Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My wife at the time and two of my three boys shot handgun silhouette competitively for about ten years. She was women's state champion. My 11 year old son was junior state champion, and I was one of only three international class shooters in the state at the time. We spent countless hours practicing and competing. Had many friends. Never did anyone get hurt. The boys learned respect firearms and still follow all safety guidelines. All are accomplished hunters now.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Today I'm calling for Sensible Knife Control.

Knives kill way more people per year than guns and it's time we take a stand against this killing machines. Knives are designed for ONE propose and that is to slice and dice. I'm calling for all kitchen cutlery to be confiscated and the government will issue one 3" dull butter knife per household. It's time we end this violence with knives.

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Today I'm calling for Sensible Knife Control.

Knives kill way more people per year than guns and it's time we take a stand against this killing machines. Knives are designed for ONE propose and that is to slice and dice. I'm calling for all kitchen cutlery to be confiscated and the government will issue one 3" dull butter knife per household. It's time we end this violence with knives.

I think I hear Randy in the background.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I think I hear Randy in the background.

While we're at it: can we please do something about vacuum cleaners? They scare my dog.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Machinegunner View Post
    My wife at the time and two of my three boys shot handgun silhouette competitively for about ten years. She was women's state champion. My 11 year old son was junior state champion, and I was one of only three international class shooters in the state at the time. We spent countless hours practicing and competing. Had many friends. Never did anyone get hurt. The boys learned respect firearms and still follow all safety guidelines. All are accomplished hunters now.
    It's a legitimate sport, both target shooting and hunting. Nobody wants to impinge on your ability to enjoy your gun-related interests. Registering legal guns and licensing of users wouldn't be that great a burden, would it?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It that's the case: I want to see all motor and motorized vehicles registered to their drivers.
    Give you a list of what you're allowed to drive.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It that's the case: I want to see all motor and motorized vehicles registered to their drivers.
    Give you a list of what you're allowed to drive.
    Isn't that already the case?

My vehicles all have to be registered to be used on public roads, and my license is limited to non-commercial vehicles plus motorcycles with the special endorsement, after demonstrating my ability to drive safely and my knowledge of applicable laws.

How would that be different for guns?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nope... How would you be forbidden from operating anything that isn't registered to you?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nope... How would you be forbidden from operating anything that isn't registered to you?
    I'm not. And my understanding of gun registration and licensing is it would operate the same way.

This is an interesting discussion, by the way. I'm really interested in learning why responsible gun owners are opposed to registration and licensing (aside from the NRA's official positions on it).
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Without the argument about which guns should or should not be allowed, doesn't the NRA serve the same purpose for gun owners as the AMA serves for Motorcycle owners? Protection of our rights. I also don't get how it's is the NRAs fault that some mentally ill (deranged) person goes on a shooting spree. It's like blaming the AMA because some idiot rides his motorcycle through a crowd and kills some people. While we're at it lets get rid of the term "Gun Violence" it is not gun violence, it is violence, but it is an evil act committed with a gun. I also think that the only people that have a right to complain are the victims and their families, the rest of us should put our brains to work and try to come up with a reasonable way to prevent future violence. Making things illegal is probably not the way, it didn't work for alcohol, it hasn't worked for drugs and sure as heck hasn't worked for texting while driving.

Okay, this is the last I' going to say on this, Thanks for listening.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2Paw View Post
    Without the argument about which guns should or should not be allowed, doesn't the NRA serve the same purpose for gun owners as the AMA serves for Motorcycle owners? Protection of our rights. I also don't get how it's is the NRAs fault that some mentally ill (deranged) person goes on a shooting spree. It's like blaming the AMA because some idiot rides his motorcycle through a crowd and kills some people. While we're at it lets get rid of the term "Gun Violence" it is not gun violence, it is violence, but it is an evil act committed with a gun. I also think that the only people that have a right to complain are the victims and their families, the rest of us should put our brains to work and try to come up with a reasonable way to prevent future violence. Making things illegal is probably not the way, it didn't work for alcohol, it hasn't worked for drugs and sure as heck hasn't worked for texting while driving.

Okay, this is the last I' going to say on this, Thanks for listening.
    I agree with you in principle on most of what you say. To me, the difference between the NRA and the AMA is the AMA isn't funded by manufacturers trying to drive motorcycle sales. It's funded by enthusiasts.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't believe we're at this again.

PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is what I know about the 'registration' debate so far (from the Washington Post);

The NRA’s love-hate relationship with a database for background checks
    After the high school shooting in Parkland, Fla., NRA spokeswoman Dana Loesch was on TV lamenting that states don’t send all the required criminal and mental health records to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). Because of these gaps, she said, many people legally barred from buying guns can get them anyway. “It’s not federally mandated,” she said on CNN. “Politicians could change this today; they could change it tomorrow,” she said on ABC News.
    We did some digging and found that politicians did try to change this, 25 years ago, with a federal mandate. And they were blocked — largely by the NRA. The group funded several lawsuits challenging the Brady gun law, which created the NICS, and filed an amicus brief in the Supreme Court arguing that the entire law had to be chucked or federalism would implode in the United States. NRA attorneys said it was unconstitutional to impose a federal mandate on local officials that required them to conduct background checks in the days before NICS was up and running. The Supreme Court agreed and struck down that part of the Brady gun law. Fast-forward 25 years: Loesch complains that nothing in the law requires local officials to feed the background check database (“it’s not federally mandated”).
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I'm not. And my understanding of gun registration and licensing is it would operate the same way.

This is an interesting discussion, by the way. I'm really interested in learning why responsible gun owners are opposed to registration and licensing (aside from the NRA's official positions on it).
    Background checks: I'm good with them!
    Licensing for the purpose of showing that it's okay for a person to own firearms: ditto!

Registering them to the owners?? Hmmm....
    If a Government decided that it didn't want citizens to own firearms any more: pull the database, and start knocking on doors!
    This one gives me problems... Safeguards would need to be in place!

Spyder Garage

The NRA has insurance in case you have to use deadly force to protect yourself. The company that provides that insurance is Chubb. Chubb has decided to drop its relationship with the NRA.

I have the same type of insurance with the USCCA but with more coverage than the NRA’s policy would cover.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

the number 1 killer of black males in the u.s. is black males, who wants to ban black males in urban environments?
    before making any comments, tell me if the stats show it.
    Last edited by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN; 03-03-2018 at 10:55 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can't believe that you just posted that...

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I can't believe that you just posted that...
    it's true, so why doesn't everyone cut the crap on banning this & that. that is how stupid it sounds to me.
    banning cars, knives and everything else.
    common sense is what's needed to save lives. maybe there should be laws mandating people to use it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Interesting read.Have not posted on SL for a long time and just want to say one word before this thread gets closed! WOW!
    Last edited by Netminder; 03-02-2018 at 02:36 PM.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup... It's already circling the bowl...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    And the concert was gun free which ment they had no way to fire back and the hotel calls them selfs gun free
    The hotel was STATED as gun free but neither you nor I know how many people in that crowd were actually armed. The major problem in the crowd, once the gunfire began, was that no one could identify where the shots were coming from.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It's a legitimate sport, both target shooting and hunting. Nobody wants to impinge on your ability to enjoy your gun-related interests. Registering legal guns and licensing of users wouldn't be that great a burden, would it?
    Neither are legitimate sports but rather activities but in keeping with the thread.....

Out West we have a considerable number of people who enjoy off road activities (also not sports). A couple of decades ago most states out here began registering and licensing off road vehicles due to their numbers and the need for funds to maintain designated riding areas. We all bitched about it at the time but in the long run it has become a benefit - both to the lands themselves and to the people who work to maintain them. It has become a non-topic.

If you own and drive motor vehicles you are subject to this requirement. Same with boats and aircraft.

I do not see where the registration and licensing of firearms and their owners, subject to the identical requirement, would be the least bit intrusive to gun enthusiasts.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Universal background checks won't work, because in order to work all the guns have to be registered. Only law abiding people will register theirs. The bad guys won't. If the government decides they have to ban the guns, all they have to do is look at the registration and pick them up. There is no record of the guns owned by the bad guys. So how do you take them if you don't know where they are?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Background checks: I'm good with them!
    Licensing for the purpose of showing that it's okay for a person to own firearms: ditto!

Registering them to the owners?? Hmmm....
    If a Government decided that it didn't want citizens to own firearms any more: pull the database, and start knocking on doors!
    This one gives me problems... Safeguards would need to be in place!
    Thanks for the response. It seems this is the biggest argument against registration of guns (the guv'mint knows where to go to confiscate them). This seems a pretty hollow argument to me and only legitimate if you truly fear that we will lose our democracy to an autocratic police state.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This seems a pretty hollow argument to me and only legitimate if you truly fear that we will lose our democracy to an autocratic police state.
    You're playing the "Short Game"...
    The Founders of this great Country were planning for... forever!
    The Government is set up with a marvelous series of checks and balances.
    The FINAL one, is the armed citizenry.

Those guys were "heart attack serious smart"!
    Their only mistake: they missed the appearance of the "Political Ruling Class". Their primary concern is only to expand their base of power, and keep getting elected.

Had every public office been set up with term limitations: problem solved!