Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Install question...

First, let me say that I am mechanically inept! My tool box has a hammer and a bigger hammer.

Now the question. Signed the papers on a 2017 RT Limited today. During the last week of negotiating, the dealership said they would install turn signal lights and the rear 'third eye'. Ordered them from Lamonster, thank you sir, and now the dealership said they would not install third party items.

What can I do? Like I said, I'm not much of a mechanic, and if this dealership won't install, I have to assume others won't either. Located in NW Ohio, if that helps.

Thanks in advance!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do they say why they are backing out of the agreement?

Some dealers will install anything and some won’t. Find another dealer?
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 02-28-2018 at 12:03 AM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Do they say what they are backing out of the agreement?

Some dealers will install anything and some won’t. Find another dealer?
    Too bad you are so far away from me, or I would do it for you.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Newflover View Post
    First, let me say that I am mechanically inept! My tool box has a hammer and a bigger hammer.

Now the question. Signed the papers on a 2017 RT Limited today. During the last week of negotiating, the dealership said they would install turn signal lights and the rear 'third eye'. Ordered them from Lamonster, thank you sir, and now the dealership said they would not install third party items.

What can I do? Like I said, I'm not much of a mechanic, and if this dealership won't install, I have to assume others won't either. Located in NW Ohio, if that helps.

Thanks in advance!!
    Just did some searching. BRP does not make turn signal lights, or third eye lights (unless I looked wrong). Looks like your dealer cheated you. I hope you 1) got it in writing, 2) have not taken delivery of the RT. I would tell them to keep the bike, and cancel the deal. If not I hope you can find someone local to help out.

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold

Spyder Garage

There's an old saying about biting your nose off in spite of your face!

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    I hope you 1) got it in writing, 2) have not taken delivery of the RT. I would tell them to keep the bike, and cancel the deal. If not I hope you can find someone local to help out.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Even if you find someone else to install your aftermarket items, this dealer might also try to renege on any subsequent warranty service if they can possibly relate your problem to these new items. That sucks and it's unfair and borderline illegal but then they've already demonstrated that they don't honor their word. If you have other dealers available and other Spyders you like, I'd just tell them to stuff it and take my business elsewhere.

If you really really want this particular Spyder, ask to speak to the Big Boss, the overall manager. Don't speak to anyone less than the Big Boss; that will get their attention. Ask the Big Boss why they aren't honoring their contract. He may overrule his underlings right then and there and make you feel better. That happens a lot. Or, if he has a very convincing explanation AND can compensate you in some way for putting stuff in the contract that they won't honor, maybe you can live with that. If the Big Boss won't work with you, walk! There are lots of dealers elsewhere who want your business. You **could** threaten the Big Boss with walking out unless he honors the contract, and threaten to complain to BRP and post negative reviews on Yelp and the BBB, but I would NOT do or say that. Even if they gave in, you don't really want to do business with somebody who only honors their contract if you have to threaten them.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Default tri-lid lighting

tri-lid I think is in Columbus ohio area , they do after market lighting , and I do think they have a product line here on the --- lovers site --- friends we ride with , " crimson twins " drove their cycles there , enjoyed the area , while the work has been completed !

Spyder Garage

Default TricLed ?

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    tri-lid I think is in Columbus ohio area , they do after market lighting , and I do think they have a product line here on the --- lovers site --- friends we ride with , " crimson twins " drove their cycles there , enjoyed the area , while the work has been completed !
    I think you are referring to TricLed - although no longer a sponsor on this site you can google and find their information. They both sell and install lights.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great products: from even greater folks!

https://www.tricledusa.com/automatic
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Great products: from even greater folks!

https://www.tricledusa.com/automatic
    Couldn’t agree more!
    2015 RT-S Special Series BajaRons bar w/heim links, Spyderpops bumpskid, Lamonster's - Dual power plate w/gps swivel, NBV pegs, IPS lidlox & key cover, Spyder cuff w/holder, Perf cat-delete pipe w/ BC Thunder QQ baffle, Ultra brt LED fog & headlights. TricLED safety bundle & Wide Vu, Stebel horn, Akrapovic sport exhaust, Ultimate Croc inlay seat, BRP passenger armrests, BRP air scoop, ISCI handbrake, 23" vent windshield, Garmin 595 GPS w/Kradellock, Magic mirrors.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have to assume others won't either.

NOT a fair assumption. Call around.
    And ask the salesperson who made the original commitment exactly what he was talking about.

If you are firm but polite, maybe you can get them to install the BRP one at a big discount.

Spyder Garage

What the heck is going on with CanAm dealers.....? Do they think their products must remain pure? There is not another motorcycle manufacturer that I am aware of that takes such an attitude. Honda, Harley, Kawasaki, Etc, all have large aftermarket product offerings. Most bike owners add farkle to make their bike their own. My experience has been that the dealer will blame BRP for their lack of flexibility. Saying that BRP "won't allow" them to deviate from what BRP supplies. But when contacting BRP, they say that the dealers are independently owned and they have no control over what they do. Classic buck passing and unwillingness to accept accountability. I hope someone in authority at BRP wakes up and gives their dealer network an attitude tune up.

BTW I logged a complaint to BRP "Cares" 8 days ago and have yet to hear from them other than an automated response that they received my concern and are real busy......

Rant over
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default Newflover

First let me say I'm not calling into question your ability for any install. That being said, at least in my area, there are motorcycle shops that are quite capable of doing installs on the spyder; it's not really rocket science. So, if you get nowhere with the BRP dealer, ask any 2 wheel guy/gal where a good m/c shop is. Good luck.

By the way, I'm not talking about something or some item that requires the use of the BRP BUDS system.
    Last edited by wyliec; 02-28-2018 at 12:09 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Any bike shop (particularly the non-franchised ones.), could install these lights easily.

Spyder Garage

• Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
      Any bike shop (particularly the non-franchised ones.), could install these lights easily.

But if installation was part of the sales price, why go elsewhere?

Long shot but one possibility is that the mechanic needs some help. MY dealer originally would not install my gravel guard. I forgot who I bought the guard from, but to make a long story short the solution was to have the mechanic call the person who sold the guard for help.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post
    But if installation was part of the sales price, why go elsewhere?
    ; but you're just going to end up standing around in a pissing match with the shop.
    Demand a refund for the amount that they would have been charging for the installation, and find a shop that wants new customers.

Spyder Garage

Default And if all else fails, since you've got the parts, get the bike

Newflover,
    First I do agree with all the folks that tell you to talk to the dealership owner first, explain the situation, maybe even show them the farkles and instructions that came with them. Or get a discount for them not installing these very common upgrades. Hundreds if not thousands of Spyders are on the road with either or both of those conspicuity upgrades.

Second, I can relate to your hesitancy to install the farkles, but I suspect (as my HMT third brake/turnsignal install turned out to be) that, since you ordered the products, you could likely install those two items yourself and that it's easier than you imagine.
    I likely spent 10 times as much time fretting about installing my HMT third brake/turn signal than it took me to follow and do the instructions. I'm certain Lamonster has very easy to follow instructions (and possibly how-to videos) for both of those products.

And I can tell you the feeling of satisfaction after having completed the installs yourself is pretty darned great!
    But get your new Spyder and Enjoy the new ryde!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Update

First, I should know with my advanced maturity, I should have included the install in the contract. I didn't, my bad. Second, thanks to all of you for your input AND your thinking I can do the install myself. I think I could, but have said ut oh too many times to count and feel comfortable that I can..

I have a call into the owner and waiting to hear back. After I left a message for him to call me, the salesperson called me right away to see if there was a problem. Explained that we, he and I talked about the install, he even gave me a price to install outside of the sale. He agreed with everything I said and he is going to talk to the owner before the owner calls me back.

Time will tell!

Spyder Garage

Hope it all works out. Not good to start off with a bad taste in your mouth.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First, I should know with my advanced maturity, I should have included the install in the contract. I didn't, my bad. Second, thanks to all of you for your input AND your thinking I can do the install myself. I think I could, but have said ut oh too many times to count and feel comfortable that I can..

I have a call into the owner and waiting to hear back. After I left a message for him to call me, the salesperson called me right away to see if there was a problem. Explained that we, he and I talked about the install, he even gave me a price to install outside of the sale. He agreed with everything I said and he is going to talk to the owner before the owner calls me back.

Time will tell!
    Things are sounding much better.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    There's an old saying about biting your nose off in spite of your face!

AJ
    , but I'm kind of stubborn that way. If I make a deal with a business, (be it verbal or written), and they do not honor the deal I will go elsewhere. I find that when a dealership does the bait and switch (car or motorcycle) they will give trouble down the line.

When I was looking for my first Spyder (RS) I was talking to a dealer, they could not get the price/payments where I wanted, so we parted ways. Went to another dealer about 30 miles away, and we were able to reach a deal we were both happy with. That night the first dealer called me trying to sell me a 1 year old used RS, I told them I just left the other dealership, and we made a deal. His first question was did I take possession of it yet? When I said no, I will in two days when I arrange a ride there to pick it up. He said that since I did not take possession I can cancel the deal. I told him I don't work that way. Yes the dealership was 30 miles further, but turns out I found out they are not a dealership to do business with, and no longer sell Spyders.

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold

Spyder Garage

Thanks in advance!!
    on your new --I think.

Typical with some dealers. I am guessing they are "punishing" you for not buying the accessories from them. My advice would be to have a "friendly" talk with the owner. Remind him you just spent $30K. If the install was a part of the negotiations, they are bound by the contract--as Judge Judy would say. Step lightly, and hopefully they will take care of the customer.

Once done--I would seriously consider going to another dealer for future service.

Let us know how this latest BS turns out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks in advance!!
    They are breaking an agreement,even if it was only a verbal agreement,I'd walk and go find another dealer. If you have no other dealer still walk. there are online dealers who will match or better the agreement you had.

But usually they would rather have the sale.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Final update....

Thanks to everyone here with all of your suggestions on what I should do with my installs. After a brief conversation this morning with the owner, I am happy to report that they are going to install both lights on my new Spyder! He felt that the products from Lamonster were quality items and told his service department to install them.

Now I just have to confine my enthusiasm for about 4 weeks until riding season arrives. By the way, they are saying 3-6 inches for us tonight

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

GREAT news!