Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can call me:

capptain obvious.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Both sets of grandparents saw Lady Liberty upon immigrating to this country. Legally.
    Mine too. They worked hard, they taught their kids (my parents) to do that, too. And darned if my parents didn't insist we work hard, too!!

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandeejs View Post
    Mine too. They worked hard, they taught their kids (my parents) to do that, too. And darned if my parents didn't insist we work hard, too!! ~Sandee~
    That is the typical immigrant ethic in my experience. And the country is better for them.

So, let's quit with the bashing of newer immigrants, just because they're not primarily from Europe. That's bigotry, not patriotism.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I am 1st generation American. My Father immigrated from Canada and Grandparents to the US via Canada. They didn't sneak, lie, cheat, or steal their way into the US. I suspect the very large majority on this forum have a similar story. Just ask yourself, did my ancestors come here illegally? The problem is not with immigration. The problem is with those people who choose to not follow OUR laws. There is a path to citizenship and legal immigration. We just need to find the best way to deal with the cheaters and law breakers. Because they are cheaters and law breakers period. Let your heart bleed for them. Be sympathetic. But understand we simply cannot accommodate each and every poor soul who wants to be here.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I am 1st generation American. My Father immigrated from Canada and Grandparents to the US via Canada. They didn't sneak, lie, cheat, or steal their way into the US. I suspect the very large majority on this forum have a similar story. Just ask yourself, did my ancestors come here illegally? The problem is not with immigration. The problem is with those people who choose to not follow OUR laws. There is a path to citizenship and legal immigration. We just need to find the best way to deal with the cheaters and law breakers. Because they are cheaters and law breakers period. Let your heart bleed for them. Be sympathetic. But understand we simply cannot accommodate each and every poor soul who wants to be here.
    I agree completely. My heart doesn't bleed for those who circumvented the system and now find themselves in trouble.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I agree completely. My heart doesn't bleed for those who circumvented the system and now find themselves in trouble.
    I do think we need different standards for the people brought here as young children. They had no say in what their parents did and it seems very unjust to send them 'back' to a country in which they never lived.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    I do think we need different standards for the people brought here as young children. They had no say in what their parents did and it seems very unjust to send them 'back' to a country in which they never lived.
    Yep, Congress needs to deal fairly with the 'Dreamer' issue and remove the doubt and fear for these young people.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you're willing to engage in some lengthy reading here are two very interesting research reports by the Pew Research Center about the Hispanic population in the US, what percentage are immigrants vs. US born, and what has been the trend in migration, mostly unauthorized.

In short since about 2000 the net migration from Mexico has been about zero. As many Mexicans are going back to Mexico as are coming here! Less and less of the annual increase in Hispanic population is from migration and more and more from US births.

The report has several tabs. In the tab of Current Data you'll find the following bit of data about the income level of Hispanic families. In 2015 dollars the median household income was $44,800.

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2017/09/1...n-u-s-latinos/
    http://www.pewhispanic.org/2015/11/1...ng-to-the-u-s/

Enjoy the read. It's rather enlightening. At least it is to me!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    As far as I'm concerned it left the tracks a long time ago.
    I think it broke down before it ever left the station. Just get back off and head home and try again Monday.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please tell me that we're not lumping legal, and illegal immigrants into the same pile of people...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    AMEN brother, most of us are immigrants (or descendants of), legal or otherwise at some point in time.

Nice sentiment.

The problem NOW is: The USA may not be equipped to handle the influx of unskilled and untrained people. We might not even be equipped to handle those that are trained AND skilled without having a negative impact on those already here.

I would like to start seeing the REAL unemployment numbers......that don't exclude those who have "given up and aren't looking for work anymore".

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Nice sentiment.

The problem NOW is: The USA may not be equipped to handle the influx of unskilled and untrained people. We might not even be equipped to handle those that are trained AND skilled without having a negative impact on those already here.

I would like to start seeing the REAL unemployment numbers......that don't exclude those who have "given up and aren't looking for work anymore".
    I would like to see real unemployment and REAL employment #'s over the last 50 years. Should be somewhere you would think. I grew up where my mom was a stay at home mom in the fifties and sixties. Then many more women entered the workforce, very few males switched roles. Families became two working households, The divorce rate skyrocketed to 50%, women needed to work to help raise families. Not sure if I am going anywhere with this. But the unemployment% is always given and not the actual number of People.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Please tell me that we're not lumping legal, and illegal immigrants into the same pile of people...
    The problem with Dreamers is they don't fit the legal profile.

They are technically illegal because they did not process through our immigration system but they could hardly be considered as such because they were brought here by their parents or guardians and thus not responsible for their actions.

The USA does not hold children responsible for petty crimes they commit due to age so why is it different for the immigration system?

As for automatic citizenship being born on American soil - that has proved to be a major cause of family disruption recently. Congress should resolve that defect immediately by tying the child(ren) to the citizenship of the mother.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    How would you possibly measure the number of people who are not actively looking for work?

Spyder Garage

You guys all know how the government works. They just like to throw numbers out there and hope something sticks. Kinda like when you cook spaghetti. Pull out a noodle and chunk it at the wall if it sticks it done. If not cook it some more then throw another one

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MR. H1956 View Post
    You guys all know how the government works. They just like to throw numbers out there and hope something sticks. Kinda like when you cook spaghetti. Pull out a noodle and chunk it at the wall if it sticks it done. If not cook it some more then throw another one
    You do realize don't you that in a democracy WE are the government? I realize it hasn't been too responsive lately but it seems progressives have more to complain about than conservatives do. But, responsive or not to specific issues that interest us, there is no THEY.

We have met the enemy and they is us..... Who said that?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They are technically illegal because they did not process through our immigration system but they could hardly be considered as such because they were brought here by their parents or guardians and thus not responsible for their actions.

The USA does not hold children responsible for petty crimes they commit due to age so why is it different for the immigration system?

As for automatic citizenship being born on American soil - that has proved to be a major cause of family disruption recently. Congress should resolve that defect immediately by tying the child(ren) to the citizenship of the mother.
    There's a lot of hypocrisy at work here. Melania, Ted Cruz, etc.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What's a "Dreamer"?
    My family has dreams: I'm sure that yours does also.
    If you're referring to the children brought in by illegal alien parents: I think that our President has tried to offer a solution for them...
    And most of them are already adults now anyway; they could apply for citizenship at ANY time.

Spyder Garage

Let's say that many (Many, many) years ago my pregnant mother goes to Norway (the land of very liberal social benefits) and gives birth to me. Does that make me a Norwegian Citizen and eligible for all the Norwegian benefits? That's what we do with our "anchor baby" program and it's a very big drain on you and me. It has to end.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Let's say that many (Many, many) years ago my pregnant mother goes to Norway (the land of very liberal social benefits) and gives birth to me. Does that make me a Norwegian Citizen and eligible for all the Norwegian benefits? That's what we do with our "anchor baby" program and it's a very big drain on you and me. It has to end.
    Please quantify 'big drain'. The 'big drain' on our economy is; a) our military, b) our so-called homeland 'security', c) the most expensive and cost-inefficient health care system in the world.

Nothing else comes close. Certainly not anchor babies. What liberal social benefits are they collecting anyway? Healthcare? Nope -they pay just like the rest of us.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A Nation that doesn't defend itself: is a goner!
    The Military defends our freedom.
    And since you choose to not use firearms to defend yourself: you should be VERY thankful for them.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    A Nation that doesn't defend itself: is a goner!
    The Military defends our freedom.
    And since you choose to not use firearms to defend yourself: you should be VERY thankful for them.
    are you saying we should arm the citizens and shoot illegals?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I suppose that if they're robbing your house or your business...
    Or threatening your family!

whistling.gif

Spyder Garage

I agree it would be unfair to deport those who lived their whole lives here and are already working adults. No problem with that -- the actual problem is where do you draw the line? At what age must the child have arrived in America? What if the child arrived here at the age of 16 and is now 18? Why should such a child be entitled to special protection? What about 15? 12?

For those who are STILL young children -- even though they may have been brought here as mere infants and grown up thus far in America -- somebody has to raise and take care of them until they are adults. Who is going to do that? If you give them amnesty, does this then mean we also have to accept their illegal immigrant parents to raise them? Is this not, then, benefiting the parents for not following the law?

So, you say, the parents can go home and the children can be raised by other (legal) family members. But at what age do you allow them to do that? Say the child came here at 18 months and is now two years old. Send the child home with its parents or let it stay here with (legal) family members? And is not also cruel to break up a family like that? Would it not be better to send such young children home with their own parents?

As for how "unjust" this is, is it not true that children everywhere pay the price for their parents' misconduct? If a parent commits robbery, for example, his or her child suffers, doesn't he?

I do not know the answers here but I am tired of the constant stereotyping we do in this country. Things are way too complicated for simplistic solutions.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How would you possibly measure the number of people who are not actively looking for work?
    They usually are getting some kind of public assistance.
    Easy to count.

How do they count those who ARE looking......if they aren't drawing unemployment benefits ??