Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I noticed that Dick's Sporting Goods has stopped selling 'assault-type' weapons and large capacity magazines. And, I believe they have voluntarily raised the age limit for purchasing weapons to 21. Seems like a reasonable approach to the school shooter issue by a large company.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 02-28-2018 at 02:55 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

A possible future scenario:

Teachers are allowed to have firearms for protection in schools (like pilots can do now). They have also hired retired military or police to guard the premisis.

What happens when one of the "carriers" goes rouge, loses it, and shoots up another school?

That's is what scares me over this whole situation. There is NO good answer--IMO.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The larger issues of gun control and mental health resources needs to be addressed by Congress. It's nice to see large, influential companies doing what they can to stem the violence.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry, but it's not the NRA's fault.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Machinegunner View Post
    Aim for the proper target: the NRA believes in responsible ownership of firearms, marksmanship and personal safety training for adults, and their Eddie Eagle Program teaches kids to:
    STOP!
    DON'T TOUCH!
    LEAVE THE AREA!
    TELL AN ADULT!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

There is not a law on the books or one that can be made that will keep a criminal or nut from acquiring and using a gun. They just don't pay attention to laws. End of story.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I don't get why people are so defensive about the NRA. Nobody in this thread attacked the NRA. Someone simply pointed out that some companies cut their ties with the NRA. Cutting ties is not a condemnation of the NRA, that's either (a) a business decision that the companies think the association reflects badly on them, or (b) the companies exercising their First Amendment rights. It may be a stupid business decision, it may be a stupid "statement" to make, but it's THEIR constitutional right.

As for arming teachers, it seems to me that the answer to gun violence in schools is not to bring more guns to school, especially in the classroom. I could foresee a teacher forgetting to safeguard the gun and a student stealing it and starting shooting. Or a teacher boils over and goes postal on his students. I could more easily agree with the principal and some of the administration being armed although even then there is still a risk that someone goes postal. I'd agree with installing metal detectors before I'd agree with bringing more guns to school.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I didn't say anything about the NRA. I said it's nice to see large, respectable companies like Dick's take reasonable steps to limit gun violence.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    What happens when one of the "carriers" goes rouge, loses it, and shoots up another school?
    MORE guns is not the answer to anything.......no matter who's hands they are initially IN.
    Most of the gun "crimes" are committed with a firearm that is stolen from it's first, legal owner.

And I saw a message from one teacher something to the affect:
    What happens when there is an "incident".....and I get the students in my class hunkered down in their room......and then take out my piece and load it........and proceed out into the hallway........and meet the swat team or other LEOs coming into the building........and there I stand with a gun in my hand. ???????

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Machinegunner View Post
    Yes it is, mostly.

NRA bought and paid for by firearms makers.

Congress critters bought and paid for by the NRA.

There is no logic or reason in the NRAs recent stone-wall positions on the subject.
    That organization has been taken over by radicals.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default parenting

lets be real this stems from the lack off good parenting

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BINGO!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Not an easy solution

I have major issues with the blaming of mental illness for these shootings. I have been a psych nurse most of my adult life, and notice that for the most part, the mentally ill are VICTIMS, they are not perpetrators. They frequently use easily obtained guns to hurt themselves. The prisons are full of people who would like to blame their crimes on "mental illness". And, when they claim that in front of a judge, the examination shows that they know right from wrong, knew what they were doing was wrong, but did it anyway. Or, did it because they knew it was wrong.

Looked up reports from Australia, how they handled mass shootings. Interesting, they followed one guy and the best info was that he wanted to become famous. He was counting up how many people he killed, was it more than the last killer!?! In response, Australia did not use his name in newspapers (or used it very little). They started a "buyback" program for guns. There's some other things they did, too. Cant remember all of it. As a result, gun crimes and suicide by guns are down to considerably.

Its easy to blame the NRA, mental illness, the law etc. In reality, its a complex issue, needing complex solutions.

Also, I have one son who is a teacher. The thought of him carrying a gun to school scares the %#&($*!)(@Z$Y* out of me.

~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Parenting

Yea, bad parenting is part of the problem. If every kid with bad parenting became a mass shooter, the world would be empty.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How about those Eagles, huh?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Those damn "Iggles"...

Lifelong Giants fan here...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    lets be real this stems from the lack off good parenting
    Shouldn't there be an intelligence test and 'means' test before giving out marriage licenses? Maybe a mental aptitude test, too. And, a waiting period of six months at least.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    MORE guns is not the answer to anything.......no matter who's hands they are initially IN.
    Most of the gun "crimes" are committed with a firearm that is stolen from it's first, legal owner.

What happens when there is an "incident".....and I get the students in my class hunkered down in their room......and then take out my piece and load it........and proceed out into the hallway........and meet the swat team or other LEOs coming into the building........and there I stand with a gun in my hand. ???????
    gun free zones just say come on in and do what you want just the threat that there could be a gun waiting on the out side will be a big deterrent
    2 happy happy spyders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Shouldn't there be an intelligence test and 'means' test before giving out marriage licenses? Maybe a mental aptitude test, too. And, a waiting period of six months at least.
    There's little doubt that the dumb ones are breeding faster than the rest of us!

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    gun free zones just say come on in and do what you want just the threat that there could be a gun waiting on the out side will be a big deterrent
    It's about like ringing the dinner bell...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

THIS is the subject matter of this thread. I quote the article below; it has nothing to do with the gun debate. This is a business decision pure and simple.

Two major airlines. A cybersecurity firm. Six car rental brands. A home security company. An Omaha bank. Companies have scrambled to cut ties with the National Rifle Association over the past couple of days, and the list continued to grow into the weekend. Delta Air Lines announced Saturday morning that it’s ending discounted rates for NRA members. “We will be requesting that the NRA remove our information from their website,” the company said in a tweet. United Airlines followed a short time later, saying the company will no longer offer discounts on flights to the NRA annual meeting. And TrueCar, a car buying service, said late Friday that it would end its deal with the NRA as of February 28.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Sure glad I don't use/or need, any of those companies! Mac

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it.....

Sadly they are not doing it willingly but from fear. Dick's is looking for publicity seeing as they stopped selling those guns in their main stores after Sandy hook six years ago. As mentioned the value of life has been so diminished it will take generations of learning to eliminate such incedents. but agreed this is not the NRA at fault...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post

Could you tell us the source of that statement?
    If a Teacher were to be armed: their SOLE purpose, is to get the students secure, lock the door, and wait for the Law Enforcement Personnel to come get them.
    They will announce their presence before entering, and the Teacher should respond: letting them know that there is a firearm in the room with them. They would then be given instructions as to how they should stand down...