Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Hi Bob,

Re: they could apply for citizenship at ANY time.

You should stick with what you know: Insurance

And stay out of any legal discussion.

They cannot apply because they have no status.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Hi canamjhb,

Re: Does that make me a Norwegian Citizen and eligible for all the Norwegian benefits?

I cannot speak for Norway. However, I know a woman whose son was born in a US Military hospital in France. He has dual citizenship, American & French. He once told me he would never return to France because he would be elegible for the French military conscription.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I also knew a number of people born in Brazil to Dutch citizens and they had dual citizenship.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Trump wants to eliminate the 'chain immigration' loophole (the one his wife used to bring her parents here). If there were no 'chain immigration' when my parents wanted to bring my sister and I to America, we would still be in England no doubt. We were 'sponsored' by my father's sister.

The only 'wall' I respect is the Vietnam Veterans Memorial on the Washington Mall. Border walls are an offense to humanity AND an admission that Homeland Security is a pathetic waste of taxpayers' money.
    I petitioned my wife to come to America in 1988 and she became an American citizen in 1991. LEGALLY.
    In 1994, she petitioned one brother and one sister to come to America, and the petitions were approved. LEGALLY.
    BUT that doesn't mean they came here. NOOOOO. If you have an approved petition, you still have to wait until the Department of State determines there is a Visa Number available. As of 2018 -- that is, 24 years later -- one brother is now preparing to actually immigrate. LEGALLY.

Don't tell me that "chain migration" is a big problem, not when it takes 24 years to actually come here.
    And BTW the farthest you can go with "chain migration" is brother or sister. There is NO provision for aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. etc. as the misinformed would like to believe.
    Also BTW, the law actually says that LEGAL immigrants cannot get welfare. Ask me how I know? Because I had to sign an Affidavit of Support for my wife and my brother-in-law in which I personally had to swear that they would never go on public assistance. You can look it up -- it's Form I-864 and I-864A. I think the problem is that nobody bothers to enforce that law.

I do not deny that illegals are getting free medical care at ERs all across the country. The ERs are required to provide this. But that is a law that could and SHOULD be changed. Just don't blame the LEGAL immigrants for it. Yes, some LEGAL immigrants probably slip by and get stuff free, too, but that's because nobody enforces the law. Non-enforcement of the law is one of the biggest problems we have in this country, both for guns and for immigration.

Those of us who have complied with the law regarding immigration get really PO'd about illegal immigrants being able to benefit from their own misconduct and even MORE PO'd when Trump wants to punish us for being good guys and actually complying. I sometimes think my wife's brother should have just come here illegally 20 years ago, he'd be better off today. Heckuva note.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi canamjhb,

Re: Does that make me a Norwegian Citizen and eligible for all the Norwegian benefits?

I cannot speak for Norway. However, I know a woman whose son was born in a US Military hospital in France. He has dual citizenship, American & French. He once told me he would never return to France because he would be elegible for the French military conscription.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I also knew a number of people born in Brazil to Dutch citizens and they had dual citizenship.
    Here's how it actually works: My eldest son was born in the Philippines while I was assigned there. His mother is Filipina. Our son was issued a Philippine birth certificate and the U.S. Department of State issued him a "Certificate of Birth of a United States Citizen Born Abroad." As a natural-born U.S. citizen, he was simultaneously issued issued a U.S. passport.

The Constitution says you must be a "natural born" citizen to be President. However, "natural born" does not mean "born in the geographic United States." By federal law, our son was a United States citizen the instant he was born. Period. That makes him a "natural born" U.S. citizen and the U.S. Department of State agrees. All that baloney about ***** being born in Kenya simply doesn't matter. *****'s mother was an American citizen. Even if he had been born in Kenya (which is BS anyway), he was a natural born U.S. citizen.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a Cousin who was born in Canada. His Mom was German, and was waiting for her paperwork to allow her to emigrate to the U.S.
    My Uncle is American born and bred...

Can I send "Cousin Dougie" back to Canada, and trade for someone different?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    I petitioned my wife to come to America in 1988 and she became an American citizen in 1991. LEGALLY.
    In 1994, she petitioned one brother and one sister to come to America, and the petitions were approved. LEGALLY.
    BUT that doesn't mean they came here. NOOOOO. If you have an approved petition, you still have to wait until the Department of State determines there is a Visa Number available. As of 2018 -- that is, 24 years later -- one brother is now preparing to actually immigrate. LEGALLY.

Don't tell me that "chain migration" is a big problem, not when it takes 24 years to actually come here.
    And BTW the farthest you can go with "chain migration" is brother or sister. There is NO provision for aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. etc. as the misinformed would like to believe.
    Also BTW, the law actually says that LEGAL immigrants cannot get welfare. Ask me how I know? Because I had to sign an Affidavit of Support for my wife and my brother-in-law in which I personally had to swear that they would never go on public assistance. You can look it up -- it's Form I-864 and I-864A. I think the problem is that nobody bothers to enforce that law.

I do not deny that illegals are getting free medical care at ERs all across the country. The ERs are required to provide this. But that is a law that could and SHOULD be changed. Just don't blame the LEGAL immigrants for it. Yes, some LEGAL immigrants probably slip by and get stuff free, too, but that's because nobody enforces the law. Non-enforcement of the law is one of the biggest problems we have in this country, both for guns and for immigration.

Those of us who have complied with the law regarding immigration get really PO'd about illegal immigrants being able to benefit from their own misconduct and even MORE PO'd when Trump wants to punish us for being good guys and actually complying. I sometimes think my wife's brother should have just come here illegally 20 years ago, he'd be better off today. Heckuva note.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I have a Cousin who was born in Canada. His Mom was German, and was waiting for her paperwork to allow her to emigrate to the U.S.
    My Uncle is American born and bred...Can I send "Cousin Dougie" back to Canada, and trade for someone different?
    Why would you want to? You got something against the people who build your Spyder?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

All that baloney about ***** being born in Kenya simply doesn't matter. *****'s mother was an American citizen. Even if he had been born in Kenya (which is BS anyway), he was a natural born U.S. citizen.
    Interestingly, that isn't the case. I was just looking up stuff on dual citizenship and came across a CNN article about Ted Cruz' citizenship. The article states that the law in effect at the time O was born was that to be an automatic US citizen the mother or father had to have been physically present on US soil for at least 5 years after the age of 14. O's mother was 18 when he was born, so if she had been residing in Kenya when he was born he would not have been a US citizen because she wouldn't have met the 5 year requirement. The law concerning citizenship of children born to US citizens while abroad has been changed a few times since 1790 when the first such law was enacted.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Please tell me that we're not lumping legal, and illegal immigrants into the same pile of people...
    If you're referring to the Pew Research report I link to, yes they are. As many legals and illegals have gone back to Mexico as have come here since 2000.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Does that make me a Norwegian Citizen and eligible for all the Norwegian benefits?
    In England, at least 30 years ago, you do not need to be a citizen to take advantage of their social benefits. At least not in the realm of medical care. I lived in England for a year in 1988-89. During that time I got visits to a physician and a crown on a tooth at zero cost to me.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    In England, at least 30 years ago, you do not need to be a citizen to take advantage of their social benefits. At least not in the realm of medical care. I lived in England for a year in 1988-89. During that time I got visits to a physician and a crown on a tooth at zero cost to me.
    Most civilized countries consider health care to be a basic right and necessity for PEOPLE. Period. None of this bull**** we put our citizens and visitors through.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We would like to interrupt this discussion with a brief "entre act".
    Please enjoy the music!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, don't let me stop you. Get your ass out there and start counting, as any patriotic American would.
    Really useful comment, Pete.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Most civilized countries consider health care to be a basic right and necessity for PEOPLE. Period. None of this bull**** we put our citizens and visitors through.
    Is using other peoples money to pay for it part of the basic right? I agree health care should be cheaper but i don't
    bust my ass at work to help others who don't work at all. Pete how many homeless or poor do you house at any
    given time and what is your limit?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi canamjhb,

Jerry Baumchen

Dual citizenship is quite common throughout the world now. USA didn't use to recognize it but does now. My two adopted daughters were both Romanian citizens before adoption and are now naturalized US citizens but they still hold Romanian passports as well. No big deal.

My wife was born on an American airfield in Japan but was not a citizen of either country until age 18 when she had to choose. She chose USA but has come to regret it. And before an argument begins.....the only American soil in Japan (and in most other countries) is the embassy. A military airfield is still the host countries property. But this does go to show the lack of wisdom our early lawmakers had with regard to citizenship. Someone born on foreign soil to American parents (and military no less) is not automatically an American citizen but someone who manged to be delivered on American soil becomes a citizen upon birth even though neither parent is.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Can I send "Cousin Dougie" back to Canada, and trade for someone different?
    I'll go.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    Is using other peoples money to pay for it part of the basic right? I agree health care should be cheaper but i don't
    bust my ass at work to help others who don't work at all. Pete how many homeless or poor do you house at any
    given time and what is your limit?
    What do you consider "other peoples money"? I pay for our entire society through my taxes and have my entire working life. That is the price of getting to live in this society. If you are one of those "I've got mine and piss on you" you don't belong here. That is not what made this country as great as it used to be (and hopefully will become again).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    I'll go.
    Dougie... Is that you?!?

Spyder Garage

Someone born on foreign soil to American parents (and military no less) is not automatically an American citizen but someone who manged to be delivered on American soil becomes a citizen upon birth even though neither parent is.
    Someone born to ONE American parent is a natural born American citizen.* It has nothing to do with whether you're military or not, even though it happened that I personally was in the military at the time our eldest son was born in the Philippines. His mother was a Philippine citizen then and he was born on Clark Air Base, which was and is property of the Philippine government then under lease to the U.S. Our son was issued his "Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America" and a U.S. passport within a couple of weeks after his birth in the Philippines. Also see: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...th-abroad.html

* Another person here mentioned that the rules may have changed over the years but what I describe here was the law in 1987 and is correct today.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

* Another person here mentioned that the rules may have changed over the years but what I describe here was the law in 1987 and is correct today.
    Yes, the law was changed after the fact. I was referring to the year my wife was born.

Spyder Garage

What do you consider "other peoples money"? I pay for our entire society through my taxes and have my entire working life. That is the price of getting to live in this society. If you are one of those "I've got mine and piss on you" you don't belong here. That is not what made this country as great as it used to be (and hopefully will become again).
    Do you mean it is not great again?

Okay UP, do you see it now? I was just joking.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I think it is time to be reminded what a certain structure means to the world, and to our heritage.

The New Colossus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
    With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
    Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
    A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
    Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
    Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
    Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
    The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
    “Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
    With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”
    Emma Lazarus, 1883

I guess this didn't apply to the Native Americans of that time period.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Do you mean it is not great again?
    No, it is not and worse, with our current total lack of proper legislative action it is going rapidly in the wrong direction.

For your consideration:

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I guess this didn't apply to the Native Americans of that time period.
    Nor to the Irish escaping the potato famine.

Nor to the Asians attempting immigration in the last half of the 1800's (and continuing through the first few decades of the 1900's).

Nor to the Latin Americans trying to find a means of supporting their families of the late 1900's.

America tends to embrace very high ideals which seldom are executed successfully.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sooooo... Where will you be moving to?

And when?