Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I noticed that Dick's Sporting Goods has stopped selling 'assault-type' weapons and large capacity magazines. And, I believe they have voluntarily raised the age limit for purchasing weapons to 21. Seems like a reasonable approach to the school shooter issue by a large company.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 02-28-2018 at 02:55 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

A possible future scenario:

Teachers are allowed to have firearms for protection in schools (like pilots can do now). They have also hired retired military or police to guard the premisis.

What happens when one of the "carriers" goes rouge, loses it, and shoots up another school?

That's is what scares me over this whole situation. There is NO good answer--IMO.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The larger issues of gun control and mental health resources needs to be addressed by Congress. It's nice to see large, influential companies doing what they can to stem the violence.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry, but it's not the NRA's fault.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Machinegunner View Post
    Aim for the proper target: the NRA believes in responsible ownership of firearms, marksmanship and personal safety training for adults, and their Eddie Eagle Program teaches kids to:
    STOP!
    DON'T TOUCH!
    LEAVE THE AREA!
    TELL AN ADULT!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Machinegunner View Post
    Yes it is, mostly.

NRA bought and paid for by firearms makers.

Congress critters bought and paid for by the NRA.

There is no logic or reason in the NRAs recent stone-wall positions on the subject.
    That organization has been taken over by radicals.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    What happens when one of the "carriers" goes rouge, loses it, and shoots up another school?
    MORE guns is not the answer to anything.......no matter who's hands they are initially IN.
    Most of the gun "crimes" are committed with a firearm that is stolen from it's first, legal owner.

And I saw a message from one teacher something to the affect:
    What happens when there is an "incident".....and I get the students in my class hunkered down in their room......and then take out my piece and load it........and proceed out into the hallway........and meet the swat team or other LEOs coming into the building........and there I stand with a gun in my hand. ???????

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    MORE guns is not the answer to anything.......no matter who's hands they are initially IN.
    Most of the gun "crimes" are committed with a firearm that is stolen from it's first, legal owner.

What happens when there is an "incident".....and I get the students in my class hunkered down in their room......and then take out my piece and load it........and proceed out into the hallway........and meet the swat team or other LEOs coming into the building........and there I stand with a gun in my hand. ???????
    gun free zones just say come on in and do what you want just the threat that there could be a gun waiting on the out side will be a big deterrent

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Shouldn't there be an intelligence test and 'means' test before giving out marriage licenses? Maybe a mental aptitude test, too. And, a waiting period of six months at least.
    There's little doubt that the dumb ones are breeding faster than the rest of us!

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    gun free zones just say come on in and do what you want just the threat that there could be a gun waiting on the out side will be a big deterrent
    It's about like ringing the dinner bell...

Spyder Garage

I heard someone talk about a common factor being the lack of a good male role model in the family. Bluntly put no one has shown them what a real man is.

In high school, several of us had guns and ammo in our vehicles (And fishing rods). I think our main thoughts by about 2 o’clock revolved around shooting birds or rodents or catching a few walleye. My how the times have changed...
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    Maybe it should be.......but it isn't.

It is all about who "gets the drop" first.

No matter what kind or how many guns you have........if the bad guy(s) has his pointed at your head from 12 inches away FIRST......you are pretty much screwed. Reaching for any kind of weapon in that situation is NOT a smart thing to do.

There is no such thing as a "gun free zone" without effective screening at the doors.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Could you tell us the source of that statement?
    If a Teacher were to be armed: their SOLE purpose, is to get the students secure, lock the door, and wait for the Law Enforcement Personnel to come get them.
    They will announce their presence before entering, and the Teacher should respond: letting them know that there is a firearm in the room with them. They would then be given instructions as to how they should stand down...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Could you tell us the source of that statement? If a Teacher were to be armed: their SOLE purpose, is to get the students secure, lock the door, and wait for the Law Enforcement Personnel to come get them. They will announce their presence before entering, and the Teacher should respond: letting them know that there is a firearm in the room with them. They would then be given instructions as to how they should stand down...
    Not to be argumentative, but if that's the case what is the point of the teacher being armed?

And, then there's this; https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texa...ot-man-disarms
    Last edited by UtahPete; 02-28-2018 at 07:48 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Could you tell us the source of that statement?
    If a Teacher were to be armed: their SOLE purpose, is to get the students secure, lock the door, and wait for the Law Enforcement Personnel to come get them.
    They will announce their presence before entering, and the Teacher should respond: letting them know that there is a firearm in the room with them. They would then be given instructions as to how they should stand down...
    And what then happens to the armed teacher when they hear people being shot in the next room? Do they continue to hunker down?

This is just more NRA BS!

Spyder Garage

Default One very effective tactic...

Would be to stop making celebrities out of the killers. It’s blatently obvious that these morons want fame. And the media feeds it to them on a silver platter. The first thing we all see is a nice clear head shot with the killer’s name plastered all over every news outlet possible.
    Keep making them famous and they will keep shooting the place up.
    This is not rocket science. Im stunned that there hasnt been more attention paid to asking what the killers actually get out of this.
    It’s the infamy, it’s the legend status they think they get in the world of morons. If we stopped plastering them all over the media, you would see a dramatic drop in these events. Id bet the farm on it.

Spyder Garage

Default collective approach needed

I am a retired naval bomb disposal officer - I qualified expert on both rifles and pistols. I own 1 rifle, 3 pistols - they are all in safes and will stay there unless needed to kill a rabid animal or the likes. I used to hunt but do not anymore - although I still eat game when someone else brings it to the table More important to this conversation, this thread and nationally:
    I have two children, a son and a daughter in their 40's, with 3 grandchildren in elementary school
    I work in a health care related field with people who are many times on the "edge" or Verge" and often times in chronic pain...... mental health issues abound in this country yet our mental health care systems and pain management methods are deplorable - gutted - is a good term.
    If you had a daughter or son of legal age or spouse with mental health problems, and they already owned a gun - you COULD NOT have it taken away from them unless they had already become a documented threat to themselves or others and many times an incident of this nature goes unreported. Here in Alabama as I was told "unless there is an incident there is no problem". Very hard to have someone legally declared a danger to themselves or others. Depression and schizophrenia and other forms of metal illness like PTSD don't always advertise themselves in a way that gets folks locked up or gets them mandated help. Even folks with professional help - go off their meds - and the issues return. We live at a time when info streams so fast and our little peoples are exposed to sooooo damn much violence on the t.v., the video games, 23 years of endless war and military conflicts and endless terrorist attacks that our most delicate minds, our children and those with mental illness are being ravaged by fear and warped by repetitive images of violence.... many in single parent homes. We sit behind our little computer screens and type how important the 2nd amendment is to our rights. To our safety our security our happiness and rights of self determination but none of us (that I know of) who is arguing about gun ownership rights, has a child or loved one that has bleed out at school or a concert, because the mental health system failed to inform the judicial system (due to someone's privacy rights) THAT DANGER WAS AT HAND.
    YOUR LOVED ones are in DANGER!! We worry so much about the rights of the individual (and criminal) without being more concerned with the rights of the masses (victims).

Lots of analogies are available from fertilizer bombs, to drinking and smoking to texting and driving and so on..... but nothing can inflict so much pain and suffering on so many people (families) churches (people) communities AS SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN LOST IN THE SYSTEM WHICH HAS FAILED THEM and they snap.... Combine that someone with a very lethal weapon that is conveniently close at hand and tragedy of the worst kind ensues. Maybe they were bullied, maybe rejected, maybe just lost in the darkness of despair after loosing the only person that they ever loved, even if it was a pet - it doesn't matter why, when you go over the edge you go over the edge and finding bottom is never pleasant for anyone.
    Will reducing the # of rounds a weapon can hold to 6 stop the deaths? NO - but it will help
    Will removing weapons capable of inflicting mass destruction stop the deaths? NO - but it will help
    Will improving the mental health care affordability and access and referral system in this country stop the deaths? NO - but it will help
    Will computerized and anonymous reporting of potentially dangerous people (on the verge) or whatever by a family member stop the deaths? NO but it will help.
    Will temporarily removing the guns from a home where firearm security (safes and trigger locks) are not available stop the deaths? NO but it will help
    Will putting the lives of people in mass before the enjoyment of single right to bear arms gun ownership stop the deaths? NO but it will help
    Will getting the entertainment industry like Hollywood and video game producers to minimize violent content stop the deaths? No but it will help
    Will politicians stop taking monies from the firearm industry stop the deaths? NO but it will help
    Will requiring the private sale of handguns to be run through a licensed firearm dealer to ensure background checks stop the deaths? NO - but it will help.
    Will mandating training and licensing for firearms stop the deaths? NO but it will help.
    These are just a few things that, IMO, would help, and each of them comes with many pro's and con's; but together, collectively, they could make a huge difference. If one of these things could stop your most loved one from dying tomorrow - what would that be worth to you?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IF YOU FAVOR OUR GOVERNMENT DISARMING ITS CITIZENS... READ THIS : THIS IS FACT.. NOT FICTION ... THINK IT COULD NOT HAPPEN HERE... SO DID THESE CITIZENS OF OTHER COUNTRIES ..

Here’s a history of what happens after governments have disarmed their citizens:1911 – Turkey disarmed it’s citizens, and between 1915 – 1917 they murdered 1.5 million Armenians.1929 – Russia disarmed it’s citizens, and between 1929 – 1953 they murdered 20 million Russians.1935 – China disarmed it’s citizens, and between 1948 – 1952 they murdered 20 million Chinese.1938 – Germany disarmed it’s citizens, and between 1939 – 1945 they murdered 16 million Jews.1956 – Cambodia disarmed it’s citizens, and between 1975 – 1977 they murdered 1 million Educated people.1964 – Guatamala disarmed it’s citizens, and between 1964 – 1981 they murdered 100,000 Mayan Indians.1970 – Uganda disarmed it’s citizens, and between 1971 – 1979 they murdered 300,000 Christians.[Editor: You can argue about the numbers, but the point here is that disarmed citizens are vulnerable, and that there are many historical examples of disarmed citizens being killed and oppressed by their own government. The excuse given by authorities that they need to take guns away from citizens in order to lower crime rates is not supported by facts. Even if a government does not turn on its own citizens after disarming them, people are less safe – because unarmed citizens are easy targets to criminals. Over and over again, it has been clearly shown that taking guns away from citizens does not lead to a decrease in crime but rather a dramatic increase.]Australia has disarmed it’s citizens, and a year later the homicide rate in the largest province is up 300%. The burglaries of seniors is “dramatically” up.I guess the criminals did not turn their weapons in. Only the innocent law abiding citizens turned in weapons.In US cities with the highest crime rates, taking guns away from the citizens has not lowered the homicide rate. All it has done is to make it easier for criminals to operate.The 2nd amendment is not about duck hunting, or deer hunting. It is about having the ability and the right to defend oneself and your family. It doesn’t matter if that threat is a burglar, or the Federal Government. A disarmed population is fair game for any president who may be aspiring to become a dictator. Having its citizens armed was the plain and simple intent of the founding fathers of our country.

Spyder Garage

The NRA has insurance in case you have to use deadly force to protect yourself. The company that provides that insurance is Chubb. Chubb has decided to drop its relationship with the NRA.

I have the same type of insurance with the USCCA but with more coverage than the NRA’s policy would cover.

Spyder Garage

Angry NRA

I spent 26 years of my life in the service. I have never believed that anybody needs a rifle larger than a Garland M1. If you can’t get your Deer with an M1, stop hunting. I believe it is BS that people need an AR15, or an AK47. That said, companies that drop the NRA are blamiming them for these school killings, when it is societies fault for closing Nut Houses. The idiot in Parkland was know by family and friends to be a Soace Cadet, and nobody did a thing. Also, this guy need to be executed plain and simple!

Spyder Garage

Default I need some WIND THERAPY!

Stop the media from publicizing the shooter's exploits all over the TV, newspapers, social media, etc. and making the shooter famous. This only creates "Charlie Copycat" wanting the same exposure. Enforce the laws already on the books. There are no quick solutions here, but these knee jerk responses and hurried proposals are not going to solve these problems. Start with the basics by bringing back discipline in the school systems and quit coddling these kids. Demand performance and compliance and make known the consequences of disobedience.
    Require judges to actually penalize those found guilty instead of giving them PBJ and letting them walk. Maybe it's time we stop making excuses and start making people accountable for their actions.

Okay, off my soap box now - - Go away winter - - I need some WIND THERAPY!!!
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

They are trained to identify and only engage active shooters. As long as you listen to their instructions and don't become a threat yourself . These people are professional we don't go in and start shooting like the wild wild west...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Davewho View Post
    They are trained to identify and only engage active shooters. As long as you listen to their instructions and don't become a threat yourself . These people are professional we don't go in and start shooting like the wild wild west...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Davewho View Post
    They are PEOPLE, just like you and me.
    They sometimes make mistakes.

And yes, that includes firing at targets that aren't fully identified sometimes.