Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yet the drinking age in Texas is 21 ... I shall watch the news for the lawsuit claiming constitutional right to get drunk ...
    Last edited by loisk; 03-01-2018 at 07:06 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default collective approach needed

I am a retired naval bomb disposal officer - I qualified expert on both rifles and pistols. I own 1 rifle, 3 pistols - they are all in safes and will stay there unless needed to kill a rabid animal or the likes. I used to hunt but do not anymore - although I still eat game when someone else brings it to the table More important to this conversation, this thread and nationally:
    I have two children, a son and a daughter in their 40's, with 3 grandchildren in elementary school
    I work in a health care related field with people who are many times on the "edge" or Verge" and often times in chronic pain...... mental health issues abound in this country yet our mental health care systems and pain management methods are deplorable - gutted - is a good term.
    If you had a daughter or son of legal age or spouse with mental health problems, and they already owned a gun - you COULD NOT have it taken away from them unless they had already become a documented threat to themselves or others and many times an incident of this nature goes unreported. Here in Alabama as I was told "unless there is an incident there is no problem". Very hard to have someone legally declared a danger to themselves or others. Depression and schizophrenia and other forms of metal illness like PTSD don't always advertise themselves in a way that gets folks locked up or gets them mandated help. Even folks with professional help - go off their meds - and the issues return. We live at a time when info streams so fast and our little peoples are exposed to sooooo damn much violence on the t.v., the video games, 23 years of endless war and military conflicts and endless terrorist attacks that our most delicate minds, our children and those with mental illness are being ravaged by fear and warped by repetitive images of violence.... many in single parent homes. We sit behind our little computer screens and type how important the 2nd amendment is to our rights. To our safety our security our happiness and rights of self determination but none of us (that I know of) who is arguing about gun ownership rights, has a child or loved one that has bleed out at school or a concert, because the mental health system failed to inform the judicial system (due to someone's privacy rights) THAT DANGER WAS AT HAND.
    YOUR LOVED ones are in DANGER!! We worry so much about the rights of the individual (and criminal) without being more concerned with the rights of the masses (victims).

Lots of analogies are available from fertilizer bombs, to drinking and smoking to texting and driving and so on..... but nothing can inflict so much pain and suffering on so many people (families) churches (people) communities AS SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN LOST IN THE SYSTEM WHICH HAS FAILED THEM and they snap.... Combine that someone with a very lethal weapon that is conveniently close at hand and tragedy of the worst kind ensues. Maybe they were bullied, maybe rejected, maybe just lost in the darkness of despair after loosing the only person that they ever loved, even if it was a pet - it doesn't matter why, when you go over the edge you go over the edge and finding bottom is never pleasant for anyone.
    Will reducing the # of rounds a weapon can hold to 6 stop the deaths? NO - but it will help
    Will removing weapons capable of inflicting mass destruction stop the deaths? NO - but it will help
    Will improving the mental health care affordability and access and referral system in this country stop the deaths? NO - but it will help
    Will computerized and anonymous reporting of potentially dangerous people (on the verge) or whatever by a family member stop the deaths? NO but it will help.
    Will temporarily removing the guns from a home where firearm security (safes and trigger locks) are not available stop the deaths? NO but it will help
    Will putting the lives of people in mass before the enjoyment of single right to bear arms gun ownership stop the deaths? NO but it will help
    Will getting the entertainment industry like Hollywood and video game producers to minimize violent content stop the deaths? No but it will help
    Will politicians stop taking monies from the firearm industry stop the deaths? NO but it will help
    Will requiring the private sale of handguns to be run through a licensed firearm dealer to ensure background checks stop the deaths? NO - but it will help.
    Will mandating training and licensing for firearms stop the deaths? NO but it will help.
    These are just a few things that, IMO, would help, and each of them comes with many pro's and con's; but together, collectively, they could make a huge difference. If one of these things could stop your most loved one from dying tomorrow - what would that be worth to you?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    And what then happens to the armed teacher when they hear people being shot in the next room? Do they continue to hunker down?

This is just more NRA BS!
    Any thoughts on the armed security (SRO) that never entered the building during the Florida School shooting, while the shooter was active?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Not to be argumentative, but if that's the case what is the point of the teacher being armed?

And, then there's this; https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texa...ot-man-disarms
    A Teacher's responsibility is to the Students in that classroom... keep the situation from becoming even worse. This is a defensive tactic: MUCH more training would be needed, if you wanted the School Personnel to go on the offensive.
    If I were a School Administrator: I wouldn't want my personnel roaming the Halls looking for a fight.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Aim for the proper target: the NRA believes in responsible ownership of firearms, marksmanship and personal safety training for adults, and their Eddie Eagle Program teaches kids to:
    STOP!
    DON'T TOUCH!
    LEAVE THE AREA!
    TELL AN ADULT!
    while i do agree with those statements the nra also says semi auto & high capacity "hell yea".

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    There is not a law on the books or one that can be made that will keep a criminal or nut from acquiring and using a gun. They just don't pay attention to laws. End of story.
    unless you believe that the u.s. has more criminals or nut jobs then other western countries then i would like to know
    why our criminals have more guns and where do they come from?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And what then happens to the armed teacher when they hear people being shot in the next room? Do they continue to hunker down?

This is just more NRA BS
    !
    No... It's smart gunfighting tactics!
    1. Protect your classroom... lock the door, and remain hidden off to one side of it...
    2. You'd have to get a feel for the situation; in order to know if you could react to gunshots in an adjoining room. If the mutt went in, and was taking the time to shoot everyone : that WOULD in theory: give you time enough to unlock your door (QUIETLY!!!!!), and shoot the mutt as he leaves the room...

..But that's a call made at the moment, by the person in the room. Without the training necessary: they would be exposing themselves and their students to Death Sentences...

There is NO such thing as a fair gunfight, and second place finishes get you buried.
    If you can ambush the Mutt without endangering the Students: it would be what I'd do!

Spyder Garage

i would like to say 20 years ago i dated a shrink for about a year, she ran the psych department for a hospital, she
    worked mostly on tweens & young teens, she would tell me all the time these kids were screwed up because of the
    parents. she also told me some of them would possibly become future serial killers. she was limited on what she
    could do to the parents and for the kids.
    Yes it is the parents fault but don't forget who does the act.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Perhaps we really need "Procreation Regulation and Registration".

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    Yet the drinking age in Texas is 21 ... I shall watch the news for the lawsuit claiming constitutional right to get drunk ...
    Drinking is not a constitutional right. The drinking age in any state has nothing to do with the right to bear arms.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I noticed that Dick's Sporting Goods has stopped selling 'assault-type' weapons and large capacity magazines. And, I believe they have voluntarily raised the age limit for purchasing weapons to 21. Seems like a reasonable approach to the school shooter issue by a large company.
    They're jumping on the anti-AR15 bandwagon. They stopped selling them several years ago, except in a very few of their stores that have a different name. I think this news is about a change of policy in only those few stores.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    I don't get why people are so defensive about the NRA. Nobody in this thread attacked the NRA. Someone simply pointed out that some companies cut their ties with the NRA. Cutting ties is not a condemnation of the NRA, that's either (a) a business decision that the companies think the association reflects badly on them, or (b) the companies exercising their First Amendment rights. It may be a stupid business decision, it may be a stupid "statement" to make, but it's THEIR constitutional right.

As for arming teachers, it seems to me that the answer to gun violence in schools is not to bring more guns to school, especially in the classroom. I could foresee a teacher forgetting to safeguard the gun and a student stealing it and starting shooting. Or a teacher boils over and goes postal on his students. I could more easily agree with the principal and some of the administration being armed although even then there is still a risk that someone goes postal. I'd agree with installing metal detectors before I'd agree with bringing more guns to school.
    Of course it's about the NRA. That's what it's about for those businesses.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    Well the first instance of an armed teacher going nuts just occurred today. Didn't take long,did it. Seems like several of you predicted this in earlier posts.
    Meanwhile an interesting article regarding the reduction of gun related injuries during the nra conventions. Nationally there has been a drop of 20%. This was published in the New England Journal of Medicine,(renown for fake news) and authored by professors from Harvard and Columbia U.
    Too bad there wasn't another armed teacher in the vicinity to help end the situation sooner!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looks like Walmart jumped on the bandwagon too. The bandwagon just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Won't help though until its decided to stop it altogether. No more military style weapons for civilians. No more high capacity magazines. No more bump stocks or the like. Get the NRA back to it's original purpose instead of being the shill for the gun manufacturers.
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

IF YOU FAVOR OUR GOVERNMENT DISARMING ITS CITIZENS... READ THIS : THIS IS FACT.. NOT FICTION ... THINK IT COULD NOT HAPPEN HERE... SO DID THESE CITIZENS OF OTHER COUNTRIES ..

Here’s a history of what happens after governments have disarmed their citizens:1911 – Turkey disarmed it’s citizens, and between 1915 – 1917 they murdered 1.5 million Armenians.1929 – Russia disarmed it’s citizens, and between 1929 – 1953 they murdered 20 million Russians.1935 – China disarmed it’s citizens, and between 1948 – 1952 they murdered 20 million Chinese.1938 – Germany disarmed it’s citizens, and between 1939 – 1945 they murdered 16 million Jews.1956 – Cambodia disarmed it’s citizens, and between 1975 – 1977 they murdered 1 million Educated people.1964 – Guatamala disarmed it’s citizens, and between 1964 – 1981 they murdered 100,000 Mayan Indians.1970 – Uganda disarmed it’s citizens, and between 1971 – 1979 they murdered 300,000 Christians.[Editor: You can argue about the numbers, but the point here is that disarmed citizens are vulnerable, and that there are many historical examples of disarmed citizens being killed and oppressed by their own government. The excuse given by authorities that they need to take guns away from citizens in order to lower crime rates is not supported by facts. Even if a government does not turn on its own citizens after disarming them, people are less safe – because unarmed citizens are easy targets to criminals. Over and over again, it has been clearly shown that taking guns away from citizens does not lead to a decrease in crime but rather a dramatic increase.]Australia has disarmed it’s citizens, and a year later the homicide rate in the largest province is up 300%. The burglaries of seniors is “dramatically” up.I guess the criminals did not turn their weapons in. Only the innocent law abiding citizens turned in weapons.In US cities with the highest crime rates, taking guns away from the citizens has not lowered the homicide rate. All it has done is to make it easier for criminals to operate.The 2nd amendment is not about duck hunting, or deer hunting. It is about having the ability and the right to defend oneself and your family. It doesn’t matter if that threat is a burglar, or the Federal Government. A disarmed population is fair game for any president who may be aspiring to become a dictator. Having its citizens armed was the plain and simple intent of the founding fathers of our country.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If we don't learn from our past: we are doomed to repeat it...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    gun free zones just say come on in and do what you want just the threat that there could be a gun waiting on the out side will be a big deterrent
    Maybe it should be.......but it isn't.

It is all about who "gets the drop" first.

No matter what kind or how many guns you have........if the bad guy(s) has his pointed at your head from 12 inches away FIRST......you are pretty much screwed. Reaching for any kind of weapon in that situation is NOT a smart thing to do.

There is no such thing as a "gun free zone" without effective screening at the doors.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If we don't learn from our past: we are doomed to repeat it...
    Right. We tried "open carry" for a fairly long time back in the 1800s.........and it didn't work very good.
    It won't work very good now either.

And those who point to "gun confiscation" in other countries in the past are just throwing up an inflammatory smoke screen.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Maybe it should be.......but it isn't.

It is all about who "gets the drop" first.

No matter what kind or how many guns you have........if the bad guy(s) has his pointed at your head from 12 inches away FIRST......you are pretty much screwed. Reaching for any kind of weapon in that situation is NOT a smart thing to do.

There is no such thing as a "gun free zone" without effective screening at the doors.
    Tactics, Man... you're completely ignoring the fact that it's tactics, that make the difference.
    Situational awareness keeps them from getting that close to you... ever!

"screening at the doors"??? You're joking: aren't you?
    You need to harden the entrances!
    NOBODY gets in; without being let in!

Spyder Garage

Everyone has got this thing wrong! Guns don't kill people, people do...
    these idiots that do these bad deeds are going to get a gun in their hands no matter what anyone does!!
    The companies that are dropping their association with NRA have it all wrong also. Our own bureaucratic system failed on the Florida shooter!
    Put the blame where it belongs, we have way too much Government in our lives..
    BIG F

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

No... It's smart gunfighting tactics!
    1. Protect your classroom... lock the door, and remain hidden off to one side of it...
    2. You'd have to get a feel for the situation; in order to know if you could react to gunshots in an adjoining room. If the mutt went in, and was taking the time to shoot everyone : that WOULD in theory: give you time enough to unlock your door (QUIETLY!!!!!), and shoot the mutt as he leaves the room...

..But that's a call made at the moment, by the person in the room. Without the training necessary: they would be exposing themselves and their students to Death Sentences...

There is NO such thing as a fair gunfight, and second place finishes get you buried.
    If you can ambush the Mutt without endangering the Students: it would be what I'd do!
    If any teacher was already concerned enough to get a firearm and the necessary training I would assume they would have already done so. If they haven't, well, that tells another story.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    Everyone has got this thing wrong! Guns don't kill people, people do...
    these idiots that do these bad deeds are going to get a gun in their hands no matter what anyone does!!
    The companies that are dropping their association with NRA have it all wrong also. Our own bureaucratic system failed on the Florida shooter!
    Put the blame where it belongs, we have way too much Government in our lives..
    BIG F
    CORRECTION: People with guns kill people!

And yes, if you are truly a bad guy you can find a gun somewhere BUT you should know that not one of the school shooters nor the LV shooter had police records. Not one of them. So, they weren't the "bad guy" until they pulled the trigger and mowed down a lot of innocent people.

The companies dropping their NRA bennies are retreating from a brand fiasco. They don't want to be on the wrong (read: losing) side of this issue. See my earlier post for a more complete description of why they are doing this. It has to do with business and not politics or gun control per se.

And yes, your Flori-duh authorities at multiple levels completely dropped the ball on this and should be held accountable. That would be in my list of things to look at but only after we remove as many of the weapons as possible.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I noticed that Dick's Sporting Goods has stopped selling 'assault-type' weapons and large capacity magazines. And, I believe they have voluntarily raised the age limit for purchasing weapons to 21. Seems like a reasonable approach to the school shooter issue by a large company.
    I just became a big Dick's Sporting Goods fan!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Wow. I've never heard that argument before. So coherent, too.
    Pete your sarcasm is showing!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

I think he was being facetious with the parenthetical remark.
    Agreed, that was sarcasm being displayed!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If any teacher was already concerned enough to get a firearm and the necessary training I would assume they would have already done so. If they haven't, well, that tells another story.
    In many Districts: Schools are currently Gun-Free Zones...