Spyder Garage

Default TT2000 2018 - South Island, New Zealand

Firstly, thought I’d share this shot from of the Skippers Canyon checkpoint as it sums up why I love this event.

There was also a great turnout with 147 riders registered this year with a wide variety of different bikes. There was even another Spyder though I didn’t catch up with them until the end.

Cyclone Gita had hit only a couple of days before, resulting in numerous road closures making several checkpoints inaccessible. I had to drop my original aim of 3250km (2019 miles) but still managed a respectable 2765km (1718 miles) within the 48-hours. However the events target is 2000km so that's still respectable.

DSC03704.jpg

First aid training came in useful but I'd rather I hadn't needed it. I was first on the scene of a downed rider with badly broken arm near Mavora Lakes (i.e. middle of nowhere). Luckily had mobile coverage and the ambo got there in under an hour.

DSC03725.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default let me be the first

has anyone else noticed , these guys got nutz ----- the speed in the curves ---- 75 { but this looks like a nice ride , are all the roads pretty much back roads . or mix of highway ? }

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    has anyone else noticed , these guys got nutz ----- the speed in the curves ---- 75 { but this looks like a nice ride , are all the roads pretty much back roads . or mix of highway ? }
    There's not really anything you'd call a highway in the South Island:-) We do have about 10km of dual lane in Christchurch but everywhere else its just a lane in each direction (the road with the 75 sign is a state highway). Most of it was tarmac but did about 100km of gravel roads over the weekend. The checkpoints are designed to get you using the really twisty/hilly routes anyway i.e. the perfect motorbike roads. Clarence Valley and Skippers Canyon were probably the hardest going as they are 4x4 only tracks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 75 on that sign would be 45 in Indiana.

kph v. mph
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Here's a video to give you an idea what Skippers is like - my photo was taken at the point 5:49 in this video.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    There's not really anything you'd call a highway in the South Island:-) We do have about 10km of dual lane in Christchurch but everywhere else its just a lane in each direction (the road with the 75 sign is a state highway). Most of it was tarmac but did about 100km of gravel roads over the weekend. The checkpoints are designed to get you using the really twisty/hilly routes anyway i.e. the perfect motorbike roads. Clarence Valley and Skippers Canyon were probably the hardest going as they are 4x4 only tracks.
    I'm glad to hear 75 was the highway number instead of the speed. I drive on 21 and everyone keeps passing me.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Default congratulations....🎉🎉🎉

You did well all considered...and it does look impressive along the way. I know Fred Rau does bike tours there and my daughter now goes every year and loves to drive around...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

NICE Photos, and great report, 1700+ miles in 48hrs of mostly non-interstate and attending an accident is VERY respectable!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default More pictures please!

I intend on spending a couple weeks next year touring the Alps on my F3-S, then hopefully either New Zealand or Norway the next. Convince me that New Zealand is where I need to go!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

All those gravel roads don't bother your drive belt?

Spyder Garage

Smile Fantastic Ride & Video!

What a ride!! Obviously you are not too concerned with "rocks in the belt", just ride it! Certainly not a road to let your attention wander! Thanks !!!

Spyder Garage

Glad you had a great time.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpot View Post
    I'm glad to hear 75 was the highway number instead of the speed. I drive on 21 and everyone keeps passing me.
    The 75 is a speed sign for the corner but as already mentioned its 75kph = 46mph so not as bad as you think:-)

The road itself if State Highway 6 which winds its way down the West Coast from the top to the bottom.

The photo was taken at 'The Neck', situated between Lake Wanaka and Lake Hawera.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    All those gravel roads don't bother your drive belt?
    I've got the Spyderpops belt guard and so far not had an issue on those sorts of roads. I do stop to check the belt and pulleys if I hear or feel anything odd. Had a couple of small stones in the back pulley before but by catching them early they don't damage the belt.

I have put a stone through one belt but that was on a newly laid section of chip and tar where the tar was still hot - that's the common cause I've heard of here. What a learnt from that was the belts are pretty tough and you can get yourself home afterwards:-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MercerLake View Post
    What a ride!! Obviously you are not too concerned with "rocks in the belt", just ride it! Certainly not a road to let your attention wander! Thanks !!!
    Funny enough you don't notice the drop so much when your riding it....well until you meet a big 4x4 coming the other way, then it becomes REALLY noticeable:-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aesculapius View Post
    I intend on spending a couple weeks next year touring the Alps on my F3-S, then hopefully either New Zealand or Norway the next. Convince me that New Zealand is where I need to go!
    The thing with NZ is that its like a 'best bits' compilation of all your favourite scenery. So you can go from snow covered mountains and glaciers, to rain forests, to desert, to rolling hills, to warm golden beaches all in a single journey. Been a few places but ever come across such compact diversity.

For people considering coming I would advise not booking during the 4 weeks after Chinese New Year. Over that recent years New Zealand has become a major destination during that time and as a result every hotel, motel, tour etc is booked to bursting point.