.

A lawyer commercial here goes like this: Three things to say when involved in an accident: Shut UP! Shut UP!! and Shut UP!!!

Beer Vision: Very good for insightful thinking. Unfortunately, it does not have a long lasting effect into the next day.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Don't know about Canada but in the U.S. we have the Moss-Magnuson Act that deals primarily with warranties but also specifies that dealers and manufacturers cannot hold consumers hostage requiring them (us) to use ONLY their proprietary products. We are free to use any product that meets or exceeds the manufacturers specifications.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    VA used to use 'authorized' private contractors for vehicle inspections. These were basically independent shops. Is there a reason you wouldn't use one of these instead of your dealer for inspections.

When I lived in VA inspections were required every six months and you could count on every inspection finding your headlights needed alignment. What a crock!

Best day of my life was VA in my rear view mirror.

Yes, I can go to my local Shell Station as they are authorized as an inspection station.

My dealer offered free state inspections as a purchasing customer, so I was just tossing the idea around.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

the one thing i would like to say is since a car tire doesn't have it stamped on it "for car or trailer use only" there is
    no legal way it should fail for misapplication. as long as tire specs (load rating, speed rating) meet or exceed oem then it is legal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    Yes, I can go to my local Shell Station as they are authorized as an inspection station.

My dealer offered free state inspections as a purchasing customer, so I was just tossing the idea around.
    Good idea about going to your local shell station. As some of us know, a dealership makes it's money on service after the sale so it stands to reason that finding any and all issues be it immediate or not will be bought to your attention. Gotta keep the business going. Most are honest but then some are not. In a friends case, the local can am service adviser mentioned that he would ask his "State Police" friend about his LED lighting during the free inspection. Since that time his local service station has been doing the inspections with the same equipment on his bike with no issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I have discovered that after a few beers I have incredible insights into the human condition, world affairs and solutions to perplexing issues of the day. I can also dance really well.

I resemble that remark!

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Motorcycles are exempt from inspection in CO. But the downside is I've seen very unsafe tires with cords showing
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Off to Shell I go.
    2014 ST-S Cognac