Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Accident In Ypsilanti, MI

Ryder in critical condition. Here is to hoping she comes through this ok. It appears she wasn't paying attention, so sad.

a78_file2.jpg

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/...rted_moto.html
    Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When discussing the Spyder's integrated safety syatems,
    This reminds me of an old adage:
    "The problem with trying to make something foolproof, is that it's easy to underestimate the fools."
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Hate to see this....

's that she will come out of this and recover.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thoughts and to the victim.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Prayers for a full recovery. Always an eye opener when something like that happens.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default Cautionary tale

That she'll recover, for her family, for all those affected by this tragic accident.
    that this lesson will reach someone else early enough to avoid their own....
    I try to watch all the right side passing accident videos each spring to remind me to NOT risk it just cause I want to get around some slow mover.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Whatever happened, I think the Spyder stayed intact pretty good. I've seen worse damage to a 2 wheel bike hitting a car ,just saying.

I hope the rider will be ok.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

I did check out the article, but now I'm confused....

The driver of the other vehicle said she was waiting to turn LEFT & she saw the Spyder coming up fast behind her.... OK, so far anyway.... but then how come the RIGHT hand side of the Spyder impacted on the RIGHT hand side rear of the vehicle??? SO that's what gets me confused - I can't quite work out how that could happen in the manner it has been explained?!?

If I have this correct, with the Spyder coming from behind a vehicle waiting to turn LEFT, then it should be LH Front of the Spyder colliding with LH Rear of the vehicle, but we can see fairly clearly that RH front of the Spyder that impacted with the RH Rear of vehicle... Soooo, something just doesn't add up here.... altho admittedly the only person that we've seen any comment from is the car driver.... But if she was waiting to turn left & then changed her mind about that turning left bit & pulled back right to continue on or maybe even turned RIGHT instead... then suddenly the front RH of the Spyder colliding with RH rear of vehicle becomes waaay more likely!!

Still, we are only getting a tiny snapshot of what might have happened, and while we've only heard from the person who would really want it to be the other person's fault & who isn't in a position to shed any light on what occurred, there's obviously a whole lot more that we just aren't privy to!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-28-2018 at 09:02 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Me too. I re-read the article several times and it still didn't make sense to me either.

Here in the States the most common type of motorcycle/car-truck collision are cages turning left in front of an oncoming bike. I realize this collision isn't one of those but I always use extra caution when approaching a left turn lane coming the opposite direction. I have seen car drivers look me straight in the eye and pull right in front. Unbelievable!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The driver of the other vehicle said she was waiting to turn LEFT & she saw the Spyder coming up fast behind her.... OK, so far anyway.... but then how come the RIGHT hand side of the Spyder impacted on the RIGHT hand side rear of the vehicle??? SO that's what gets me confused - I can't quite work out how that could happen in the manner it has been explained?!?

If I have this correct, with the Spyder coming from behind a vehicle waiting to turn LEFT, then it should be LH Front of the Spyder colliding with LH Rear of the vehicle, but we can see fairly clearly that RH front of the Spyder that impacted with the RH Rear of vehicle... Soooo, something just doesn't add up here.... altho admittedly the only person that we've seen any comment from is the car driver.... But if she was waiting to turn left & then changed her mind about that turning left bit & pulled back right to continue on or maybe even turned RIGHT instead... then suddenly the front RH of the Spyder colliding with RH rear of vehicle becomes waaay more likely!!

Still, we are only getting a tiny snapshot of what might have happened, and while we've only heard from the person who would really want it to be the other person's fault & who isn't in a position to shed any light on what occurred, there's obviously a whole lot more that we just aren't privy to!!
    My thoughts exactly. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Left turn Clyde

Also if your turning Left how can you look in the mirror and decide someone is going at a high rate of speed? Looks like to me they turned left in front of the spyder. JMHO This is proof that a picture is worth a 1000 words... I for ALL that was involved. Ridding season is just getting started so lets ALL keep aware of our surroundings.
    Think Safe
    Ride Safelyier LOL That's my new word for the day.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It could have been as simple as the Spyder's last second attempts to avoid the car; causing a loss of control, and a bit of a skid (ABS and VSS notwithstanding...)

You see the stopped car; with no time to react!
    You crank hard right on the bars, and the tail wags to the left...
    And you over-correct: causing the tail to wag to the right...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 03-01-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good catch.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ES44AC View Post
    Whatever happened, I think the Spyder stayed intact pretty good. I've seen worse damage to a 2 wheel bike hitting a car ,just saying.
    Well I'm "just saying" that you are dreaming. Click on the picture to make it look larger, put you glasses on and take another look. This trikes front-end looks about as mangled-up as most of the bikes that hit something that's not moving.

Let me help you out here, I have enlarged and somewhat enhanced the picture so you might look a bit longer and see the damage. The whole front end of the trike looks to be bent around to the right and that right front wheel is way out there. My guess is that the driver went flying. A person on a bike would have likely had the same fate, would have gone flying and had a bent-up front-end.

Too much patting each other on the back here trying to convince each other how entirely safe the trikes are.

a78_file2 - Copy.jpg
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

The Spyder is big enough they could put one of those automatic breaking systems on it to avoid collisions. Hope she is OK. Good thing she had a helmet on otherwise this story would read differently.

I don't mean to be a nanny, but an air bag vest is a good investment.

Perhaps we could put a flower basket together for her.
    Last edited by Rogue Hawk; 03-07-2018 at 11:02 AM.
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Hawk View Post
    ...Perhaps we could put a flower basket together for her.
    I like the idea!
    If you have the information for her: put it together, and I'll be happy to chip in...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I like the idea!
    If you have the information for her: put it together, and I'll be happy to chip in...
    I don;t know anything about her. Does anyone else?
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

If you look at the enhanced picture in post #15, it goes along with what the driver said. Like WA5VHU states, the whole front end of the spyder is bent to the right. To me that means the L front of the spyder took a good hit, trying to avoid the collision, a little to late. The picture of the auto shows R rear damage, which tends to verify the auto driver's statement.
    Last edited by wyliec; 03-07-2018 at 03:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I looked very carefully at all the pics, both in their displayed and in highly enlarged sizes, and from what I can see, it's the RIGHT FRONT of the frunk just inboard of the RH Front wheel on the Spyder that has taken (or imposed) the bulk of the hit (that whole side of the Spyder has been bent back & compressed heavily back & right while the left front wheel & suspension is largely unmolested!) & from what I can see of the vehicle in the pics, it's the RIGHT REAR corner of the auto that's been hit by the Spyder, compressing the RH Rear corner 1/4 panel forwards & into the side of the auto behind the auto's RH Rear tire, that panel showing indents from the spyder frunk & headlight panel - but it looks very much like nothing much actually impacted too much further down the right hand SIDE of the vehicle or anything at all has impacted across on the left beyond the spare mounted on the door..... and from my reading of that, something (one assumes the Spyder!) has come in from behind & impacted on the point of that RIGHT rear corner of the auto, & impacted with some force diagonally forwards from the RIGHT REAR.... which is totally and impossibly at odds with the story as we've been given it of an auto being hit from behind!! A car turning LEFT would only see that sort of damage on the LEFT rear from the front of something coming from behind, possibly being hit by the left or right front of the vehicle coming from behind, but certainly being hit on the LEFT REAR or side on a vehicle actually TURNING LEFT...... unless of course the auto driver suddenly decided to turn RIGHT instead of continuing left & in doing so swerved across in front of the Spyder that may or may not have been travelling quite fast! !...... But I'm quite prepared to concede that we may not have heard the whole story or that the pics may have been reversed somehow (altho unless all of the USA has suddenly started driving on the LEFT, I somehow doubt that re the pics of the Suzuki!) but certainly, from what we've been told & shown & what I can make out from that, the story we've heard just doesn't match with the pics or story as presented! Still, I'm pretty sure that most competent accident investigators will look at the damage to the RH Rear & side on the auto & the RH Front of the Spyder & come up with the obvious conclusions... I just wonder if that will ever become general public knowledge?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-08-2018 at 03:01 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

(altho unless all of the USA has suddenly started driving on the LEFT,
    Only the drunk ones, unfortunately.